The Student Room Group

Man arrested for burning the Quran

Scroll to see replies

Original post by agolati
I'm glad this idiot got arrested.

Even though I don't agree with atheism and think that it's implications are harmful and very damaging to society (don't question me about it, i really cba and you're probably full of empty rhetoric anyways), I'm not going to burn the writings of some of the prophets of Atheism, especially considering it could mean something to others who have read and loved it.

i dont understand why bnp, do it this way.
they should just be like. yeah we wnna embrace the white culture.
not be full on racist!
Reply 282
hes an interesting video on the same subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C6ZsEm_NyE&feature=feedu

the last point he makes i think the best point, had a bible been burnt no one would care. Its not that big of a deal its just a book
Original post by moonkatt
so I presume the majority of people here are against the banning of the burka and niqab then?

I definitely am, its pretty hypocritical to say we are liberal and people have the freedom to wear what they like and turn around and say some people can't wear this or that. In my view you are no better than the people you criticise.
An Iranian and Afghan have burnt the Koran inside IRAN of all places... Hope for their sakes they don't get caught :l
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 285
so I presume the majority of people here are against the banning of the burka and niqab then?

Absolutely. A nightmarish tyranny of the majority. Islam may be absurd to most Europeans, but absurdity is only a crime where it causes actual, illegal harm to others. So, a man forcing his wife to wear such a ridiculous garment, and backing that up with violence, is domestic abuse and punishable as such. But many, many Muslim women see this as their religious duty, and actually regard it as a way of escaping the sexual objectification of men - even if I think that's daft, I would only ever seek to convince them in debate, never to have the organs of state repression force them into line with my way of thinking. Because, even aside from the fact that it's a repellently illiberal way of acting in the first place, there's no end to it - a slippery slope of allowing ever more nannying interference from the government. The reality is, if a woman doesn't want to wear it but does because otherwise her husband will hit her, she needs to argue with or leave him of her own accord - if he hits her, she needs to report that specific crime to the police. The relationship with her husband is her business and her responsibility, and does not warrant mediation from a bloated, arrogant state.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 286
Original post by Snore
Ridiculous. How can you seriously believe that the government should intervene to prevent people insulting each other or "impinging on each other's thoughts"? I find all the holy books you list utterly repellent, for many reasons including that I find them insulting - should I be able to send the police into churches, synagogues and mosques to shut them down and imprison the people inside because their ideologies clash with my personal values? No. Let them discuss their fairies and elves in peace. Let certain Christians be anti-gay. Let certain Muslims be anti-Semitic. Let anti-Muslims be anti-Muslim.

Not for ideologies, of course not. You can't police people's thoughts or personal beliefs. But for actions carried out against people, such as burning holy books, that are then called freedom of expression? That's when I think people should intervene. For example, would you allow violent racism to be carried out in front of you? Would you stand by while gay men or lesbians were spat on or beaten? (And I'm sorry but I'm curious, why do you find the holy books repellent? I am not religious at all, but I consider them as a sort of literature, at least.)
I'm sorry if what I wrote offended you in any way. I wasn't trying to be antagonistic, but I truly do believe that taunting a large group of people by burning a book considered precious to them is wrong.

Well personally I think people should be allowed to wear whatever they want. I wouldn't personally support a ban on Burka/Niqab in the UK.

But arresting someone for burning a religious book? Nope I don't think that is right.
Reply 288
Original post by JonathanNorth
Well personally I think people should be allowed to wear whatever they want. I wouldn't personally support a ban on Burka/Niqab in the UK.

But arresting someone for burning a religious book? Nope I don't think that is right.

The case was withdrawn. There was an arrest because the police had to investigate claim that the BNP candidate was inciting religious hatred, but it was thrown out because they didn't have sufficient evidence. Burning the Q'uran isn't enough.

Source
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by B-Man.
The case was withdrawn. There was an arrest because the police had to investigate claim that the BNP candidate was inciting religious hatred, but it was thrown out because they didn't have sufficient evidence. Burning the Q'uran isn't enough.

Source

So how else was he inciting religious hatred, other than burning the Quran?

If you want to burn a religious book then publicise it, I really don't think there is a problem with that. But that's just my opinion. :smile:
Reply 290
So how else was he inciting religious hatred, other than burning the Quran?

They were investigating whether he made disparaging remarks aimed at all Muslims before he burnt it. However, due to the lack of evidence of this he was consequently released and the case withdrawn.
(edited 13 years ago)
What if it was purely because he was cold? :s-smilie: or am I just being naive.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by B-Man.
They were investigating whether he made disparaging remarks aimed at all Muslims before he burnt it. However, due to the lack of evidence of this he was consequently released and the case withdrawn.

lol That is what I mean. "Disparaging remarks" and suddenly you can be taken to court for that? That is not true freedom of speech.
Reply 293
lol That is what I mean. "Disparaging remarks" and suddenly you can be taken to court for that? That is not true freedom of speech.

Suddenly!? What the hell are you talking about? You could always be taken to court for inciting racial or religious hatred. The law you would be breaking is the Racial and Religious Hatred Act.

You don't understand what freedom of speech is. Freedom of speech always has limitations. Basically, you are free to express any opinion you like, but it cannot break two fundamental rules: you cannot incite hatred towards a particular group (Blacks, Gays, Muslims etc) and you cannot incite violence.
Reply 294
I thought burning the Koran was the respectful way of disposing of one in Islam? So surely it's not an offence?
Reply 295
Original post by S_123
I thought burning the Koran was the respectful way of disposing of one in Islam? So surely it's not an offence?

Yes and no it's not an offence.
Original post by B-Man.
Suddenly!? What the hell are you talking about? You could always be taken to court for inciting racial or religious hatred. The law you would be breaking is the Racial and Religious Hatred Act.

Semantics. Purely meant that you can be taken to court for something which isn't even credible that the prosecution drop the case, due to lack of evidence.

The crime should be the violence which ensues as opposed to words which make people mad.

Original post by B-Man.

You don't understand what freedom of speech is. Freedom of speech always has limitations. Basically, you are free to express any opinion you like, but it cannot break two fundamental rules: you cannot incite hatred towards a particular group (Blacks, Gays, Muslims etc) and you cannot incite violence.

By definition that is not freedom of speech.
Reply 297
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
I don't really understand why you would want to burn one :\

anyway, in my view, freedom of speech doesn't include the freedom to deliberately offend other people's culture, religion or traditions

Ditto. This guy's a genius...compared to a lot of other TSRians
Reply 298
Semantics. Purely meant that you can be taken to court for something which isn't even credible that the prosecution drop the case, due to lack of evidence.

He wasn't taken to court. What are you talking about? Did you even read the story?

The crime should be the violence which ensues as opposed to words which make people mad.

:facepalm: That is a crime.
We should burn the rest of them to as well as all the bibles and everything else to do with religion. At least he's got the ball rolling.

All religion does is cause violence. Every single forum I go on has a religion section where people argue about books and how some bloke up above the clouds magically impregnated a woman who decided to give her son a Spanish name even though both her and Joseph were from Israel. Then you have the Muslims. Allah teaches us peace yet I stick the tv on a few weeks back and there are Muslims chanting about the war dead. Peace my ass!

Religion is responsible for so much conflict! religion causes racial tension and social divide. Its beyond pathetic!!

bol!ocks to religion, let's have some real talk!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending