The Student Room Group

Who is studying To Kill A Mockingbird?

Anyone started to revise it yet? And is anyone making revision notes?
We made notes on it as we read through it, but what sort of notes are you making?
What did you think of the book also? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

When I was doing my GCSEs we did this book, and one guy in my class just listened to the audiobook version, and never even opened his copy of the book :biggrin:
Yeah I am :smile: Dreading the exam so much. I haven't revised it yet, but I really think I should soon :frown: what about you? And I find the book a bit dull, but I do like the vocabulary...
Nah, I didn't make notes. Everyone folded the important pages over when they took it into the exam. - Didn't revise the book, mainly the poems :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Yeah I am :smile: Dreading the exam so much. I haven't revised it yet, but I really think I should soon :frown: what about you? And I find the book a bit dull, but I do like the vocabulary...

I'm trying, and I've done some on Bitesize, but I just dunno what to write for the notes haha, any ideas?

Original post by reptileface
Nah, I didn't make notes. Everyone folded the important pages over when they took it into the exam. - Didn't revise the book, mainly the poems :biggrin:

We're not even allowed to take the book in to the exam, annoying!
Reply 5
Yeah I'm studying it now, I guess I've just made notes on important points from the chapters and I'm going to start on making notes on the themes and characters. I've heard it's good to have quotes that you can relate to various themes or characters to save flicking through the book in the exam.

I recommend the york notes book on To Kill a Mockingbird it's brilliant and tells you exam tips on little things that will make your essay more original.. I got mine of amazon for about £2 :smile:

good luck with revision
Not studying it by I love the book. :biggrin:
Reply 7
To Kill A Mockingbird is an amazing book <33..
I have started revising actually as theres just about 5 weeks left ~(i think) and yes you shoud make revision notes, brainstorms with pictures so you can rememer the important detail, Buy a revision gude such as the CGP book- It has an excellent overview of the overall book, Then make notes from the book.
Scout, Tom, Atticus and Boo XD
Reply 8
I am!
At the moment, I've made notes on the different themes they often ask questions about (Education, hate, empathy, courage..) and soon I will do the same with characters.

What sort of questions are you hoping for?
Original post by dannyr
Anyone started to revise it yet? And is anyone making revision notes?
We made notes on it as we read through it, but what sort of notes are you making?
What did you think of the book also? :smile:

Have now read it four times and pretty much in love. I'm doing character studies for Jem, Scout, Dill, Atticus and Maudie Atkinson and also making notes on theme, setting, symbolism and the methods HL uses. Gonna read it one more time over the next week or so as well. My teacher gave me practice questions as well so if anyone needs some do message me :smile:
Original post by dannyr
I'm trying, and I've done some on Bitesize, but I just dunno what to write for the notes haha, any ideas?

We're not even allowed to take the book in to the exam, annoying!

Why are you not allowed to take the book to the exam? I'm pretty sure you are, but you have to take out all the post it notes :s
Reply 11
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Why are you not allowed to take the book to the exam? I'm pretty sure you are, but you have to take out all the post it notes :s

I'm sure our teacher told us we can't, but everyone else seems to be able to. I probably have heard her wrong...
Reply 12
We're not allowed to take the book into the exam either. I feel so cheated. :frown:

Either way, I think it's a really great book. I'll probably make notes on characters and themes and then pick out a few quotes. I have the CGP book too which I've found really useful so far. Also, all hail Sparknotes! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Coeru
We're not allowed to take the book into the exam either. I feel so cheated. :frown:

Either way, I think it's a really great book. I'll probably make notes on characters and themes and then pick out a few quotes. I have the CGP book too which I've found really useful so far. Also, all hail Sparknotes! :biggrin:

I was thinking of getting the CGP book, would you recommend it?
Huh? No book in the exam? Never heard of that before...I'd suggest you challenge them on it.

In other news, I find Mockingbird really quite boring, if I'm honest. I think I expected too much from it: we were told that it is the kind of book which will "change your life", so when I eventually finished it I was overwhelmed by a frustrating sense of disappointment.
Reply 15
Original post by dannyr
I was thinking of getting the CGP book, would you recommend it?

Definitely. It includes a discussion of chapters, character information, themes and the historical context. I just think it's a lot easier than having to trawl through the book looking for quotes etc. and as long as you're okay with the exam format then it's got everything you need. :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Coeru
Definitely. It includes a discussion of chapters, character information, themes and the historical context. I just think it's a lot easier than having to trawl through the book looking for quotes etc. and as long as you're okay with the exam format then it's got everything you need. :smile:

Ok thanks, I'll be ordering it! :smile:
I think I've done enough studying to realise strangling is the best way to kill a Mockingbird.
Reply 18
The don't let you take in your own copy of the book. The school gives you a blank copy in tha actual exam. I am absolutely sh**ting myself for this exam. Im just wondering if it is definate that a 'theme based' question will come up, help?
WJEC don't allow you to take the book into the exam, they'll give you the passage in the actual exam paper IIRC. I did it last year, To Kill A Mockingbird and An Inspector Calls. It was really easy :smile: Just make as many points as possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending