The Student Room Group

What is it with all these people doing A level maths in Year 10?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by snow leopard

I strongly encourage a headstart reading for the core modules over summer, it's something I wish I had done as an AS student now taking C1C2S1 next month, just because you can go at your own pace with new concepts, amongst other things ~

Just C1C2S1? We're going to be taking 8 modules this time next year!
Reply 21
Original post by und
Just C1C2S1? We're going to be taking 8 modules this time next year!

Why on Earth are you taking 8 modules when you only need 12 for A-levels in maths and further maths combined? :confused:
Reply 22
Original post by ElMoro

Original post by ElMoro
Why on Earth are you taking 8 modules when you only need 12 for A-levels in maths and further maths combined? :confused:

Half of the Further Maths students in my Sixth Form usually take Further Maths (Additional) AS, so that's 15 modules in total.
Original post by und
I've done something like 20 GCSE past papers (which take about 25 minutes each ie. not the 1h45m on the front) and my teacher keeps giving me more.

I commend you on having the mental strength not to die of boredom.

OP - it's because the standard of maths education at primary school creates a massive disparity between students, and the GCSE has to cater for the whole year group. Hence lots of people finding it ridiculously easy.
Original post by und
Half of the Further Maths students in my Sixth Form usually take Further Maths (Additional) AS, so that's 15 modules in total.

Those are a lot of modules; it would be a good idea as you said to get a head start over the summer.
Reply 25
Original post by inexistence
I'm going to Oxford this coming year to do Maths and Computer Science. Did my Maths GCSE in Years 10 and 11, as usual. Got an offer of AAA from Oxford with A's in my three A2 subjects, Maths, Further Maths and Physics. (Showing you don't need 4 subjects like the head of maths at my college told me).

My friend did his Maths AS level in Year 11, achieved an A in his overall Maths A level in Year 12. He's in A2 and does Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. He has an offer from Cambridge, which doesn't count his Maths qualification at all. He needs A*AA with A* in Further Maths, A in Chemistry and Physics.

So yeah, for him it was a disadvantage to do it early.

I'm pretty sure your friend requires grades in STEP II & III too.
Original post by mir3a
I'm pretty sure your friend requires grades in STEP II & III too.

Verily! Sorry, forgot about the whole STEP thing. He needs a 1 in both STEP 2 and 3 :smile:
Reply 27
At my high school, those who were in the top set for Maths at GCSE finished GCSE maths in year 10, then started AS Maths in year 11.

It wasn't taught properly, and all, bar one, got Ds or below. You don't have anything to worry about.
Reply 28
Original post by und
I'm currently in Year 11, and I want to do Mathematics at degree level, preferably at one of the better universities like Cambridge, Imperial or Warwick.

It's discouraging, to say the least, to see posts in which people state that they are doing or have in some cases finished A level Maths, before I've even started it :s-smilie:! There are many people who were never given the opportunity to do anything beyond GCSE Maths, and have been bored to death by it, but have had to endure it until the end of Year 11.

It actually makes me feel inadequate for a Maths degree, and it worries me that these people will comprise a considerable part of the competition for Maths at some of the more prestigious Unis.

Is there anyone on TSR, who now attends one of these Universities, and didn't do GCSE Maths in Year 8, before completing Further Maths in Year 11? It might inject a bit of confidence into me...

It isn't going to stop you going to Cambrdige Warwick etc.

I have a friend who's doing A level maths in Y12 and Y13 alongside further. He has an offer from cambridge.
Reply 29
Original post by j.alexanderh

I commend you on having the mental strength not to die of boredom.

OP - it's because the standard of maths education at primary school creates a massive disparity between students, and the GCSE has to cater for the whole year group. Hence lots of people finding it ridiculously easy.

Everyone finds it ridiculously easy in the higher sets at my school, so I don't really understand why they can't let us all do harder maths... Oh well, I'm just going to have a lot of catching up to do before I'm at the same level as most people applying for universities such as Cambridge.
Original post by und
Everyone finds it ridiculously easy in the higher sets at my school, so I don't really understand why they can't let us all do harder maths... Oh well, I'm just going to have a lot of catching up to do before I'm at the same level as most people applying for universities such as Cambridge.

I just saw your post about taking AddFM, and my advice is not to bother (unless it gets you FP3). Apparently universities don't like students learning too many applied modules, especially mechanics, because you have to un-learn it at university when it is redone from a completely different point of view.
You say you are bored of it, but you want to do a Math degree?
Original post by und
Oh well, I'm just going to have a lot of catching up to do before I'm at the same level as most people applying for universities such as Cambridge.

No, you don't. Have you not read the documents that Mr M posted earlier in the thread? It is not in your favour to do this stuff early and in patches as they are more interested in how you deal with a heavier workload of maths alongside A-Levels rather than how well you fair in taking A-Level maths alongside your GCSEs. Arguably, the latter is possibly easier.

Also, I'm an example of someone who ended up taking things early (i.e. STEP and A-Level maths) for whom things didn't work out as planned as far as my first choice university goes due to having one weak module in my A-Level maths. Despite my thinking that it was just a bad day, it could have probably been avoiding if I followed a different path.

Just aim to destroy your A-Level maths; and try to ensure that you get among the strongest scores at your school. You'll be in with a shout for Cambridge of you can do that.
Reply 33
I just saw your post about taking AddFM, and my advice is not to bother (unless it gets you FP3). Apparently universities don't like students learning too many applied modules, especially mechanics, because you have to un-learn it at university when it is redone from a completely different point of view.

I'm not sure about what the modules are, exactly, so that would probably be worth looking at.

Original post by foldingstars45
You say you are bored of it, but you want to do a Math degree?

Being bored of GCSE maths doesn't mean I dislike maths! Far from it, in fact.

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
No, you don't. Have you not read the documents that Mr M posted earlier in the thread? It is not in your favour to do this stuff early and in patches as they are more interested in how you deal with a heavier workload of maths alongside A-Levels rather than how well you fair in taking A-Level maths alongside your GCSEs. Arguably, the latter is possibly easier.

Also, I'm an example of someone who ended up taking things early (i.e. STEP and A-Level maths) for whom things didn't work out as planned as far as my first choice university goes due to having one weak module in my A-Level maths. Despite my thinking that it was just a bad day, it could have probably been avoiding if I followed a different path.

Just aim to destroy your A-Level maths; and try to ensure that you get among the strongest scores at your school. You'll be in with a shout for Cambridge of you can do that.

I think some of the people posting in this thread have misunderstood me slightly, and that's probably my fault. I wouldn't necessarily have liked to have done the exams, but learning the content may have given me useful experience, and nobody ever gave the more able mathematicians in my school that opportunity.
Original post by mrdoovde1
In my high school, those who achieved level 8 in their year 9 SATS, did there As maths early alongside their GCSE maths.

What a pointless thing to do.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93

Could you elaborate on that? Weak in terms of grade (i.e. B), or in terms of score (i.e. low A), or in terms of content (Decision rather than Mechanics)?
Could you elaborate on that? Weak in terms of grade (i.e. B), or in terms of score (i.e. low A), or in terms of content (Decision rather than Mechanics)?

Poor grade. A low A would have probably have been just as bad, to be honest. If you want to discuss anything further, please PM me rather than having us derail the thread. :smile:
Original post by und

I don't think most people do it early. Also, don't worry about that; many of the people that do it early tend to get lower grades but not all of them. If you manage to get excellent A-level results and have done it at the ordinary time, it doesn't put you at a disadvantage.
Reply 38
Original post by Maths_Lover

Original post by Maths_Lover
I don't think most people do it early. Also, don't worry about that; many of the people that do it early tend to get lower grades but not all of them. If you manage to get excellent A-level results and have done it at the ordinary time, it doesn't put you at a disadvantage.

That's quite good. Would you say 100% is a good target to set for 15 modules of maths (8 exams in year 12 plus 7 exams in year 13), or is that pushing it?
im in year 11 and im gonna do the C2 exam in june. hohoho

Quick Reply

Latest