The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast and Ulster University.

Has anyone been to or go to Queens or Ulster uni? If so, what are thay like?

Reguarding student life, the cities, the people and the uni's themselves.
Reply 1
Nobody then?
Reply 2
My mate's girlfriend's sister is at Queens. Judging by her facebook they work hard and party even harder. Heard it's a fantastic Uni and she seems to love every aspect of it. Sorrt cannae offer more than that.
Reply 3
I'm in my last year in Queen's, its a great atmosphere and very diverse and that part of Belfast is quite lively on student nights :smile:

My friend is in UU in Coleraine, I'm not a fan of it as there's very little to do around that area, Belfast is much better, but since i was born here I'm biased :smile:

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, what course are you intending to study?
Reply 4
I don't go to either uni but most of my friends go to Queen's and a couple go to the various UU campuses.

Queen's is a fairly good uni academically and has pretty cool extra-curricular activities that you mightn't find at other unis - e.g. pretty adventurous dramatic society, lively art scenes, loads of sporting opportunities.

Belfast is a great city to live in and Queen's is situated in one of the prettiest areas of the city. There's a huge party culture amongst students and the nightlife is generally fantastic - we've got some great clubs, loads of great pubs, good live-music and good DJs. People in Belfast are fantastic - I'm literally gutted to be leaving them for uni in England. Some of them can be a bit rough but nearly everyone is always up for banter.

Okay, I'm a weency wee bit biased but I adore Belfast and thoroughly recommend that you should seriously consider it.

UU is also pretty good considering it's a new uni. There's a big party culture in Coleraine but it's a bit incestuous - you probably won't meet anyone from outside the uni at all. Coleraine town itself is quite nice but it won't have the amenities or nightlife of Belfast. However there are totally amazing views and beaches very close to the campus. Magee will be better for nightlife as will Jordanstown.

All in all, live as close to Belfast as you can manage!
Reply 5
Original post by Helevorn
I'm in my last year in Queen's, its a great atmosphere and very diverse and that part of Belfast is quite lively on student nights :smile:

My friend is in UU in Coleraine, I'm not a fan of it as there's very little to do around that area, Belfast is much better, but since i was born here I'm biased :smile:

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, what course are you intending to study?

I want to study history at the moment But psychology isnt out of the question. The feedback seems to be very good so i will probably make this my first choice uni. I do want to know something, is the cost of living there high? I live in newcastle for example and its a bit expesive over here for certain things. Especially nights out.
Reply 6
Original post by Elrobi
I don't go to either uni but most of my friends go to Queen's and a couple go to the various UU campuses.

Queen's is a fairly good uni academically and has pretty cool extra-curricular activities that you mightn't find at other unis - e.g. pretty adventurous dramatic society, lively art scenes, loads of sporting opportunities.

Belfast is a great city to live in and Queen's is situated in one of the prettiest areas of the city. There's a huge party culture amongst students and the nightlife is generally fantastic - we've got some great clubs, loads of great pubs, good live-music and good DJs. People in Belfast are fantastic - I'm literally gutted to be leaving them for uni in England. Some of them can be a bit rough but nearly everyone is always up for banter.

Okay, I'm a weency wee bit biased but I adore Belfast and thoroughly recommend that you should seriously consider it.

UU is also pretty good considering it's a new uni. There's a big party culture in Coleraine but it's a bit incestuous - you probably won't meet anyone from outside the uni at all. Coleraine town itself is quite nice but it won't have the amenities or nightlife of Belfast. However there are totally amazing views and beaches very close to the campus. Magee will be better for nightlife as will Jordanstown.

All in all, live as close to Belfast as you can manage!

Thanks for the feedback. It has been most helpful. :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by pooo
My mate's girlfriend's sister is at Queens. Judging by her facebook they work hard and party even harder. Heard it's a fantastic Uni and she seems to love every aspect of it. Sorrt cannae offer more than that.

Thanks like the sound of partying harder :wink:
Reply 8
Hey,

I graduated from QUB last July, its a good uni. The library is really new (2010) and has great online facilities. Though it gets crowded around exam time. QUB have an amazing Student Guidance Centre with loads of help with with academic problems and careers advice etc It also has a very active Students Union with a Student Advice Centre for housing and finance problems. The trick is to finding out about and using all this stuff during your degree- many students don't.

Everything is very close to each other location wise like classes, gym, SU, library and that's handy on dark winter nights.

Cost of living depends in Belfast but on average I have paid about £180-200 a month for a decent private house (though that's not including any bills). Generally you can get a flat or house near by, like Malone Road or Stranmillis. Elms Village is mad craic if you stay in first year but it can be expensive and has annoying rules about visitors. It get's really quiet at the weekend too. Part-time jobs aren't too difficult to come across (but that might have changed in the last year or so), QUB is only 10mins from city centre so there's usually work in shops, pubs or cafes if you keep an eye open.

The night life is great, in first year I was out every night of the week and there was always some where to go. Loads of happy memories in QUB :smile:

Anyways, I'm starting Ulster next September, anyone know what Magee is like?
Reply 9
Original post by Special J
Hey,

I graduated from QUB last July, its a good uni. The library is really new (2010) and has great online facilities. Though it gets crowded around exam time. QUB have an amazing Student Guidance Centre with loads of help with with academic problems and careers advice etc It also has a very active Students Union with a Student Advice Centre for housing and finance problems. The trick is to finding out about and using all this stuff during your degree- many students don't.

Everything is very close to each other location wise like classes, gym, SU, library and that's handy on dark winter nights.

Cost of living depends in Belfast but on average I have paid about £180-200 a month for a decent private house (though that's not including any bills). Generally you can get a flat or house near by, like Malone Road or Stranmillis. Elms Village is mad craic if you stay in first year but it can be expensive and has annoying rules about visitors. It get's really quiet at the weekend too. Part-time jobs aren't too difficult to come across (but that might have changed in the last year or so), QUB is only 10mins from city centre so there's usually work in shops, pubs or cafes if you keep an eye open.

The night life is great, in first year I was out every night of the week and there was always some where to go. Loads of happy memories in QUB :smile:

Anyways, I'm starting Ulster next September, anyone know what Magee is like?

thanks for your advice. this has been really helpful. what were the visitor rules like?
I've heard good things about studying at Queen's. Belfast is a fun city - loads of gigs and other things - but in my experience going out is pretty expensive.
Reply 11
Original post by Angela_Beth
I've heard good things about studying at Queen's. Belfast is a fun city - loads of gigs and other things - but in my experience going out is pretty expensive.

Reply 12
This might have changed as it was 4 years ago now but when I lived in Elms you weren't allowed to have visitors in after 11pm, they checked your student card going in. This is good for safety, and you can always have a friend staying and not go any where after 11pm but its a hassle if you want to head out.
Reply 13
ah right, bit of a nusinence but certainly not enough to put me off haha.

So is the Elms village basically the equilivant of halls? or does queens have halls of residence. im slightly confused about that.
Reply 14
Elms village is QUB halls, its about 5-10mins from uni itself. QUB also has other accommodation around the uni area like Grant House, Gutherie House, Mount Charles etc but nearly all first years go to Elms. Its basically a village for freshers complete with shop, laundry and bar. The other halls tend to be for returning students, pg or international students. Here's a link:
http://www.stayatqueens.com/

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Special J
Elms village is QUB halls, its about 5-10mins from uni itself. QUB also has other accommodation around the uni area like Grant House, Gutherie House, Mount Charles etc but nearly all first years go to Elms. Its basically a village for freshers complete with shop, laundry and bar. The other halls tend to be for returning students, pg or international students. Here's a link:
http://www.stayatqueens.com/

Good luck! :smile:

Thanks, been looking all over for a site like that which just lets me see what its like and now i have it.

Thanks again.
Hey :biggrin: I've lived in Belfast all my (relatively short) life, and have a lot of friends who go to Queens and stay in Elms, let me tell you they are having a blast!! Elms is literally 5/10 mins up the road from Queens itself and is a 5 minute taxi into the city centre. Nightlife in Belfast is pretty good, but if you're into like underground stuff its **** (closest it gets is Sketchy at Stiff on a Thursday which is amazing) but plenty of chart to be found! If you want detailed nightlife info PM me, there's a different place for every night lol :biggrin: Queens is a lovely lovely uni and regarded very well, a bit better than Uni of Ulster although it does depend on what course you're doing :smile: As with everywhere, some people you will love, some you will hate. I find everyone tends to be fine, obviously there are rough areas, but as I said, it's like that everywhere. Overall though, everyone I've experience are lovely, friendly people!!

Please do PM me for more details! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by peachtree92
Hey :biggrin: I've lived in Belfast all my (relatively short) life, and have a lot of friends who go to Queens and stay in Elms, let me tell you they are having a blast!! Elms is literally 5/10 mins up the road from Queens itself and is a 5 minute taxi into the city centre. Nightlife in Belfast is pretty good, but if you're into like underground stuff its **** (closest it gets is Sketchy at Stiff on a Thursday which is amazing) but plenty of chart to be found! If you want detailed nightlife info PM me, there's a different place for every night lol :biggrin: Queens is a lovely lovely uni and regarded very well, a bit better than Uni of Ulster although it does depend on what course you're doing :smile: As with everywhere, some people you will love, some you will hate. I find everyone tends to be fine, obviously there are rough areas, but as I said, it's like that everywhere. Overall though, everyone I've experience are lovely, friendly people!!

Please do PM me for more details! :smile:

Thanks for the post! very insightful.
Reply 18
Just wondering if there are many students from england at Queens?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending