The Student Room Group

Who are more 'common', Northerners or Southerners?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noobynoo
yeah forget French accents. Nothing is more romantic than a geordie:

"Wey aye lass. yor lookin loosh. gannin doon the toon toneet pet? git yor coat [oh I forgot this is Newcastle] yv pulled. aye reet canny man."

....or not.:colondollar:

I live about 5 miles away from Newcastle. Geordie = :love:
Original post by tite23
Sorry, I'm American - what's a "chav"? I keep seeing it on here. Like a druggy or something?

Stands for council house alcoholic violence or something like that (don't blame me I didn't make it up) It's generally used to describe youths who hang about the streets drinking special brew, swearing, wearing trackies and having underage sex (or at least that is the definition where I live)

Basically a 'commoner' I suppose...

Hope that helps... a bit. :biggrin:
Reply 82
Original post by Smelly Ellie
:lolwut: But that's just a Yorkshire accent... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It's not, it's a mispronunciation! :tongue: I know a few people from Yorkshire, and I haven't heard them say it, it's mainly chavs who say it around here. Then again, saying those words alone doesn't immidiately make someone a chav.
Reply 83
Original post by MissLightyear
Actually these guys are from St Helens like me, we are definitely more common ...

:wink:

You're an 'orrible woolyback.
Reply 84
Original post by tite23
Sorry, I'm American - what's a "chav"? I keep seeing it on here. Like a druggy or something?

Council House And Violent.
Original post by .Ali.
It's not, it's a mispronunciation! :tongue: I know a few people from Yorkshire, and I haven't heard them say it, it's mainly chavs who say it around here. Then again, saying those words alone doesn't immidiately make someone a chav.

Everyone in Scarborough says baff. Not wiv though, that's quite bad. But it is the Yorkshire accent to say baff and things like that... If you said barf you would be laughed at. :wink:
Reply 86
Everyone in Scarborough says baff. Not wiv though, that's quite bad. But it is the Yorkshire accent to say baff and things like that... If you said barf you would be laughed at. :wink:

With a ff sound? I mean bath not barth is fine, but I've never heard anyone other than a couple of chavs say it with an f. Ah well different people talk differently I guess. :tongue:
Reply 87
Original post by Arcanine

I always thought it was "Council House associated vermin". :redface:
Reply 88
Original post by Arcanine

And the council house part is like they go to court/jail allot or something?
Original post by .Ali.
With a ff sound? I mean bath not barth is fine, but I've never heard anyone other than a couple of chavs say it with an f. Ah well different people talk differently I guess. :tongue:

OHHHH! Yeah that is pretty despicable. I thought you just meant plain old bath instead of barthhh. Glad we've cleared that up, don't want you thinking I'm a chav :smile:
Reply 90
OHHHH! Yeah that is pretty despicable. I thought you just meant plain old bath instead of barthhh. Glad we've cleared that up, don't want you thinking I'm a chav :smile:

Oh no haha! I mean when people say "ff" instead of a "th". I say bath sort of inbetween the tow...not quite barthh but slightly more eloingated than bath. :tongue:
Reply 91
Original post by DenHen
I always thought it was "Council House associated vermin". :redface:

You thought wrong bitch.
Reply 92
Original post by tite23

Lol, no. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Councilandhousingassociationhomes/Councilhousing/Applying/DG_188701
Reply 93
"Common" (whatever that means) yes, awesome no. I'm in the midlands and generally the most friendly, funny, down to earth people I know are all from the north.

Northerners. Doesn't mean to say we aren't friendly, we're just a bit rougher round the edges.

Southern accents sound ridiculous to us though OP, it's just what you're used to I suppose. :smile:

What with the fact you're northern, and all those smilies in your sig - you reminded me very much of the full monty! :rofl:
Reply 94
Original post by tite23

No, in England, the local councils own houses and they rent them to people, usually on low incomes who can't afford to buy their own place or rent privately. Sometimes they rent them to people who need a house quick, such as a woman running away from an abusive husband, stuff like that.

Unfortunately, some idiots abuse the system that was designed to help people, and use council houses because they can't be bothered to get a job and buy somewhere else. Thus, a lot of council estates have become very rough, ergo, they are now infested with chavs. They do usually end up in front on the magistrates on a lot of occasions though.
Nobody I know in Essex speaks like the people from TOWIE and I've lived here 18 years :P
Except all the kids in my year who think they're from "Landan" because they lived in Hackney when they were three and have somehow retained the accent for 15 years :smile:
Original post by BookWormShanti
"Common" (whatever that means) yes, awesome no. I'm in the midlands and generally the most friendly, funny, down to earth people I know are all from the north.

What with the fact you're northern, and all those smilies in your sig - you reminded me very much of the full monty! :rofl:

Haha how come? The village people aren't very Northern at all :smile:
Reply 97
Neither - Midlands all the way! :holmes:

Not a Brummie accent though...
Reply 98
Haha how come? The village people aren't very Northern at all :smile:

I know :lol: just that the little icons look a lot like the guys who dance in the full monty, and they are all northern.
Original post by BookWormShanti
I know :lol: just that the little icons look a lot like the guys who dance in the full monty, and they are all northern.

Yeah they are pretty Northern :smile: Haha... Ok.... You have a good imagination :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest