The Student Room Group

Mother has no respect for my privacy!

I am so angry, my mum just went through my things in my bedroom 'looking for the remote' and came across my padlocked box (hidden at the very back of one of my drawers) to which I keep private things. I was in the shower she then banged on the door demanding to know what was in there and rattling it about. I am seriously at my wits end. But the annoying thing is that SHE is the one angry at ME cos she thinks i'm hiding something! I'm eighteen!! I'm moving out in September but have no where to go until then. I have tried sitting down with her and talking about it but she's the one who gets angry at me saying I'm hiding stuff. She opens my mail and reads my texts. The reason I bought the padlocked box in the first place was so she wouldn't be able to go through my things but I guess this has not worked. I'm so worked up right now, and I know for a fact as soon as i'm off to college tomorrow she will somehow manage to break into the padlocked box cause that is what she's like. When I was a bit younger she went through my phone and found some messages to an ex that were slightly 'naughty' and went mental at me, didn't talk to me for weeks even though she invaded my privacy, she doesn't even care about that. I could forgive her then however as I wasn't legally an adult but now i'm nearly nineteen I am so angry, I can't stop shaking.

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think thats the point of the thread. I just wanted to know if other people had been in this situation.
Reply 2
Take the box to college? If it's small just put it in your bag.
Reply 3
Original post by snowyowl
I feel that this is going to be the "What's in the box?" thread mark II from a while back.

Well I figured this would be the case. However its not so much the box its just her invasion of my privacy in general and whether anyone had any advice about it. Guess i won't be getting serious answers..
It's not like Pandora's box where if you open it a ton of evil **** comes out? :afraid:

Nowhere better to hide the box? Or is she keeping it atm?

Is your mum Asian? (stereotype I know, just checking people)

Sounds like a massive bitch to me.
Reply 5
Original post by Willum Infanta
It's not like Pandora's box where if you open it a ton of evil **** comes out? :afraid:

Nowhere better to hide the box? Or is she keeping it atm?

Is your mum Asian? (stereotype I know, just checking people)

Sounds like a massive bitch to me.

No! haha. Surely it doesn't take a rocket science to figure out whats in the box. Come on.
No she is not asian haha. Yes she is. She has just came in and had a go at me again. ARGH :frown:
is she spanish?

my mom's the exact way. spanish women are crazy
whats in the box OP???

take it with you to school???
Reply 8
Empty the box of its current contents, fill it with soil from the garden, leave it in your room for her to open tomorrow.

She'll be so disappointed at not finding anything significant she might refrain from looking in it again.

Then again she might just shout at you for bringing mud into the house, any excuse to start an argument.
Reply 9
Original post by senator88
I am so angry, my mum just went through my things in my bedroom 'looking for the remote' and came across my padlocked box (hidden at the very back of one of my drawers) to which I keep private things. I was in the shower she then banged on the door demanding to know what was in there and rattling it about. I am seriously at my wits end. But the annoying thing is that SHE is the one angry at ME cos she thinks i'm hiding something! I'm eighteen!! I'm moving out in September but have no where to go until then. I have tried sitting down with her and talking about it but she's the one who gets angry at me saying I'm hiding stuff. She opens my mail and reads my texts. The reason I bought the padlocked box in the first place was so she wouldn't be able to go through my things but I guess this has not worked. I'm so worked up right now, and I know for a fact as soon as i'm off to college tomorrow she will somehow manage to break into the padlocked box cause that is what she's like. When I was a bit younger she went through my phone and found some messages to an ex that were slightly 'naughty' and went mental at me, didn't talk to me for weeks even though she invaded my privacy, she doesn't even care about that. I could forgive her then however as I wasn't legally an adult but now i'm nearly nineteen I am so angry, I can't stop shaking.

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

I've fortunately never been in this situation, but I'd recommend upgrading this box to something a bit more secure. Your mum sounds like the sort of person that would go at the padlock with some bolt croppers... :erm:
I would suggest hiding it under a floorboard... but I tried to do that once and broke the floorboard. I just put the carpet back over it and my parents never found out. :teehee:

Er, yeah, either take it to school, or remove the contents and hide them somewhere else. She'll probably be so fixated on getting into the box that it won't occur to her that the things in it could have moved.

Seriously though she is a bitch and needs to learn some boundaries!
If she's opening your mail and you're 18, that's illegal.

Now, what is in that damn box?
Reply 12
Take your stuff out of the box, hide it somewhere else for the day. Leave a few little things like a pretend note from your last day of school from a friend or something, maybe print a picture and stick it in there?
then you get to be all high and mighty like "see, it's nothing bad -.-" when she gets into it :')
Reply 13
Thanks for all the repsonses. This morning she barged in my room and looked for about twenty minutes for the key whilst I was screaming at her. I just can't believe it. But it doesn't matter what I say, she doesn't think she is doing anything wrong. I'll probably take it to college with me but that will spur her on more. I'm not angry cos I'm hiding stuff, I'm angry because of the principle of the thing, that she has no respect for me. But she will not listen to this. She thinks I'm angry cos she will find out what i'm hiding. ARGH!!
maybe write her a letter or a note telling her how you feel, that at 18 you feel you need and are entitled to your privacy and should be allowed to have it. Tell her you are not hiding things from her to hurt her and there's nothing to worry about. Ask her if she would have wanted her mum to know every little thing about her at her age. Mention the post. Try to come across calmly and reasonably in the letter. Clearly while she is angry talking just won't do it. A letter might make her think about it and digest things.

Seriously though. Out of curiosity. Whats in the box?
Reply 15
vibrator box??

my mum was like this to a lesser extent, would 'accidentally' open my mail, 'just happen to see a text' on my phone. i didnt have any interesting mail anyway and i then put codes and stuff on my phone and kept it on me all the time! i think it's just a case of biding your time before you go to uni, that's what i did and now i get much more privacy when im at home.

i know it's annoying but she's only looking out for you and checking you arent hooked on drugs or somethng!

edit : whats that neg all about?!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Peachykeen09
is she spanish?

my mom's the exact way. spanish women are crazy

All women are crazy.
Move the contents of the box before going anywhere... Put something really innocent in.
Find a better hiding place in future?
Reply 18
Whilst it IS a massive invasion of your privacy, she probably things you've got a box full of drugs or something, especially being as you're gertting angry with her and refusing to let her into it. If it's nothing illegal but instead just something embarassing, then letting her look really would be the best thing to do and THEN tell her what you think of her invading your privacy like this.
Make it so she can get into the box (eg leave the key lying around) and then put something in there to throw her off.

Make her feel guilty by putting photos of her and your family in there. Write a list that makes it look like you are planning an amazing surprise for her - when she ;ooks inside she'll 'ruin' it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending