The Student Room Group

Changing mind on ucas firm and insurance!

So, I've already firmed and insuranced on ucas.
Now, I'm having a change of heart and I think I want to go to my insurance choice.
Is this still possible? Can I change it on ucas?
Also, on results day if I get into my firm, in theory ive also got a place at the insurance uni, so do you think I would be able to do that?

Thanks if anyone can help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
14 days from the date on the letter UCAS sends you after you choose your firm and insurance.

If your over 14 days that then it won't be possible via UCAS so possibly contact the uni and explain the situation?

Heres the link to the UCAS changing your mind FAQ and info page.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mmm_66
Now, I'm having a change of heart and I think I want to go to my insurance choice.
Also, on results day if I get into my firm, in theory ive also got a place at the insurance uni, so do you think I would be able to do that?

yup possible call in to ucas and hve them update it... if its been more than 14 days just call ur uni n change it... i would talk 2 ucas first tho.. gd luck
Reply 3
Yes you can, just ask your firm choice to release you and you will automatically go to you insurance choise. However, this does mean you won't be able to go back to your firm choice.
Original post by mmm_66

You can only make the swap as described by Nayberay above. If it is later than fourteen days then your best bet is to ask your firm to release you, leaving your insurance as your only accepted offer (i.e. no insurance). Once results day comes around it is far too late. You can either go to the firm (assuming you get the required grades) or ask it to release you into clearing, where you can find something else, but getting released into clearing may take some time and the best places in clearing will diappear very quickly. You cannot choose, at that stage, to go to your insurance.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people keep doing this. There was no need to make a decison for another three weeks, and this case illustrates how important it is to take the time to get this decision right since it is anywhere from difficult to impossible to change.
If you want to change as said before you contact both UCAS and all universties involved. There is a nice long form to fill in!

Deleted

Changed this as information I had was wrong :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by pianofluteftw
If you want to change as said before you contact both UCAS and all universties involved. There is a nice long form to fill in!
And particularly this year, the insurance place is NOT guarenteed for most Unis. On competitive courses they will have filled up most of the places with firmers who got the grades. Theoretically there should be places left over for insurance, but with 20% increase in applications there is not a guarentee :s-smilie:
Choose a firm you are confident about getting the grades for - playing on luck wont help! :smile:

This is complete rubbish; ignore it. The whole point of the insurance choice is that it is guaranteed to accept you (as long as you get the grades required, of course) if you don't attain the grades required for the firmly accepted offer.
I'm sorry - I have therefore been misinformed by my school - I was told there was no guarantee but it was 98% likely you would go.
All the best for the future! :smile:
Original post by pianofluteftw
I have therefore been misinformed by my school

Sadly, there is a lot of it about.
Original post by Good bloke
Sadly, there is a lot of it about.

Indeed. Well thankyou for clarifying that for me! I was terrified I maybe wouldn't get to go to Uni! And all I could find anywhere was that Universties retain the right to make changes to individual offers until a letter of acceptance had been received.

Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by Good bloke
You can only make the swap as described by Nayberay above. If it is later than fourteen days then your best bet is to ask your firm to release you, leaving your insurance as your only accepted offer (i.e. no insurance). Once results day comes around it is far too late. You can either go to the firm (assuming you get the required grades) or ask it to release you into clearing, where you can find something else, but getting released into clearing may take some time and the best places in clearing will diappear very quickly. You cannot choose, at that stage, to go to your insurance.

For the life of me I cannot understand why people keep doing this. There was no need to make a decison for another three weeks, and this case illustrates how important it is to take the time to get this decision right since it is anywhere from difficult to impossible to change.

Thanks for the reply
So, is there a deadline for when i can ask the firm choice to release me, or is it up until results day?
Original post by mmm_66
Thanks for the reply
So, is there a deadline for when i can ask the firm choice to release me, or is it up until results day?

The system closes down about a week before results day and it won't be possible from that point onwards. Add in time for the university to get its act together and the last safe time to ask would be a good fortnight before results day. The earlier the better though.
Reply 12
Ok i'm on a gap year and so can only accept one offer as i have unconditionals...I'm feeling really worried and i think i've made the wrong choice and I now really want to go to one of the ones I declined. i suppose i cant change this can I because I actually declined it and couldnt pick it as an insurance? i know its stupid of me to make the wrong choice but I honestly didnt realise how much i wanted to go to Cardiff (which is the one I declined) when I picked! I found the decision really tough and now feel i've chosen wrongly :frown:
Original post by dingdong1
Ok i'm on a gap year and so can only accept one offer as i have unconditionals...I'm feeling really worried and i think i've made the wrong choice and I now really want to go to one of the ones I declined. i suppose i cant change this can I because I actually declined it and couldnt pick it as an insurance? i know its stupid of me to make the wrong choice but I honestly didnt realise how much i wanted to go to Cardiff (which is the one I declined) when I picked! I found the decision really tough and now feel i've chosen wrongly :frown:

How long ago did you choose?
Original post by mmm_66

If you get the grades for your firm, your insurance place will be released and you will only be able to get in in clearing, 14 days after making your choices you can change your mind. Otherwise, you could always just not get the grades for your firm.

UCAS says:

I've met the grades for my firm offer but I now want to go to my insurance choice. What should I do?

You have made a commitment to your firm choice so if you no longer want to attend the course you should contact the university or college to discuss your situation. As soon as you were accepted at your firm choice, your insurance choice would have been informed - this means that the place is no longer held for you, even if you have met the terms of the offer, so you will need to contact them to see if they can still offer you the place. If your firm choice agrees to withdraw your offer, you will be entered into Clearing - if your insurance choice can still offer you a place, they can make you an offer in Clearing.
Reply 15
Original post by TheSownRose
How long ago did you choose?

Just a couple of days ago, on friday
Original post by dingdong1
Just a couple of days ago, on friday

Then it's quite possible you'll be able to change it around, because you have a fourteen day grace period during which you can make changes - phone UCAS when they're next open (probably Tuesday) and see if they can retrieve your rejected offers.
Reply 17
Original post by TheSownRose
Then it's quite possible you'll be able to change it around, because you have a fourteen day grace period during which you can make changes - phone UCAS when they're next open (probably Tuesday) and see if they can retrieve your rejected offers.

Ohhh i hope so! its just because I had to reject them that i'm so worried..they might have given my place away. but considering it's been a bank holiday weekend i guess hopefully not...fingers crossed. anyway even if im not able to change i'm sure i'll be happy at the one i've got, just gotta be positive
Can someone urgently help me? I selected my firm and insurance yesterday, but I want to swap them over now. I have learnt that I can do this within 14 days of replying to my offers. Question is, how? The deadline for replies is the 5th may...
Original post by darkprince216
Can someone urgently help me? I selected my firm and insurance yesterday, but I want to swap them over now. I have learnt that I can do this within 14 days of replying to my offers. Question is, how? The deadline for replies is the 5th may...

Contact UCAS tomorrow, shouldn't be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending