The Student Room Group

Notation in the maths a-level exams? (Edexcel)

Hey all,

I've self-taught myself the a-level maths syllabus (c1-4, d1-2) and I'm sitting the exams as a private candidate this Summer. Since I can't ask a teacher I thought I'd ask you guys:

Is it OK to use the following notation in exams:

Dot in the middle to mean multiplication (instead of using X)

Implication (--->) instead of writing "if... then..."

Any other tips/hints/suggestions that I may have missed by not having a teacher?

Thanks!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dannyking
Hey all,

I've self-taught myself the a-level maths syllabus (c1-4, d1-2) and I'm sitting the exams as a private candidate this Summer. Since I can't ask a teacher I thought I'd ask you guys:

Any other tips/hints/suggestions that I may have missed by not having a teacher?

Thanks!

Yes to the second one. Not sure about the first. If you look at the specification by the relevant awarding body there should be a list of accepted notation. :wink2:
Reply 2
Update: I checked with Edexcel and using dot multiplication notation is fine. They suggest students that do take care not to confuse themselves with decimal points though.
Original post by dannyking
Hey all,

Thanks!

the dot is fine but for implication i would use the implied sign. I always used the implies sign =>

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending