The Student Room Group

Poll: Do you love England?

Scroll to see replies

I love England. It's ****, but it's home. I can't really answer the question though. I do plan to live abroad in the future, but England will always be home for me.
Reply 121
Speaking of weather, UK weather defiantly beats North Carolina weather imo.

I would rather have grey but dry days over 35+ degrees C heat and 100% humidity any day.
Even places like Spain aren't that pleasant in the summer.
Original post by Jimbo1234

You can't work out what spending power is? My, you will need that inheritance.

It means what can you buy for the amount of money you have eg :

compared to for the same price....

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/11954-E-Mariposa-Grande-Dr_Scottsdale_AZ_85255_M13088-01350?ex=AZ522253692&source=web

You get screwed over by tax in this country.

Oh yeah we do, but hey we have good, free health care and council housing etc. The only really **** thing is the £9000 university fees.
Anyway, I said in my original post that no country is faultless there are just aspects of its culture that suit me. Why do you have such an issue with that?
Original post by lilyrawstorne
Oh yeah we do, but hey we have good, free health care and council housing etc. The only really **** thing is the £9000 university fees.
Anyway, I said in my original post that no country is faultless there are just aspects of its culture that suit me. Why do you have such an issue with that?

Free health care? Take a look at that pay packet again....tax....and lots of it.
This pays for your 'free' and utterly terrible health care.

Council housing would not be needed if the average house was not £162,000. Did you know in places which do not have council housing you can BUY a house for less then £20,000? That has not been possible in this county for decades.

My issue is that this country has almost nothing going for it because of peoples complacency and utter denial of these growing problems. I these people had actually confronted all these problems then England would have been a far better place rather then a country which is falling apart.

Original post by Callum828
I love England. It's ****, but it's home. I can't really answer the question though. I do plan to live abroad in the future, but England will always be home for me.

Why do you think that you have to love your home country? :confused:
There is a difference between something being familiar and safe compared to being good.
(edited 12 years ago)

Why do you think that you have to love your home country? :confused:
There is a difference between something being familiar and safe compared to being good.

I don't think I have to love it, I just do. I don't mind the **** stuff because it's OUR stuff. When things go wrong, we laugh about it and we moan about it, because we're British and that's what we do. It's like that old pair of trainers that everyone has. They might be objectively rubbish and full of holes, but you won't throw them away because they're the comfiest thing in the world.

It just kind of suits our moaning, sarcastic and eccentric national character.
No **** taxes pay for health care - I meant that's a result of having 'low spending power'.
I love England. Take some ****ing happy pills and get over it.
Original post by lilyrawstorne
No **** taxes pay for health care - I meant that's a result of having 'low spending power'.
I love England. Take some ****ing happy pills and get over it.

So then how come other countries spend more on their health care system yet not cripple people with such high taxes? :rolleyes:

I don't think I have to love it, I just do. I don't mind the **** stuff because it's OUR stuff. When things go wrong, we laugh about it and we moan about it, because we're British and that's what we do. It's like that old pair of trainers that everyone has. They might be objectively rubbish and full of holes, but you won't throw them away because they're the comfiest thing in the world.

It just kind of suits our moaning, sarcastic and eccentric national character.

So **** is fine as long as it is your own? Wow, your logic is non-existent.
When things go wrong, it is ignored and it spirals out of control. That is the British way, that is what has ****ed everyone over and unless you have some miracle job lined up, your life will simply be worse here then in many other develop countries.
The weather's not ideal sometimes :tongue:, but at the end of the day, it's home. Home sweet home. :love:
Reply 128
I personally really like the whole UK but I guess you could say I love England. I lived in Wales for a year and got to venture a lot throughout England where I just got really attached to all the places I visited/the people I met.

I can't wait to go to school there. :smile:

So **** is fine as long as it is your own? Wow, your logic is non-existent.
When things go wrong, it is ignored and it spirals out of control. That is the British way, that is what has ****ed everyone over and unless you have some miracle job lined up, your life will simply be worse here then in many other develop countries.

Well yes actually the logic is non-existent there, because it's an emotion. If I were arguing that Britain is objectively better than any other country, then I'd use logic, but I'm not, so I won't.

I was pretty clear about that in my first post, so I'm not sure why you felt the need 'correct' me?
So then how come other countries spend more on their health care system yet not cripple people with such high taxes? :rolleyes:

We have lower tax rates than most of Europe.

And we are able to receive world-standard care cheaply because an NHS-style system is the most efficient way to deliver healthcare.
The countryside is beautiful, and when I walk in it... I feel like I'm exactly where I am supposed to be.
I'm mixed about England, sometimes I love it... the countryside is absolutely beautiful and some cities are brilliant (Oxford, York, Canterbury to name a few).
It's an alright set up here, I could live in a far worse place and have a far worse life but I can't help but loathe some aspects of modern English society. There is an obsession with money, materialism, vanity and national pride (god knows why) amongst a lot of people and it makes me sick.

I don't know about the areas you guys live in but mine is horrible for competitiveness with materialistic goods. People are so pretentious, they'll go on about their new cars, new phones and in some cases the plastic surgery they've had (unfortunately I'm not joking).

I'm not sure what I expect from other countries, I just hope that there are some out there are not consumed by capitalism and materialistic goods.
Well yes actually the logic is non-existent there, because it's an emotion. If I were arguing that Britain is objectively better than any other country, then I'd use logic, but I'm not, so I won't.

I was pretty clear about that in my first post, so I'm not sure why you felt the need 'correct' me?

What you said was not emotive but made no sense. I like our crap because it is ours? Yeah....that makes no sense and sounds more like someone trying to convince themselves that they like somewhere bad with the most inane reasoning possible.

We have lower tax rates than most of Europe.

And we are able to receive world-standard care cheaply because an NHS-style system is the most efficient way to deliver healthcare.

No we don't as we have so many taxes - look at fuel for a start.
Now consider why British spending power is so low. It always come back to taxes. :rolleyes:

As for cheap - the NHS is far from cheap and of a very poor standard with some of the worst waiting times in Europe, hell, Cuba manages to have a better health system then we do.
I wonder why you think that the NHS is the most efficient way to deliver healthcare. If this was the case then why is it so bad? Surely it should be the best unless of course the country can't run it well due to incompetence or that it is inherently a bad system which would explain why only one other country has a free health system.

To everyone else on this thread:

Have any of you recently looked at employment rates or house prices?
Have you seen the declining state of the economy?
Many of you are probably just starting uni but once you deal with these 'real world' problems they take away any fairytale misconception you have of England and just make it a crap country that makes your life much harder then it should be. Seriously, just go online and look at salaries and house prices in your area and then tell me if everything is merry and fun.
(edited 12 years ago)
What you said was not emotive but made no sense. I like our crap because it is ours? Yeah....that makes no sense and sounds more like someone trying to convince themselves that they like somewhere bad with the most inane reasoning possible.

No we don't as we have so many taxes - look at fuel for a start.
Now consider why British spending power is so low. It always come back to taxes. :rolleyes:

As for cheap - the NHS is far from cheap and of a very poor standard with some of the worst waiting times in Europe, hell, Cuba manages to have a better health system then we do.
I wonder why you think that the NHS is the most efficient way to deliver healthcare. If this was the case then why is it so bad? Surely it should be the best unless of course the country can't run it well due to incompetence or that it is inherently a bad system which would explain why only one other country has a free health system.

To everyone else on this thread:

Have any of you recently looked at employment rates or house prices?
Have you seen the declining state of the economy?
Many of you are probably just starting uni but once you deal with these 'real world' problems they take away any fairytale misconception you have of England and just make it a crap country that makes your life much harder then it should be. Seriously, just go online and look at salaries and house prices in your area and then tell me if everything is merry and fun.

Dude, stop starting on people just cause they say they like England. Who are you to tell others what to like? So what if you don't like the country, just leave and you won't have to put up with it any more. Why does it bother you so much that people like a place that you don't, it hardly affects you if they like it here and want to stay. One little piece of advice, the grass is not always greener on the other side, there is no such thing as perfect country but if you'll be happier elsewhere then go there.
I'm proud of many of the things this country has achieved and its people, but I know it has a lot of flaws. Yeah, I guess I do. I mean like, you love your mother right, as long as she's not totally abusive, and this country isn't nearly bad enough to make me having lived here all my life not mean something to me.
Yes. I can't stand people who go on about how crap England is. It's a fantastic country with a brilliant history and you could certainly do a lot worse.
Of course I do, even love the weather although for some reason a fair few white folks think Pakistanis not only hate them but the country as well due to the negative press we seem to get as we get lumped with the odd extremist donut supposedly representing all Pakistanis.
Reply 138
There are things I hate about it, but on the whole I love England. It's my home and I can't imagine living anywhere else.
Reply 139
Original post by Atheist Britain
I love England and all other white countries

This. I think Europe is the best continent on earth. If a country has a white majority then it typically be a stable, prosperous country, with a sophisticated social and technological structure. I love all white countries

Quick Reply

Latest