The Student Room Group

What is it with all these people doing A level maths in Year 10?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by und
That's quite good. Would you say 100% is a good target to set for 15 modules of maths (8 exams in year 12 plus 7 exams in year 13), or is that pushing it?

Aiming high motivates you to work harder and achieve more, so go for it. :biggrin:

I am also aiming for 100% in as many modules as I possibly can in all my subjects and if I miss 100%, then 95%+ is good. It is probably almost impossible but then I will be less tempted to be lazy and will get better results than if I didn't aim for anything. :smile:
Original post by und
Level 8? I'm pretty sure everyone in our top two maths sets at school got a level 8! And most of the people in the lower sets probably got level 8s too. I hate my school for not letting people excel...

I got level 6 :redface:
Original post by cooldudeman
im in year 11 and im gonna do the C2 exam in june. hohoho

Why try to make the OP feel bad? :curious:
Reply 43
Original post by ilickbatteries

Original post by ilickbatteries
I got level 6 :redface:

Looking at your grades I can hardly believe how much you've improved! UUUU to A*A*A in three years is fantastic. Are you taking Maths as an A level?
Original post by Accalia
At my high school, those who were in the top set for Maths at GCSE finished GCSE maths in year 10, then started AS Maths in year 11.

It wasn't taught properly, and all, bar one, got Ds or below. You don't have anything to worry about.

Woooooow. This is weird, because exactly the same thing happened at my school. :eek:
Reply 45
IM in your same shoes, GCSE is easy, im self teaching alevel/ IB maths at the moment. People who got 8 in SATS do a additonal maths course like c1 where they get 20 ucas points, i Got 8 but there wasnt enough places....
Original post by und
Looking at your grades I can hardly believe how much you've improved! UUUU to A*A*A in three years is fantastic. Are you taking Maths as an A level?

Nah, I've never understood maths, like ever.

I'd love to be able to, really I would but it's always escaped me. I don't know whether I'm just mathematically retarded or whether I've never been taught properly.

Looking at A-Level work I find the subject very intimidating. I'd probably be best off starting from GCSE all over again.
Original post by RunningHam
Woooooow. This is weird, because exactly the same thing happened at my school. :eek:

Not that weird - it is currently happening all over the country.

GCSE mathematics entries for 15 year olds:

2008 32908
2009 60712
2010 83179
2011 not yet known but expected to be over 100000

This is one of the reasons why it is very likely that early entry will be prohibited by the National Curriculum Review which is currently taking place (the consultation period ends tomorrow).
Reply 48

Original post by Mr M

2008 32908
2009 60712
2010 83179

This is one of the reasons why it is very likely that early entry will be prohibited by the National Curriculum Review which is currently taking place (the consultation period ends tomorrow).

Aren't they also going to make it impossible to apply to university with predicted grades? I'm not quite sure how that's going to work...
Original post by und
Aren't they also going to make it impossible to apply to university with predicted grades? I'm not quite sure how that's going to work...

The coalition Government has mentioned that a few times but that is nothing to do with the NC Review. It might happen but it probably won't.
Reply 50
Original post by mrdoovde1
In my high school, those who achieved level 8 in their year 9 SATS, did there As maths early alongside their GCSE maths.

WHAT?! Thats pretty ridiculous in my opinion... i did my Year 9 SATs in Year 8, gained a level 8 in maths, and am now achieving Bs in my GCSEs in Year 11 despite working hard!! :mad: And theres no way i'm doing maths next year either! Your school has quite a weird system!
Reply 51
Original post by Mr M

2008 32908
2009 60712
2010 83179

Now, I am against entering entire year groups or sets in for exams early but in my opinion to stop those capable of taking it from taking it is ridiculous. For example, me and a few others took GCSE maths in year 9 and most of us got an A* and now I have an A* in a level maths. So if they ban it (and I'll most likely have an AS in further maths) what do they want me to do. Wait until year 13 so I can do the A2?

WTH at the neg. Would you like to have worked hard at something only to be told you can't take the exam because you're too young even though you're perfectly capable of getting a good grade in it. :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 52
I did everything normally, and as far as I know everyone I've spoken to has done the same

Universities aren't going to discriminate against you for what your school offers!
Reply 53
GCSE maths just isn't difficult enough for some people to sit at end of five years at secondary school. The maths department at my old school was underwhelming to say the least but students who enjoyed maths, had the ability and studied through year 7-9 were ready to sit their GCSE in the subject early.
Reply 54
Original post by perhaps

Original post by perhaps
GCSE maths just isn't difficult enough for some people to sit at end of five years at secondary school. The maths department at my old school was underwhelming to say the least but students who enjoyed maths, had the ability and studied through year 7-9 were ready to sit their GCSE in the subject early.

I might leave the exam hall after 30 minutes in protest. There's no point sitting there for another 75 minutes, when I could be revising for other subjects...
Original post by ElMoro
Now, I am against entering entire year groups or sets in for exams early but in my opinion to stop those capable of taking it from taking it is ridiculous. For example, me and a few others took GCSE maths in year 9 and most of us got an A* and now I have an A* in a level maths. So if they ban it (and I'll most likely have an AS in further maths) what do they want me to do. Wait until year 13 so I can do the A2?

If it happens, it will only affect those currently in Year 8 and younger.
Original post by und
I might leave the exam hall after 30 minutes in protest. There's no point sitting there for another 75 minutes, when I could be revising for other subjects...

It is not permissible to leave a GCSE examination within the first hour.
Reply 57

Original post by Mr M
It is not permissible to leave a GCSE examination within the first hour.

Really? What about for exams that are less than an hour? I thought it was only in the last 15 minutes that you couldn't leave.

At least - if it is an hour - I'll be able to do the test twice, minimising my chances of making a silly mistake.
Reply 58
Original post by Mr M
If it happens, it will only affect those currently in Year 8 and younger.

I still think it's unfair to stop children from being entered into the exams. What needs to happen is schools to stop pressuring children to take exams earlier but, alas, this is easier said than done.
Original post by ElMoro
I still think it's unfair to stop children from being entered into the exams. What needs to happen is schools to stop pressuring children to take exams earlier but, alas, this is easier said than done.

True. I think that people who really want to take it early and are capable should be able to. There's no point sitting there and getting bored; surely that will make several people dislike Maths?

Quick Reply

Latest