The Student Room Group

Is it silly to go for another Masters if you already have one?

I already have an MA Public Policy, but have been wanting (almost desperately!) to apply for the MSc Regulation programme at LSE because I have been interested in the area of regulation for quite some time now.

The only problem now is that since I am in the academics, with a full-time teaching career in mind, everyone I know has been advising me against this MSc citing reasons like two Masters don't mean anything in the academics - what you need is a PhD. Although I do eventually plan on acquiring a PhD, but at this point in my life (new job, very young baby) I know that I am completely unprepared for a task like PhD. When I do do it, I want to thoroughly invest myself but right now is not the time. On the other hand, I personally have the satisfaction that this MSc will not only develop my knowledge on the subject in a taught setting (which is what I want!) but will also be an almost natural extension of what I was doing during my MA. It will also be manageable for me - which is probably the biggest advantage.

So, could you please advise - should I apply for this MSc programme or wait a couple of years until I am mentally prepared for a PhD?

Thank you so much for helping me out!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you're passionate about the subject then go for it.
To be honest, in my opinion, it's not worth it wasting time/money on something that isn't going to get you anywhere.

Although if you've been wanting to do it for a long time, then I suppose you could...

Any other alternatives to doing an MSc?
Reply 3
Well I'm going back to do a second master's this October which is essentially the same kind of thing. An extension of my first one and more focused in the area I want to end up in. I too am planning on doing a PHD but perhaps not straight after. My first masters was straight after my undergrad. i started working and eventually ended up doing something I would need more qualifications etc to sustain and develop long term.

If you think it is an investment into your futher and if you desperately want to do it and you can handle the financal side it is not going to hurt. And LSE is a great school and good to have on the auld CV.

So I'd say all those things being equal go for it. I mean you know that you have to get a PHD to do fulltime teaching that isn't news and if you use this to your advantage you steer your research/dissertation in the possible area of your PHD. They may not make you do a probabtionary year on it.
Why not just start the PhD part time until your baby is older?
Reply 5
I don't even know whether I would be accepted to this programme but I think I will go ahead and apply. This is probably the silliest thing you have ever heard but I have decided to apply only to this programme. If I don't get in, I'll wait a few years and go for the PhD.
Thank you so much for your advice and comments. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by sophiasmama
I don't even know whether I would be accepted to this programme but I think I will go ahead and apply. This is probably the silliest thing you have ever heard but I have decided to apply only to this programme. If I don't get in, I'll wait a few years and go for the PhD.
Thank you so much for your advice and comments. :smile:

Not the silliest thing I've ever heard of. I did the same, only applied to one programme because it was really the only one I wanted. and if I'd applied to others and got it I would have done it just because. If its what you want go for it. Write a really good PS and get good references and you should be absolutely fine. Good luck.
Reply 7
Original post by Sweets7
Not the silliest thing I've ever heard of. I did the same, only applied to one programme because it was really the only one I wanted. and if I'd applied to others and got it I would have done it just because. If its what you want go for it. Write a really good PS and get good references and you should be absolutely fine. Good luck.

You totally understand where I'm coming from! So far I've only had people tell me how obnoxious my "plan" sounded. Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
You totally understand where I'm coming from! So far I've only had people tell me how obnoxious my "plan" sounded. Thank you :smile:

Well I think people may think it is gambling your eggs in one basket but why not? Is is a lot of money and you can't do it half heartedly. I'm all in favour of just going for what you want. Either way you are going to do the PHD anyway and a lot of academics have 2 masters anyway. It's not unheard of.
Reply 9
Now I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but in my experience people who keep doing a degree after a degree in reality just can't bear the though of actually going out there and getting a job.

Again, I'm sure it doesn't apply to you though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Seriously, I will have my PhD in a couple of months and I am going for a second PhD. Silly? maybe. But I want to change my educational track.
Original post by TheArabian
Seriously, I will have my PhD in a couple of months and I am going for a second PhD. Silly? maybe. But I want to change my educational track.

How are you funding that?!
Reply 12
Original post by obsession
Now I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but in my experience people who keep doing a degree after a degree in reality just can't bear the though of actually going out there and getting a job.

Again, I'm sure it doesn't apply to you though.

Well in my case I did work for about 3 years and then decided I needed a permanent career focus. Which essentially is going to mix the area I have been working in with the area of my previous study. Took quite sometime to think about it. Major decision.
Surely you'd also be subject to ELQ policy if you went for a second master's? whilst there's nothing wrong with wanting to pursue an MSc you've been interested in, ELQ will hike up the fees massively. A PhD won't. You can also undertake your PhD on a part time basis, leaving you time for your daughter and any other commitments.
Reply 14
Original post by tigermoth99
Surely you'd also be subject to ELQ policy if you went for a second master's? whilst there's nothing wrong with wanting to pursue an MSc you've been interested in, ELQ will hike up the fees massively. A PhD won't. You can also undertake your PhD on a part time basis, leaving you time for your daughter and any other commitments.

Depends on the course. Some don't have it: mine didn't.
Original post by beefmaster
How are you funding that?!

My current PhD course is funded by a UK university. I've got admission in the US now and I will initially fund it but I will definitely look for a TA or RA there.
Reply 16
I will actually have to apply to a scholarship programme in my home country for funding because I'm not a British national. So the stakes are really high for me. I do sincerely hope it works out.
I already have an MA Public Policy, but have been wanting (almost desperately!) to apply for the MSc Regulation programme at LSE because I have been interested in the area of regulation for quite some time now.

The only problem now is that since I am in the academics, with a full-time teaching career in mind, everyone I know has been advising me against this MSc citing reasons like two Masters don't mean anything in the academics - what you need is a PhD. Although I do eventually plan on acquiring a PhD, but at this point in my life (new job, very young baby) I know that I am completely unprepared for a task like PhD. When I do do it, I want to thoroughly invest myself but right now is not the time. On the other hand, I personally have the satisfaction that this MSc will not only develop my knowledge on the subject in a taught setting (which is what I want!) but will also be an almost natural extension of what I was doing during my MA. It will also be manageable for me - which is probably the biggest advantage.

So, could you please advise - should I apply for this MSc programme or wait a couple of years until I am mentally prepared for a PhD?

Thank you so much for helping me out!

As you can see from my signature, I completed 2 MScs and a PhD (awaiting viva).

I decided to do another MSc because I wanted to a) improve my research skills as I was unsatisfied with previous research methods training, b) open up a possibility for PhD study (i was offered my PhD studentship because of my 2nd MSc), c) develop expertise, d) chance to study at UCL and e) I can also apply to jobs that explictly outline postgraduate training at postgradyate level! :smile:

I really enjoyed my second MSc and my time at UCL- best course ever :smile:

Congratulations on the little one :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
Why not take a look at a registering for an MPhil in a related subject. I don't know the specifics of your subject and I know you're probably not ready to submit a proposal, but it is a possible area of compromise which you could benefit from at the same time.
Before charging ahead with a Masters that won't necessarily allow you to progress academically, why not hold back for a year and start doing some research for a doctoral proposal. It's a far cheaper option than studying for a Masters and may fit better around your family commitments as well. If the two are so closely linked, heading into an MPhil without the second MSc wouldn't necessarily be such a difficult thing for you to do.
Reply 19
Original post by *Elizabeth*

Original post by *Elizabeth*
As you can see from my signature, I completed 2 MScs and a PhD (awaiting viva).

I decided to do another MSc because I wanted to a) improve my research skills as I was unsatisfied with previous research methods training, b) open up a possibility for PhD study (i was offered my PhD studentship because of my 2nd MSc), c) develop expertise, d) chance to study at UCL and e) I can also apply to jobs that explictly outline postgraduate training at postgradyate level! :smile:

I really enjoyed my second MSc and my time at UCL- best course ever :smile:

Congratulations on the little one :smile:

Thank you for making me feel more secure with my decision. It all depends on funding sources and an admission now.

Warm wishes to you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending