The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE EME or BSc Maths and Economics?

I like both the courses, but which of these is more competitive, intellectually demanding etc.? What grades would realistically get me an offer? I'm doing Maths, Econ and Further Maths, would that disadvantage me for eme?

Scroll to see replies

Same stool, different latrine.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
:confused:
Reply 3
It's hard to say really, they're both equally intellectually demanding I think. Decide based on these two factors I think

1) Do you like stats? Do you like to/would you be able to cope with statistical proofs and such?

2) Do you want to do a dissertation in 3rd year? On the one hand, no one doing a maths/economics/stats/finance/etc course does one and it'll be a big pain in Easter when you have 3 more modules to do. On the other hand, you get to do some individual research, which is quite cool.

"What grades would realistically get me an offer? I'm doing Maths, Econ and Further Maths, would that disadvantage me for eme?"

Strong GCSEs (i.e. 6 A*s +) and straight As at AS with a high mark in maths. I don't know why you're asking if Maths + Economics + Further Maths would disadvantage you... disadvantage you as opposed to what? :rolleyes:

EME is probably more competitive.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by gunmetalpanda
I like both the courses, but which of these is more competitive, intellectually demanding etc.? What grades would realistically get me an offer? I'm doing Maths, Econ and Further Maths, would that disadvantage me for eme?

You are only doing 2 A levels? Most unis see maths and FM as 1. I.e. FM is not acceptable as a third A level but as a fourth or fifth.

Did your school not tell you that?

But that would not be a disadvantage for EME other than what I said above, you need another subject (I hesitate to say it's an advantage for EME because those 3 are also the norm for straight econ). EME is more competitive but you can choose the same options in straight econ apart from the dissertation so you cant really say one is more demanding. Realistically it depends on your PS. But since you asked about grades I would say be predicted A*A*A in maths econ FM with high UMS scores. But most important of all start a fourth A level!!!!!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Generally have to agree with what Danny just posted.

Maths and Further maths, in some university, is classed as 1 or sometimes 1.5 A'levels. In this case, it will be beneficial if you could pick up one more A'level possibly one that you believe will boost your application. These could be any of the sciences, History, Geography, Eng Lit, Philosophy (if your college/6th form offers it) or any language. Also, you should be aiming for A*s in at least 2 of those preferably maths/further maths.

In terms of which competitiveness or demanding for each course, It could be any to be honest. You just have to sit down and decide which you really want to opt for. They will both require a highly level of mathematical skills anyway. I would advice Maths and Economics though (not being biased or anything)

:colondollar:
Reply 6
I have 8 O Levels As with all above 90% and 5As at AS(self studied). I'm self studying the A2s as well, and no I wasn't aware of FM+M being treated as a single subject until now. I'm expecting 3A*s, but I've seen people on here predicted 44/45 in IB getting rejected for M&E :frown:. Part of why I'm applying to M&E is cos it says that further maths is highly desirable, whereas in the website it says that EME(econ dept. as opposed to maths) would consider FM as an additional subject.. Thoughts?
Reply 7
Original post by danny111
You are only doing 2 A levels? Most unis see maths and FM as 1. I.e. FM is not acceptable as a third A level but as a fourth or fifth.

But that would not be a disadvantage for EME other than what I said above, you need another subject (I hesitate to say it's an advantage for EME because those 3 are also the norm for straight econ). EME is more competitive but you can choose the same options in straight econ apart from the dissertation so you cant really say one is more demanding. Realistically it depends on your PS. But since you asked about grades I would say be predicted A*A*A in maths econ FM with high UMS scores. But most important of all start a fourth A level!!!!!!!!

Hi, do you think the fact that I am self studying will negate the disadvantage I will be in for not having a fourth A Level? Especially when M&E states that Further Maths is highly desirable? Do you think it's worth doing a Physics AS Level by this november and applying? I will give Maths and Economics A level this June and Further Maths in November.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by *Hakz*
Generally have to agree with what Danny just posted.

Maths and Further maths, in some university, is classed as 1 or sometimes 1.5 A'levels. In this case, it will be beneficial if you could pick up one more A'level possibly one that you believe will boost your application. These could be any of the sciences, History, Geography, Eng Lit, Philosophy (if your college/6th form offers it) or any language. Also, you should be aiming for A*s in at least 2 of those preferably maths/further maths.

In terms of which competitiveness or demanding for each course, It could be any to be honest. You just have to sit down and decide which you really want to opt for. They will both require a highly level of mathematical skills anyway. I would advice Maths and Economics though (not being biased or anything)

:colondollar:

Hi, are you doing the course? Do offers for M&E generally exclude Further Maths? What are the average number of subjects successful applicants take at A Level?
Reply 9
Original post by Swayum
It's hard to say really, they're both equally intellectually demanding I think. Decide based on these two factors I think

1) Do you like stats? Do you like to/would you be able to cope with statistical proofs and such?

2) Do you want to do a dissertation in 3rd year? On the one hand, no one doing a maths/economics/stats/finance/etc course does one and it'll be a big pain in Easter when you have 3 more modules to do. On the other hand, you get to do some individual research, which is quite cool.

"What grades would realistically get me an offer? I'm doing Maths, Econ and Further Maths, would that disadvantage me for eme?"

Strong GCSEs (i.e. 6 A*s +) and straight As at AS with a high mark in maths. I don't know why you're asking if Maths + Economics + Further Maths would disadvantage you... disadvantage you as opposed to what? :rolleyes:

EME is probably more competitive.

Because it seems the average applicants has more than just those subjects. Do you know if Further Maths is generally excluded from offers?
Reply 10
Because it seems the average applicants has more than just those subjects. Do you know if Further Maths is generally excluded from offers?

It's definitely included, but the point that danny111 is making is that you don't have a wide breadth of subjects. Some people think Further Maths is far too similar to Maths (e.g. once you know FP2, C4 is insanely easy, so it's like you're only having to work for FP2 and then C4 comes for free). Most people I know who've done Further Maths have also taken a 4th A-level, but if you're self teaching, they'd probably overlook it as long as you stress it. If you have the option still, then take a 4th A-level.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11

Hi, are you doing the course? Do offers for M&E generally exclude Further Maths? What are the average number of subjects successful applicants take at A Level?

Nope, I don't take the course. I'm only hoping to study pure economics starting September (not at LSE though). I don't think that you need further maths to be able to apply but it will slightly boost your application. A* in maths is needed but further maths is just highly recommended.

All you need is 3A'levels of grades A*AA so doing a fourth A'level won't really make a difference although it could be beneficial, you never know. I'd advice you to pick an additional subject though because Maths, Further Maths and Economics are generally seen as 2/2.5 A'levels because of the issue of maths and further maths being considered as one.
Reply 12

Where has this further maths is not regarded as a whole A level come from?

I understand for subjects like medicine or courses which arn't so maths heavy but when I went to the LSE open day they stressed the importance of being good at maths, more so than taking an economics A level.
They said they preferred students who had taken Further Maths to A2 so surely they can't expect every student who applies to take 4 A levels? Oxbridge don't expect 4 A levels so I doubt LSE will.....

Albiet this isn't for Economics but the only 2 from my school to get offers from Oxford (Maths and Physics) only took Maths, Further Maths, Physics, no 4th A level.

I understand the above isn't for economics or LSE but surely having 1 essay based subject then Maths + Further Maths should be enough?
Reply 13
Original post by Phil1541
Where has this further maths is not regarded as a whole A level come from?

I understand for subjects like medicine or courses which arn't so maths heavy but when I went to the LSE open day they stressed the importance of being good at maths, more so than taking an economics A level.
They said they preferred students who had taken Further Maths to A2 so surely they can't expect every student who applies to take 4 A levels? Oxbridge don't expect 4 A levels so I doubt LSE will.....

Albiet this isn't for Economics but the only 2 from my school to get offers from Oxford (Maths and Physics) only took Maths, Further Maths, Physics, no 4th A level.

I understand the above isn't for economics or LSE but surely having 1 essay based subject then Maths + Further Maths should be enough?

Yes, the offers all unis give out may be AAA or BBB or whatever for 3 subjects, but that is irrelevant. And that is odd, I don't even know anyone who only did 3 A2s.

And Swayum explained the maths part.
Reply 14
Yes, the offers all unis give out may be AAA or BBB or whatever for 3 subjects, but that is irrelevant. And that is odd, I don't even know anyone who only did 3 A2s.

I think I get what you mean, they both did a 4th AS which would of course give them extra subject depth.

For some reason I thought they needed to have done 4 A2's including Further Maths which would be slightly harsh :tongue:

@ OP take a 4th AS then drop it but keep Maths, Further Maths and Economics onto A2
Are people entirely positive about Maths+Further Maths being treated as 1 A-level? This idea is widely regarded as a bit of an old wives' tale on TSR. I can only speak for Engineering courses, which all accept Maths and Further Maths as 2 separate A-levels, so I'd guess from that that EME and M&E which are just as mathematically focused would have a similar attitude :don'tknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16

Is there any point in applying with the three subjects then?
Reply 17
Original post by Phil1541
I think I get what you mean, they both did a 4th AS which would of course give them extra subject depth.

For some reason I thought they needed to have done 4 A2's including Further Maths which would be slightly harsh :tongue:

@ OP take a 4th AS then drop it but keep Maths, Further Maths and Economics onto A2

No I do mean that 3 A2s is not enough if 2 of them are maths and FM.

I even read somewhere that FM is not liked as a third A2 but favoured as a 4th or 5th. The reason being what Swayum posted.
Reply 18
No I do mean that 3 A2s is not enough if 2 of them are maths and FM.

I even read somewhere that FM is not liked as a third A2 but favoured as a 4th or 5th. The reason being what Swayum posted.

Whaaat?

That makes no sence is this just for economics?

Universities cannot say they prefer students who take Further Maths yet then as a result expect them to have to take 4 A levels? Thats just stupid, there are quite a few 6th forms and colleges which limit the amount of subjects your allowed to take to A2 and all the universities talks/open days I've been to seem to go against taking more than 3 A levels to A2. (the whole its better to have AAA than to get AABB)

I agree with innerhollow on this one as Further Maths is already a well respected A level and from what I have read no university expects you to have done 4 A levels to A2 standard.

I know definetly that this is not the case for applying for Maths or Physics but I didn't get this impression at all from the LSE open day :confused:

Did you take 4 subjects to A2 to get into LSE?
Reply 19
Is there any point in applying with the three subjects then?

Sure there is. If you have the grades and can write a good PS that shows your ability and enthusiasm. It's not like it is a definite rejection. Same way those 'weak A level' list does not mean that if you are doing one of those is an automatic rejection.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending