The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bomberdoom
WOW! Good Maths and F Maths UMS and Economics UMS! That is all you really need for applications. History too! :tongue:

I would agree with below:

Original post by Groat
Along with personality, motivation and a passion for Economics. :colondollar:

Although I can't say I wouldn't be happy with the UMS posted above!

Although grades of course are important you need to show an interest in your discipline through your PS (mainly).

Original post by tateco
The lowest he gets to is 94%, no wonder he got all the offers he did. so jealous :L

There are other important things :tongue: I know plenty of people who got rejected from Cambridge as well as other top unis (LSE, UCL) despite having better grades than me.

Original post by tateco
I'm afraid I've already missed the 94% in one of my subject where I only got 93.3, maybe I can drag it up in summer :wink:

I feel that although UMS are important for getting an interview, or being pooled (for Cambridge this is), there are other vital components to your application mainly the interview.

If you maintain those scores that you are getting, you are on the right track :smile: OH but make sure you get top UMS in maths/economics for Cambridge. Especially maths!

For other unis, those A* predictions are important. So get yourselves into a position where your school will do that for you. (Mind you LSE did ask for UMS this year for Economics and M+E)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 261
Original post by Groat
93.3% is still pretty amazing! I'm sure you'll manage to pull the score up with an amazing score in June.

Will you be getting your reference to mention your UMS marks?

If they're all above 90 yes, if they're not I'll just get them to mention the one's I get 100% in
Reply 262
Original post by The Young Economist
I would agree with below:

Although grades of course are important you need to show an interest in your discipline through your PS (mainly).

There are other important things :tongue: I know plenty of people who got rejected from Cambridge as well as other top unis (LSE, UCL) despite having better grades than me.

I feel that although UMS are important for getting an interview, or being pooled (for Cambridge this is), there are other vital components to your application mainly the interview.

If you maintain those scores that you are getting, you are on the right track :smile: OH but make sure you get top UMS in maths/economics for Cambridge. Especially maths!

For other unis, those A* predictions are important. So get yourselves into a position where your school will do that for you. (Mind you LSE did ask for UMS this year for Economics and M+E)

Thanks for the tips! I'm on course for 100% in Economics and Maths, with my other subjects being closely followed.

Out of curiosity, what made you choose Cambridge over Oxford?
Reply 263

How can you ensure your school predict you what they should? I am getting 93%+ in all my modules so far so theoretically should I get predicted all A*'s. Do teachers talk to you and agree predictions with you and can you contest them if you feel they are unfair?
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
Thanks for the tips! I'm on course for 100% in Economics and Maths, with my other subjects being closely followed.

Out of curiosity, what made you choose Cambridge over Oxford?

No respectable Economist would want to study Management :tongue:

Haha, no basically I did want to study straight Economics and management didn't really appeal to me. I really liked the look of Cambridge as well when I visited. TBH i didn't really seriously consider Oxford. Nonetheless it's a fabulous institution with a great albeit v competitive course.

Original post by tateco
How can you ensure your school predict you what they should? I am getting 93%+ in all my modules so far so theoretically should I get predicted all A*'s. Do teachers talk to you and agree predictions with you and can you contest them if you feel they are unfair?

I guess it depends on the school and their quota/guidelines. In my school about 5 people got predicted A*s in any shape or form, basically because my school is rubbish. In my friends school which is quite good I think, if you got 90%+ you got predicted an A*. So it all depends on your school. How flexible they are is up to your teachers I guess.

In most cases I believe teachers decide themselves without pupil input. I'm sure the attitude of the student is a factor. You must remember though that A2 is harder than AS. You're grades are on target for A*s hopefully and if you do put them in your reference, it will confirm it for universities. Regarding 'contesting unfair predictions' I guess it depends when you apply, the Oxbridge deadline comes pretty quickly, so it depends upon the swiftness of your school/teachers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 265

Haha, no basically I did want to study straight Economics and management didn't really appeal to me. I really liked the look of Cambridge as well when I visited. TBH i didn't really seriously consider Oxford. Nonetheless it's a fabulous institution with a great albeit v competitive course.

I don't mind the prospect of studying some management modules, it all seems relevant and I like the idea of broadening your study at university.

I was slightly put off by Cambridge's compulsory Economic History module, what are your opinions of that?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
I don't mind the prospect of studying some management modules, it all seems relevant and I like the idea of broadening your study at university.

I was slightly put off by Cambridge's Economic History compulsory module, what are your opinions of that?

If you want a good study of Economics then the Cambridge course, I feel is very good. Why? Because it gives you a good grounding and base for Economics. Economic History isn't everybody's cup of tea, I don't mind it at all, but is relevant in learning about the discipline as a whole. Far more relevant than Management. Also, in the second and third year, you have far more flexibility.

If you want to 'broaden you study' of Economics, I wouldn't go near Management. It's more practical and is for the work-place. Both the oxford and cambridge management courses give the impression of not involving any Economics at all (apart from Business Management).

Some people like it, others don't. Its up to the individual :smile:

Original post by thegenius31416
Lots of Universities have a compulsory Economics History module so you'll have to do it. I'm sure it will be interesting looking at how models/theories have changed over time.

Agree. Although most unis offer it as an 'outside module' which you can choose. Can't speak for all unis though :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Groat

I was slightly put off by Cambridge's compulsory Economic History module, what are your opinions of that?

Lots of Universities have a compulsory Economics History module so you'll have to do it. I'm sure it will be interesting looking at how models/theories have changed over time.
Reply 268
If you want a good study of Economics then the Cambridge course, I feel is very good. Why? Because it gives you a good grounding and base for Economics. Economic History isn't everybody's cup of tea, I don't mind it at all, but is relevant in learning about the discipline as a whole. Far more relevant than Management. Also, in the second and third year, you have far more flexibility.

If you want to 'broaden you study' of Economics, I wouldn't go near Management. It's more practical and is for the work-place. Both the oxford and cambridge management courses give the impression of not involving any Economics at all (apart from Business Management).

Some people like it, others don't. Its up to the individual :smile:

It's such a difficult decision! I don't think the more difficult entrance requirements will be a problem.

Just looking at the tripos, the course does look very good. The Economic History doesn't seem too painful either.

I quite like my chances of interview at Oxford as I'm quite a natural at the TSA, but obviously Cambridge doesn't have that. Would you suggest that the majority of people getting 90%+ with a good personal statement are interviewed?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
It's such a difficult decision! I don't think the more difficult entrance requirements will be a problem.

Just looking at the tripos, the course does look very good. The Economic History doesn't seem too painful either.

I quite like my chances of interview at Oxford as I'm quite a natural at the TSA, but obviously Cambridge doesn't have that. Would you suggest that the majority of people getting 90%+ with a good personal are interviewed?

Oxford are going to increase their requirements to A*AA i believe.

But, both courses are extremely hard to get into. Oxford is like 1 in 12/13 and Cambridge is about 1 in 8. Oxford tend to interview less and as result a lot is placed upon GCSEs/ASs and the TSA. The TSA if you're good at it can be advantageous but is risky! Just because you are good at the TSA doesn't mean you will get in! Most people with the required grades get interviewed at Cambridge. I don't think you'll have any problem in getting an interview.

I wouldn't apply for the sake of applying or play the numbers game. Its up to you which uni/course etc you prefer :smile:

EDIT: Some cambridge colleges do use the TSA :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 270
Oxford are going to increase their requirements to A*AA i believe.

But, both courses are extremely hard to get into. Oxford is like 1 in 12/13 and Cambridge is about 1 in 8. Oxford tend to interview less and as result a lot is placed upon GCSEs/ASs and the TSA. The TSA if you're good at it can be advantageous but is risky! Just because you are good at the TSA doesn't mean you will get in! Most people with the required grades get interviewed at Cambridge. I don't think you'll have any problem in getting an interview.

I wouldn't apply for the sake of applying or play the numbers game. Its up to you which uni/course etc you prefer :smile:

EDIT: Some cambridge colleges do use the TSA :biggrin:

Oxford's requirements for 2012 entry will remain at AAA. Do you know if you can use Maths and Further Maths to satisfy your A*AA offer? I know you can at Oxford, but LSE won't allow you, for example.

Thanks for the help, I think I'll have to really consider it. I'd just assumed Oxford was the place for me, and my parents were slightly edging me towards it. For now, I think having university dilemmas is not going to help revision, so I will reconsider later!
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
Oxford's requirements for 2012 entry will remain at AAA. Do you know if you can use Maths and Further Maths to satisfy your A*AA offer? I know you can at Oxford, but LSE won't allow you, for example.

Thanks for the help, I think I'll have to really consider it. I'd just assumed Oxford was the place for me, and my parents were slightly edging me towards it. For now, I think having university dilemmas is not going to help revision, so I will reconsider later!

Ah really that's nice! My Cambridge, Warwick, LSE (M+E) and UCL offers only specified an A* in maths which was kind of them. LSE (econ) asked for A*AAe which is still okay. It depends on how many subjects you take I guess. Many unis take Maths and FM as one subject in a way. Just look at their requirements!

Yep defo think about it. Both fantastic institutions and courses. You won't go wrong with either :smile:
Ah really that's nice! My Cambridge, Warwick, LSE (M+E) and UCL offers only specified an A* in maths which was kind of them. LSE (econ) asked for A*AAe which is still okay. It depends on how many subjects you take I guess. Many unis take Maths and FM as one subject in a way. Just look at their requirements!

Yep defo think about it. Both fantastic institutions and courses. You won't go wrong with either :smile:

Since you're not using it, can you send me your Warwick offer in the post? Thanks. :tongue:

Since you're not using it, can you send me your Warwick offer in the post? Thanks. :tongue:

Haha. I declined it ages ago :tongue: Hopefully somebody's got it :wink:
Reply 274

I guess it depends on the school and their quota/guidelines. In my school about 5 people got predicted A*s in any shape or form, basically because my school is rubbish. In my friends school which is quite good I think, if you got 90%+ you got predicted an A*. So it all depends on your school. How flexible they are is up to your teachers I guess.

In most cases I believe teachers decide themselves without pupil input. I'm sure the attitude of the student is a factor. You must remember though that A2 is harder than AS. You're grades are on target for A*s hopefully and if you do put them in your reference, it will confirm it for universities. Regarding 'contesting unfair predictions' I guess it depends when you apply, the Oxbridge deadline comes pretty quickly, so it depends upon the swiftness of your school/teachers.

Thanks for the help, I know I'll get predicted A* in economics and chemistry but I don't think maths like to predict A* for some reason which will really put me at a disadvantage, hopefully they'll just see my maths UMS in my reference if that is the case
Reply 275
Original post by tateco
Thanks for the help, I know I'll get predicted A* in economics and chemistry but I don't think maths like to predict A* for some reason which will really put me at a disadvantage, hopefully they'll just see my maths UMS in my reference if that is the case

Chat to your teachers and ask what you need to achieve for them to predict you an A*. My school generally predict A* to anyone who achieves 90%+ at AS-Level. If you get high UMS but your predictions are still lower than you think is far, chat to your head of year or reference to see if that can be altered. If you discuss you're wanting to apply to top institutions, I'm sure they'll understand.
Reply 276
Original post by Groat
Chat to your teachers and ask what you need to achieve for them to predict you an A*. My school generally predict A* to anyone who achieves 90%+ at AS-Level. If you get high UMS but your predictions are still lower than you think is far, chat to your head of year or reference to see if that can be altered. If you discuss you're wanting to apply to top institutions, I'm sure they'll understand.

Yeah, so far the only result I've got in maths was 100% and hoping to average high 90's, so it's not like I'm wanting a high prediction undeservedly.
Reply 277

LSE is the only university that mentions you cannot use A2 Further Maths to fulfil the offer, so I assume it's fine elsewhere.

Again, out of curiosity, which college did you apply for/get an offer from? Did you have to submit any essays, etc?

I'm seriously thinking Cambridge now, thank you for enlightening me!
Original post by Groat

Original post by Groat
LSE is the only university that mentions you cannot use A2 Further Maths to fulfil the offer, so I assume it's fine elsewhere.

Again, out of curiosity, which college did you apply for/get an offer from? Did you have to submit any essays, etc?

I'm seriously thinking Cambridge now, thank you for enlightening me!

First bit, I wouldn't assume it is fine mainly because Warwick, LSE and UCL are known not to accept FM as a third subject.

I got an offer from Clare (applied straight there). Just had interviews :smile:

I'm glad you're considering Cambridge, it's an exciting uni with a fabulous course! But remember Oxbridge is not the be all and end all!
Reply 279
First bit, I wouldn't assume it is fine mainly because Warwick, LSE and UCL are known not to accept FM as a third subject.

I got an offer from Clare (applied straight there). Just had interviews :smile:

I'm glad you're considering Cambridge, it's an exciting uni with a fabulous course! But remember Oxbridge is not the be all and end all!

Ah Clare sounds nice, I like the look of St. Johns and Trinity. The squash courts are drawing me in!

I know that Oxbridge isn't everything - I quite like UCL's international programme, but I realise the chances are slim due to the number of places! I need to think about visiting some insurance choices: York, Durham and Birmingham are on my mind at the minute!

Latest

Trending

Trending