The Student Room Group

Who are more 'common', Northerners or Southerners?

Scroll to see replies

There is no such thing as a 'posh' accent. There is speaking properly, and speaking like a chav...
Original post by noobynoo
Excuses... Excuses...

Leave your family? (Polish immigrants do this all the time and send money home. You can always travel back North on the weekends. Also why not take your family along with you if you? How many people these days work in the same city as their parents. Not many [middle class] people.)

No qualifications? (Get some then. If you're intelligent you can get A-levels in school or night school or college.)

There is no reason why someone intelligent from the North can't get a good job in London.

Of course they can... It's just not possible for some people.
Reply 62
Original post by Ian Holloway
Who do you think are more 'common', northerners or southerners? I think it would have to be northerners by a long stretch (with perhaps the possible exception of Essex in the south). Down south we speak with etiquette - the Queen's english, if you will. Up north, the locals don't seem very classy at all, there are more chavs and the accents sound rather more vulgar.

What are your thoughts?

It depends. You get nice areas up north, and nice areas down south. You also get sh*tholes in both.
Reply 63
This is cool reading about English accents, as I'm going there soon. In America Southerners are definitely considered "common", which I guess the whole world already knows... It's annoying when people mimic a "typical" American by speaking like a Southern hick.
Reply 64
Original post by Barden
There is no such thing as a 'posh' accent. There is speaking properly, and speaking like a chav...

Thankyou! I've been saying this for years.

"No I'm not posh, I just don't speak like a chav" :nothing:
Original post by Barden

Newsreaders speak properly, but they don't sound posh. Some people do have a 'posh' accent, like my mum's telephone voice :smile:

I don't speak 'properly' but I don't speak like a chav, chavs speak like this... '*&%* &9^*7' :angry:
Reply 66
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Of course they can... It's just not possible for some people.

I forgot what we were arguing about. :colondollar: Anyway, I don't even like London (too crowded and polluted) but the South Coast is a nice area. Also I quite like Yorkshire but it rains a lot. But that's as far north as I'd like to go. :colondollar:
Reply 67
[Certains bits of] The South might have the Queen's English, but [certain bits of] the North has the King's English.

For every 'rough' accent up north, there's an equally 'rough' accent down south.

I'm from the north, the North are more common: there are more of us. If you're in the south, the south shall be more common: there are more of you.
So much generalising in this thread.
Original post by noobynoo
I forgot what we were arguing about. :colondollar: Anyway, I don't even like London (too crowded and polluted) but the South Coast is a nice area. Also I quite like Yorkshire but it rains a lot. But that's as far north as I'd like to go. :colondollar:

I'm from Yorkshire, is is beautiful up here :love:
Reply 70
Surely both are equally common given that North and South are generally arbitrary labels given to people on the basis of which half of the country they live in.... :wink:

Oh wait i see now, you're making a stereotypical, pejorative judgement on people you class yourself as superior as, based on a set of criteria tailored to your argument. Basically, you're being downright offensive, and you need to escape from your ivory tower and realise that a) 'common' is a highly subjective quality, for example i could class such a baseless rant as 'common' behaviour, and b) someone's innate worth/pleasantness/character is determined by factors of much greater breadth than geographical location.

In short, you see your front door? The real world's been waiting to meet you for a while.
Reply 71
Southers, there are more of them thus are more common.
People from up north are generally more grounded although it's a generalisation I mean obviously someone from a crappy part of London will be more common than someone from say Cheshire but generally speaking I've noticed people up north are actually a lot friendlier and have a better sense of community than down south.

At my UCL interview they actually asked me if I'm okay with the fact people aren't as friendly down south.
Reply 73
I'm from Yorkshire, is is beautiful up here :love:

yorkshire :coma:
Original post by .Ali.
Thankyou! I've been saying this for years.

"No I'm not posh, I just don't speak like a chav" :nothing:

What would you class as speaking like a chav? (genuine question)

I have a dodgy accent, I tend miss letters out of words or speak common
eg. instead of 'hat' it sounds like 'at'
In 'bottle' i dont pronounce the 't's
instead of 'I want to go to the park' it sounds like 'I wanna go t'park'
if I'm saying 'tape' it sounds like 'taaape'
anything that ends in 'y' sounds like it ends in 'eh' (graveh instead of gravy)
etc

Im really not a chav, but I know i dont exactly speak properly (i also say 'proper' instead of 'properly' dammit) I realise people probably assume I dont have an ounce of intelligence, so I get kind of self concious :/
Reply 75
Original post by MissLightyear
What would you class as speaking like a chav? (genuine question)

I have a dodgy accent, I tend miss letters out of words or speak common
eg. instead of 'hat' it sounds like 'at'
In 'bottle' i dont pronounce the 't's
instead of 'I want to go to the park' it sounds like 'I wanna go t'park'
if I'm saying 'tape' it sounds like 'taaape'
anything that ends in 'y' sounds like it ends in 'eh' (graveh instead of gravy)
etc

Im really not a chav, but I know i dont exactly speak properly (i also say 'proper' instead of 'properly' dammit) I realise people probably assume I dont have an ounce of intelligence, so I get kind of self concious :/

That's not speaking like a chav, more just a thick regional accent. I'd class a chav accent as someone who spoke like "oi yhoo orite baybee, owz yhoo?" And they say "wiv" and "baff". And also mispronounce words.

You shouldn't be self concious about it. I used to be self concious of my accent if I had to speak to people with thicker accents, because I have a stereotypical British accent so I stick out like a sore thumb haha. But now I just go with it, no one really cares that much. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by .Ali.
That's not speaking like a chav, more just a thick regional accent. I'd class a chav accent as someone who spoke like "oi yhoo orite baybee, owz yhoo?" And they say "wiv" and "baff". And also mispronounce words.

What does wiv and baff mean? The chavs here have never heard of those words? But they have heard many many swear words. :s-smilie:
Reply 77
What does wiv and baff mean? The chavs here have never heard of those words? But they have heard many many swear words. :s-smilie:

Wiv = a really chavvy way of saying 'with'.
Baff = A chavvy way of saying 'bath'.

Clearly, they missed out on learning how to say a 'th' sound. :facepalm2:
Original post by .Ali.
Wiv = a really chavvy way of saying 'with'.
Baff = A chavvy way of saying 'bath'.

Clearly, they missed out on learning how to say a 'th' sound. :facepalm2:

:lolwut: But that's just a Yorkshire accent... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Reply 79
Sorry, I'm American - what's a "chav"? I keep seeing it on here. Like a druggy or something?

Quick Reply

Latest