The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5860
Original post by marcusmerehay
Southampton will be back in the Championship next season! About time too!

Shame Exeter have tailed off, but at least they're going to be mid-table, far higher than expected.

Despite having a family full of Pompey fans I'd like to see Southampton get the second promotion spot. It would be nice to see the derby next season as well as us being up there...hopefully it'll all be sealed up by Tuesday when we beat Dagenham & Redbridge at home.
QPR - Champions
Automatic Promotion - Swansea
Play offs - Norwich who will beat Cardiff in the final.

Reading are the team this year on a good run towards the end of the season so watch out for them.
Original post by Ben Butler
QPR - Champions
Automatic Promotion - Swansea
Play offs - Norwich who will beat Cardiff in the final.

Reading are the team this year on a good run towards the end of the season so watch out for them.

I did the predictor a few weeks ago and Cardiff made second place. I suspect your views would be preferred by everyone in the Premiership.
Original post by barnetlad
I did the predictor a few weeks ago and Cardiff made second place. I suspect your views would be preferred by everyone in the Premiership.

Out of interest why do you think this?

For me the best footballing sides in the championship are QPR and Swansea. Swansea's home record speaks volumes of how good they can be whilst playing on poor pitches can often be a problem for them (often get unstuck against the smaller sides away note Scunny and Preston and apparently their pitches were real bad). Surely in the Premiership all pitches are to a good standard (almost at least) so Swansea should benefit more so? Obviously this is a smallish issue but seeing as Swansea are a very good footballing side surely this would be good for them. Also with Sinclair and Borini (heard reports of Borini signing on a permanent deal and that guy has the potential to be world class) they have the best strike force out of Norwich and Cardiff, and also a better defence, and a fantastic keeper, than Norwich (not sure what Cardiff's are like) and a very good midfield. Guess that's the complete football team for you that Swansea are atm. I'm not the most clued up on football atm, but have tried to keep up to date so might be talking a load of rubbish, so put me right if i am.
Original post by DJB_1990
Donny Rovers for League One 2011/2012? Our dismal run continues, losing 1-3 at home to Cardiff. We simply must beat PNE at home on Tuesday, lose that and then we're really in the **** if we're not already with Scunny and PNE getting good results.

I think you're being a bit alarmist. Scunny have 3 points from the last 6, and those came at the weekend against a team half on holiday already. Admittedly Preston are doing a bit better, but you're 9 clear of them with 6 games left, even if you weren't to pick up a point, then I think you could survive.
Original post by Gob Bluth

For me the best footballing sides in the championship are QPR and Swansea. Swansea's home record speaks volumes of how good they can be whilst playing on poor pitches can often be a problem for them (often get unstuck against the smaller sides away note Scunny and Preston and apparently their pitches were real bad). Surely in the Premiership all pitches are to a good standard (almost at least) so Swansea should benefit more so? Obviously this is a smallish issue but seeing as Swansea are a very good footballing side surely this would be good for them. Also with Sinclair and Borini (heard reports of Borini signing on a permanent deal and that guy has the potential to be world class) they have the best strike force out of Norwich and Cardiff, and also a better defence, and a fantastic keeper, than Norwich (not sure what Cardiff's are like) and a very good midfield. Guess that's the complete football team for you that Swansea are atm. I'm not the most clued up on football atm, but have tried to keep up to date so might be talking a load of rubbish, so put me right if i am.
Spot on that, Swansea are one of the best footballing sides in the league, great keeper, great defence and a formiddable home record. Norwich are hugely overachieving but have a manager in Lambert that has done a great job and Cardiff have the players such as Whittingham, Chopra, Bellamy, Bothroyd but defensively they are not the best for me and have an issue with the keeper as Marshall is the only good one they have. Do not particularly rate Heaton or Brown.
Reply 5866
Marshall's a pretty poor keeper. Good shot stopper but that's about it.

Cardiff had the easier run in which is probably why they ended up second when I did the predictor. Swansea do play better football than them.
Not now sure what will happen to Barnet- now that Martin Allen's left. Was beginning to sense survival, not sure now.
Original post by ollymo
Marshall's a pretty poor keeper. Good shot stopper but that's about it.
One of the better keepers in the Championship and probably the second best bet for the Scotland team apart from Gordon.
Got to say Cardiff are in pole position now for the final automatic spot. Reading are in the hunt too now. It's the 4 of them which will challenge for it. Leeds and Forest are too far away.
Reply 5871
Not agreeing with those saying Swansea play great football, it's a complete myth. If you actually pay attention to the whole 90 minutes of their games rather than the snipets showing their goals on the FL show you'll probably spend 70% of your time watching their back 4 pass the ball to each other. Only when they eventually get Sinclair involved do they play 'great' football. Not saying they don't deserve to be in contention though, one of the best defences in the league and they rarely look like they'll let a lead slip (apart from tonight :biggrin:)

Congratulations to Brighton on promotion, nice little club.
Original post by Buddski
Not agreeing with those saying Swansea play great football, it's a complete myth. If you actually pay attention to the whole 90 minutes of their games rather than the snipets showing their goals on the FL show you'll probably spend 70% of your time watching their back 4 pass the ball to each other. Only when they eventually get Sinclair involved do they play 'great' football. Not saying they don't deserve to be in contention though, one of the best defences in the league and they rarely look like they'll let a lead slip (apart from tonight :biggrin:)

Congratulations to Brighton on promotion, nice little club.

'Location: Cardiff' says it all :biggrin:

But yeh i guess you don't see the Swans much anyway other than when Cardiff play them and like you said when their goals are showed and when they are on tv, which is rare. Of course what you say has a point, they're not fantastic, but still they are very good imo when i have seen them, and most importantly better than the rest in the league really imo.
Big win for us last night. Into the automatic spot. Surely that must give the players some confidence and fire.
Can really see us going up now. Although I do say that most times and we end up ****ing it up somehow :frown:
Original post by WelshBluebird
Big win for us last night. Into the automatic spot. Surely that must give the players some confidence and fire.
Can really see us going up now. Although I do say that most times and we end up ****ing it up somehow :frown:

It was a nailed on win for you last night. I've just read the match reports, both neutral and the ones from our fans. Truely awful, you didn't need to get out of first gear apparently. We really must start playing the youngsters now and look towards next season as this season was over weeks ago.
Good luck in getting promoted. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Cardiff back in pole position. They have the biggest budget by far and probably the most high profile players of the teams but Norwich and Swansea are still only just behind them and Reading can't be ruled out either. I was suprised that Swansea drew last night, usually when they take the lead at home they win, not many goals conceded.
Reply 5876
Cardiff look like they've got the easiest run in so it's theirs to lose. After them I'd actually go for Reading given their current form and of course Swansea have a great chance too.

If we're to have a chance of 2nd we've got to win at least one of our next two against Forest and the binners, if we're still in touch after those there's a good chance of taking 2nd. Still waiting on the news of Holt's fitness and Wes. Not a good time for your best two players to get injured.
Original post by ollymo
Cardiff look like they've got the easiest run in so it's theirs to lose. After them I'd actually go for Reading given their current form and of course Swansea have a great chance too.

If we're to have a chance of 2nd we've got to win at least one of our next two against Forest and the binners, if we're still in touch after those there's a good chance of taking 2nd. Still waiting on the news of Holt's fitness and Wes. Not a good time for your best two players to get injured.

Reading have the easiest run in, coupled with good GD. Cardiff, Swansea, and Norwich have quite an equal run in imo. I actually tip Reading to nick it atm... Hope they don't though. I'm still hoping for Cardiff and Swansea to go up. Swansea for the auto promotion though :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5878
Reading have the easiest run in, coupled with good GD. Cardiff, Swansea, and Norwich have quite an equal run in imo. I actually tip Reading to nick it atm... Hope they don't though. I'm still hoping for Cardiff and Swansea to go up. Swansea for the auto promotion though :biggrin:

The next two games will be tough for Reading against teams fighting for play off spots. Cardiff have 2 possibly 3 tough games with Preston fighting for their lives. Also depends if Burnley have anything to play for although being a Norwich fan I should know all about coming unstuck against at team like that on the final day, 6-0 against Fulham :colondollar: And again, 2/3 tough games for you guys. I'm not saying that all the other games a guaranteed wins but not as hard as the others.

Congrats on your win on Saturday, you're a very well organised team at the back. Payback for the daylight robbery at Carrow road.
Original post by ollymo
The next two games will be tough for Reading against teams fighting for play off spots. Cardiff have 2 possibly 3 tough games with Preston fighting for their lives. Also depends if Burnley have anything to play for although being a Norwich fan I should know all about coming unstuck against at team like that on the final day, 6-0 against Fulham :colondollar: And again, 2/3 tough games for you guys. I'm not saying that all the other games a guaranteed wins but not as hard as the others.

Congrats on your win on Saturday, you're a very well organised team at the back. Payback for the daylight robbery at Carrow road.

Thanks, true i guess, i'm not a big footy fan, and more of the armchair type, but still follow it and hope for the success of Swansea City and Welsh football in general!

Latest