The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rocky Raccoon
I bet you feel really good! I can't wait for that feeling too, except I'll have two exams (which I don't know when I'll have time to prepare for) straight after that.
Anyway, how much time did it effectively take you guys to write it up really?

I've done my literature review, which somehow includes my intro, and its about 2000 words, now trying to add more to make up my first chapter. I wanted to have this done by tonight but only have 200 words so far. then want to work on my second chapter and have most of it done by tuesday (so approx 2000 words) and then that way over easter I can spread time to do my third chapter, and finish the rest when I come back. Its just that I physically can't force myself to write right now even though I know I want half of it out of the way if I want to enjoy easter just a little....
anyway, just some stress, but it helps to know how others have done or a doing, in terms of organisation and time it took.

It took me about 3-4 weeks to write my first draft and then about 2 weeks to write the 2nd draft. When I was doing my first draft I spent about 4 days a week on it and dropped down to about 2 days a week when I got to the 2nd draft. Good luck with your dissertation :smile: I just have to do a Powerpoint presentation for my viva now but I have a million other things to do.

Original post by always.tyred
Hi all, currently doing my dissertation and I am desperate for more people to do my questionnaire. It is only eight multiple choice questions about wireless networks, security and internet use. It doesn't matter how much you know or don't know, if you have a few minutes to help I will be eternally grateful!
The questionnaire can be found HERE!
Many thanks, and if you have questions, ask!

Done :smile:
Reply 281
Original post by always.tyred
Hi all, currently doing my dissertation and I am desperate for more people to do my questionnaire. It is only eight multiple choice questions about wireless networks, security and internet use. It doesn't matter how much you know or don't know, if you have a few minutes to help I will be eternally grateful!
The questionnaire can be found HERE!
Many thanks, and if you have questions, ask!

Done. Good luck.
Original post by hannah_dru
It took me about 3-4 weeks to write my first draft and then about 2 weeks to write the 2nd draft. When I was doing my first draft I spent about 4 days a week on it and dropped down to about 2 days a week when I got to the 2nd draft. Good luck with your dissertation :smile: I just have to do a Powerpoint presentation for my viva now but I have a million other things to do.

Done :smile:

Thanks for the info. Just good to have different insights from other people. Hm I don't know about drafts. I mean I'm going to do it by chapters I guess. Finishing my first chapter today, and sending it to my tutor. then same for others if I have time. but I really need to write faster now.... :frown:
Original post by Rocky Raccoon
Thanks for the info. Just good to have different insights from other people. Hm I don't know about drafts. I mean I'm going to do it by chapters I guess. Finishing my first chapter today, and sending it to my tutor. then same for others if I have time. but I really need to write faster now.... :frown:

If you've got a large word count I'd just write it by chapter and proofread it thoroughly. Good luck :smile:
i don't think i'm ever going to get it done. was meant to see my tutor on friday but he never showed so now i won't be able to see him untill after easter which is 2 weeks before the deadline and i haven't even done a draft yet and have no idea about chapters. i'm really quite scared
Just out of curiosity (however it may be spelt...) how many references do you guys have?
my diss is in on friday (though planning on handing it in today or tomorrow fingers crossed!)
its secondary research, but i seem to have LOADS copied up for 2 chapters and already have 4 page bibliography nearly 50 references... so probably goign to end up with 100 is that too many :s-smilie:?
x
Reply 286
Framing the War on Terror: the propaganda model of the mass media and the alternative discourse of WikiLeaks.
Reply 287
Original post by x-pixie-lottie-x
Just out of curiosity (however it may be spelt...) how many references do you guys have?
my diss is in on friday (though planning on handing it in today or tomorrow fingers crossed!)
its secondary research, but i seem to have LOADS copied up for 2 chapters and already have 4 page bibliography nearly 50 references... so probably goign to end up with 100 is that too many :s-smilie:?
x

I've got nearly 50 references for a 5000 word essay I did the other day. Dissertation will easily be double that.
x

Mine ended up around 130 for my 10,000 word dissertation. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
Mine ended up around 130 for my 10,000 word dissertation. :smile:

Original post by Jez RR
I've got nearly 50 references for a 5000 word essay I did the other day. Dissertation will easily be double that.

phew thats a relief thankyou both :biggrin:
x
Another bibliography question....
does it have to be double line spaced? i know what the books and it confuses me :frown:
or can i bullet point them to make it a bit clearer?
x
Another bibliography question....
does it have to be double line spaced? i know what the books and it confuses me :frown:
or can i bullet point them to make it a bit clearer?
x

I double spaced mine because our guidelines state that whole essays have to be double spaced. I wouldn't use bullet points.
I double spaced mine because our guidelines state that whole essays have to be double spaced. I wouldn't use bullet points.

yeah mines the same, and i wouldnt normally even consider it its just it looks so wrong and confusing cant tell where one finishes and the next begins its very annoying :frown:

spose doesnt really matter if i cant make sense of it once iv handed it in lol
x
yeah mines the same, and i wouldnt normally even consider it its just it looks so wrong and confusing cant tell where one finishes and the next begins its very annoying :frown:

spose doesnt really matter if i cant make sense of it once iv handed it in lol
x

Yeah it does look wierd :s-smilie: It's a bit easier to tell with mine as the second lines are indented and I divided the sources into primary and secondary.
second lines are indented

ah good idea!
that definately helps :biggrin: thankyou!
x
I double spaced mine but I also left a line between each item, so you could clearly see where each start/finish.

I handed mine in around three weeks ago. Just want to know what mark I got now. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is alright.
Original post by affinity89
I double spaced mine but I also left a line between each item, so you could clearly see where each start/finish.

I handed mine in around three weeks ago. Just want to know what mark I got now. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is alright.

ah good luck!
my dissertation has died a little today :frown:
i thought i was nearly done now im completely confused and dont knwo what im supposed to be doing AAHHHHH
i need to had it in tomorrow eek ! :|
I double-spaced my dissertation but the (very long!) bibliography looked ridiculous like that so I changed the biblio to the one that's in between single-line and 1.5. It looked so much better. My dissertation went quite far over the 10-12,000 wordcount- It was 15,235- 90 references, though some had a few sources for the same reference. I think that's about average even for 10,000 word dissertations though obviously it would depend on the subject/topic/discipline involved.

For the person worrying about chapters- they are mainly there to guide YOU and help you structure the dissertation. Don't worry about them! The key to it is your plan. If you are planning on theme-based chapters rather than chronologically, write them seperately and vigorously plan what will be covered in each. If it will be chronological like a history one, then I would just write it as a block. Splitting it up into chapters is fairly easy to do theafter that, though have a rough guide of the time-period to be covered in each one.
Reply 298
Quick question guys - what did you put in your appendices? I'm doing vision psychology so I was thinking - complete graphs for all participants for all conditions, blank copies of my consent form/participant information sheet and my SPSS output tables. Raw data woyuld go a on a disk attached to the final thing.

Is there anything I've forgotten?
Original post by Luser
Quick question guys - what did you put in your appendices? I'm doing vision psychology so I was thinking - complete graphs for all participants for all conditions, blank copies of my consent form/participant information sheet and my SPSS output tables. Raw data woyuld go a on a disk attached to the final thing.

Is there anything I've forgotten?

I had all my supporting material in my appendices (transcriptions). What you've got in your sounds fine to me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending