Reply 700
I've confirmed my choices! They are:

Chemistry HL
Biology HL
English A1 HL

Spanish B SL
Maths SL
Psychology SL

I wasn't quite sure whether taking English Higher was a good idea; I enjoy Spanish, but I wasn't sure if I could balance both Chem and Bio Higher (I heard it's a lot of work, especially Chem and Span Higher). I'm predicted to get As/A*s at GCSE (A* for all the subjects I have chosen for IB except Psychology - never done it before). Should I have taken Spanish Higher instead?

I think I might be a doctor/vet/something of the like, but I want to keep my options open - do my Highers allow me to do that?
Reply 701
Original post by Achilleasrn
(I've posted this on another thread, hope that reposting it is not a violation of rules, if it is please do delete this.)
Hey all,

I'm currently an 11-year Greek student, and next year I'll enroll in the IB programme. I'm pretty sure I want to study PPE, and of course my aim is to get in Oxford, and I'm interested in Balioll college. The subjects I'm planning to take are the following:

Economics HL
History HL

Modern Greek SL
English HL/SL
Experimental Science SL (Either Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Environmental studies)

My main concern is whether I should take Maths HL instead of SL. If I do so, I'll take English SL, and if I take Maths at SL i'll take English at HL. But I'm not sure if I can cope with taking a 6/7 on HL Maths, I'm not too mathematically inclined.

Is Maths SL sufficient enough for getting an offer, as well as managing the Economics branch? Does it tie to A2, or is HL more advised? And also, what experimental science would you guys propose? I'm not specifically interested for any, except Environmental Studies. Will it harm my chances of getting in, as it is considered a 'soft' subject, and PPE is one of the most competitive courses around?

Looking forward to your responses,
Achilleas

For PPE? I'd definitely do Math HL. You must remember that other applicants will be having A's & A* in Further Maths. So yeah. Maths HL it is.
Yeah, I'm kinda sure I'll pick maths HL after all.. What about my experimental science question? Which is the easiest one? Also, is English A2 as a 4th HL advisable? How's the workload, and does it add anything to my CV? I'm pretty good with English for a foreign student so I doubt I'll have any problems, but is it worth it?
Reply 703
um do i need ib bio hl to become a doctor?
Original post by ad astra.
I've confirmed my choices! They are:

Chemistry HL
Biology HL
English A1 HL

Spanish B SL
Maths SL
Psychology SL

I wasn't quite sure whether taking English Higher was a good idea; I enjoy Spanish, but I wasn't sure if I could balance both Chem and Bio Higher (I heard it's a lot of work, especially Chem and Span Higher). I'm predicted to get As/A*s at GCSE (A* for all the subjects I have chosen for IB except Psychology - never done it before). Should I have taken Spanish Higher instead?

I think I might be a doctor/vet/something of the like, but I want to keep my options open - do my Highers allow me to do that?

A higher level B language is in another realm - don't do it. My boyfriend will be lucky to scrape a 4 in HL Spanish despite having lived in Spain. From my experience, Brits just can't handle it.

Also, psychology is meant to be very difficult to get a good grade in, just sayin. But the rest of your subjects look good - if you want to be a doc/vet you basically have to do Bio and Chem HL but the courses compliment each other and a lot of people do it, and it's quite possible. Stick with English HL - the course is totally amazing. Good luck.
Original post by cookiemonster101
A higher level B language is in another realm - don't do it. My boyfriend will be lucky to scrape a 4 in HL Spanish despite having lived in Spain. From my experience, Brits just can't handle it.

Also, psychology is meant to be very difficult to get a good grade in, just sayin. But the rest of your subjects look good - if you want to be a doc/vet you basically have to do Bio and Chem HL but the courses compliment each other and a lot of people do it, and it's quite possible. Stick with English HL - the course is totally amazing. Good luck.

Feel for me, I have to get a 7 in HL French B. :frown: :sigh:
Original post by meganeira

:smile: good luck - it can and has been done, and if languages are your focus then you'd have a better chance than somebody with, for example, two sciences and french.

but it's very tough....not a personal recommendation!
Reply 707

Thanks! :smile: I understand how difficult a higher language B is, because I have a friend who speaks a bit of Chinese at home and is taking higher, and is finding it very difficult.
Do you know why psychology is difficult to get a good grade in, by any chance?

Original post by meganeira

Good luck!
Reply 708
Thanks! :smile: I understand how difficult a higher language B is, because I have a friend who speaks a bit of Chinese at home and is taking higher, and is finding it very difficult.

Umm, I beg to differ. I'm doing French B HL, and it's a total breeze compared to my other subjects. Literally all i've done for my two IB years is sit and do past papers in class... I find the course extremely boring, and it's a rather poor test of your command of the language, but scoring well isn't a problem if you just learn the right exam technique.

I'd recommend it for somebody wanting a good grade, although i believe the syllabus is changing significantly for the may 2013 session (they're taking away part of the oral component or something of the sort and introducing a timed, internally-examinated long essay)
Do you know why psychology is difficult to get a good grade in, by any chance?

Good luck!

Original post by Pigeon93
Umm, I beg to differ. I'm doing French B HL, and it's a total breeze compared to my other subjects. Literally all i've done for my two IB years is sit and do past papers in class... I find the course extremely boring, and it's a rather poor test of your command of the language, but scoring well isn't a problem if you just learn the right exam technique.

I'd recommend it for somebody wanting a good grade, although i believe the syllabus is changing significantly for the may 2013 session (they're taking away part of the oral component or something of the sort and introducing a timed, internally-examinated long essay)

The answer is that the language B exams are getting MORE difficult next year - because the IB want to avoid grade inflation as so many bilingual people are taking their second language at B level (from what I've heard this is mainly in the USA with Hispanic students taken Spanish B as an easy option). They are making the B languages loads more difficult than they already are (which I think is veeeeeeery difficult).

Also, it's a fact that Psychology is just a lot more difficult than people think - if you check out the IB statistical Bulletin you'll see the SL Psychology has an average grade of 4.27, compared with History at 4.49, Economics at 5.04, etc. And it's known among students - people doing psychology often expect a low grade. Not saying you shouldn't do it, go for it, but make sure you don't see it as an easy option :smile:
Reply 710

I guess it depends on the person. What previous experience did you have with French before IB?

The answer is that the language B exams are getting MORE difficult next year - because the IB want to avoid grade inflation as so many bilingual people are taking their second language at B level (from what I've heard this is mainly in the USA with Hispanic students taken Spanish B as an easy option). They are making the B languages loads more difficult than they already are (which I think is veeeeeeery difficult).

Also, it's a fact that Psychology is just a lot more difficult than people think - if you check out the IB statistical Bulletin you'll see the SL Psychology has an average grade of 4.27, compared with History at 4.49, Economics at 5.04, etc. And it's known among students - people doing psychology often expect a low grade. Not saying you shouldn't do it, go for it, but make sure you don't see it as an easy option :smile:

Do you know where to find what the changes are for May 2013 students? I've only found that they are removing A2 from Group 2 (link), and no changes in the curriculum as far as I know.

Don't worry, I know there's more to psychology than people think - I've taken a look at the textbook, and there is a lot of content. Fortunately, a lot of it interests me, so I think I'm alright.
I'll keep in mind that many people don't get a high score, though.
Reply 711
Which ever ones your heart says
(edited 13 years ago)
I guess it depends on the person. What previous experience did you have with French before IB?

Do you know where to find what the changes are for May 2013 students? I've only found that they are removing A2 from Group 2 (link), and no changes in the curriculum as far as I know.

Don't worry, I know there's more to psychology than people think - I've taken a look at the textbook, and there is a lot of content. Fortunately, a lot of it interests me, so I think I'm alright.
I'll keep in mind that many people don't get a high score, though.

One of my teachers was designing the new B course and she was explaining that it is going to be of a standard between the current B and A2 courses - to replace both of them. But to be honest I understand why they are getting rid of A2, almost everyone in A2 at my school could have easily been in A1.
Reply 713
HI guys,
i am starting IB in two months,
i need help with my subject choices please help;
MATH HL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL or Economics HL

Chemistry SL or Economics SL
English Sl
French Sl

please help me choose my higher level
and please give me some tips that would help me in IB
thanks
Reply 714
Original post by cafu
HI guys,
i am starting IB in two months,
i need help with my subject choices please help;
MATH HL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL or Economics HL

Chemistry SL or Economics SL
English Sl
French Sl

please help me choose my higher level
and please give me some tips that would help me in IB
thanks

I think I can help. I do Math, History, French HL, English, Chemistry, Economics SL.

Word of advice: Don't do Math HL unless you truly believe you are on track for a 6 or 7.
Physics HL is supposed to be one of the four hardest IB courses, but i assume you enjoy physics in which case you should be fine. It apparently isn't too much work.

For chemistry or economics and HL - do whichever you enjoy more, or whichever may be more relevant for uni. I've heard that the Econ syllabus is changing, but atm there is very little difference between HL and SL (and i regret not doing HL for this reason). However, an unusually high proportion of candidates get the top grade of 7 worldwide in Econ (something like 12%, compared to 8% Math HL, and 4% History HL) and I wouldn't say it is too difficult (the internal assessment bit is nice and fun too).

But now for Chemistry. I do SL but everybody else in my class does HL, and there is a HUGE difference in terms of content covered. I grin at my classmates whenever we reach the end of the chapter where it says "For HL only" and the complicated bits start. If you're doing Math HL and Physics HL, you'll find Chem SL quite easy, i think. But it may seem logical to include Chem HL given your other HL's, idk?

However, i can't leave you without some History HL propaganda. If I were you, I definitely drop one of Physics or Chem to take History HL (never SL though). It's a fantastic course. A lot of work, but probably the best IB course they offer. And really rewarding too, because by the end of it you feel like you "know your place in history" and why the world is like it is today. (But if natural sciences are your passion, go for those. History will just get in the way.)

Oh and for overall IB tips: work as hard as you can in year 12 and you'll find your final year much more manageable. You have so much other stuff to do beyond covering content in your classes that you'll be thankful for having put a lot of effort into your classes in the first year. And definitely get your Extended Essay out of the way before around november of year 13, no matter what!

Hope some of this helps :smile:

EDIT: Come to think of it, take 4 HL's. Econ HL is not at all much more than Econ SL. This is good for four reasons: 1. If you think one of the HL's is too difficult, you can just drop down to SL. 2. It looks good when you apply. 3. If you get a UK uni offer, they will ask for "7,7,7" or "6,6,5" or whatever at HL level. If you have 4 HL subjects to begin with, you have a greater margin for error. And finally 4. When people ask you what subjects you're taking at HL, you can show off by stating your fourth one, and you'll come across as a beast.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 715

Sorry, that came across as very arrogant, i apologise. Umm i have some French friends so i practice with them. Otherwise i've done french a bit before the IB, so i entered the IB already knowing basic grammar, how to write, etc.

But as an exam, it will very rarely surprise you as you know exactly what to expect. And the stats for French B HL grade distribution shows it not to be among the most difficult courses. I would say it is easier for a non-native speaker than A1 HL is for a native speaker (but, then again, it does depend on the person...)
Reply 716
One of my teachers was designing the new B course and she was explaining that it is going to be of a standard between the current B and A2 courses - to replace both of them. But to be honest I understand why they are getting rid of A2, almost everyone in A2 at my school could have easily been in A1.

Thanks! I'm guessing that the old B HL course will be for the new B SL course, and the old A2 course for the new B HL course?

Sorry, that came across as very arrogant, i apologise. Umm i have some French friends so i practice with them. Otherwise i've done french a bit before the IB, so i entered the IB already knowing basic grammar, how to write, etc.

But as an exam, it will very rarely surprise you as you know exactly what to expect. And the stats for French B HL grade distribution shows it not to be among the most difficult courses. I would say it is easier for a non-native speaker than A1 HL is for a native speaker (but, then again, it does depend on the person...)

No problem, didn't sound arrogaunt to me. You're lucky that you have friends to practise a foreign language! It's too bad all of my friends only know English, then. :P
And thanks again for the advice!
Psychology HL or History HL....? I enjoy both, but I think I would enjoy Psych a bit more. And in my school Psych is easy and we have a great teacher.

On the other hand, Psychology is not regarded as an extremely "academic" subject, and might be considered a "soft" subject for top universities.

I'd like to study International Relations or Law in uni.

Please help :biggrin:
Reply 718
Hey, I have confirmed my IB Subjects. They are:

Modern Greek Literature (A1) HL
Mathematics HL
Physics HL
English Literature (A1) prob HL

History SL
Economics SL

The question is, should I have selected Theatre Arts instead of Economics as a second SL? I am not particularly interested in any of these, but I am pretty sure I will do better in Economics. Still, would the Theatre class show that I am well-rounded or something?

Off-topic: Given that my goal is to go to Oxbridge (Maths and Philosophy), another concern of mine is whether I will actually need to do extra-curricular activities, such as sports, volunteer work, or even academic competitions, or if the aforementioned academic schedule will be sufficient for admission.

I am waiting to hear your responses...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dayseizer
Hey, I have confirmed my IB Subjects. They are:

Modern Greek Literature (A1) HL
Mathematics HL
Physics HL
English Literature (A1) prob HL

History SL
Economics SL

The question is, should I have selected Theatre Arts instead of Economics as a second SL? I am not particularly interested in any of these, but I am pretty sure I will do better in Economics. Still, would the Theatre class show that I am well-rounded or something?

Off-topic: Given that my goal is to go to Oxbridge (Maths and Philosophy), another concern of mine is whether I will actually need to do extra-curricular activities, such as sports, volunteer work, or even academic competitions, or if the aforementioned academic schedule will be sufficient for admission.

I am waiting to hear your responses...

No, taking Theatre Arts won't make you look like an all-rounder or anything like that. Taking Economics SL is fine and is rather easy to score in so IB points wise, that's a good choice.

Oxbridge does not specifically necessitate the need for extra-curricular activities. However, it might be worthwhile for you to take part in Math Olympiads/societies associated with your course. It's always an extra plus point to put on your personal statement and something the tutor would be interested in discussing with you at interview also.

For the record, you would anyhow have to do CAS hours to get your diploma. So essentially, you will be doing a lot of extra-curricular activities whether you like it or not. That's the good part of the IB. Helps you do stuff that can boost your application.

Latest

Trending

Trending