The Student Room Group

Could you be in a relationship with a guy who has...

Scroll to see replies

it isn't that big a deal
Yes. It wouldn't be a factor for me. My boyfriend has quite severe eczema, so his skin is very dry and he has to make sure he uses a prescription moisturiser everyday. No one's perfect, don't let it get you down :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Anonymous
psoriasis. I have suffered from it for a few years now and can control the red patches of skin with creams, etc. However, it is still noticeable and i am really embarassed by it. For example, i hate people looking at my fingernails because they are slightly yellow (although most people don't say anything either because they don't notice or are being polite!).

Also, it is a genetic disease, so I am a bit worried that no one is going to want to have children with someone who is most likely going to pass on this condition (even though it doesn't effect day-to-day life that much and is just a bit unsightly!).

I am probably silly worrying about these things but would like to know opinions from people who don't know me as my friends/family are nice and say not to worry about it as it isn't a big deal! Are they right or would psoriasis bother you?

I know several people who suffer from it, it's more common than you think,

People are too judgemental, so ignore them, but personally for me it makes no difference. It's a manageable disease after all.
Reply 43
i'd be surprised if anyone refused to get with someone based solely on a skin condition
Reply 44
Original post by Georgiahoneybee
Yes. It wouldn't be a factor for me. My boyfriend has quite severe eczema, so his skin is very dry and he has to make sure he uses a prescription moisturiser everyday. No one's perfect, don't let it get you down :smile:

Thanks! All these comments really cheered me up!
I completely agree with everyone who posted that it wouldn't bother them and that it really depends on what the person is like and how much you like/love them. And yeah those who are bothered you shouldn't be wasting your time with anyways :wink:

If anything I think the imperfections make people look more interesting than the ones who hide everything with makeup, I saw this girl at the bus today who seemed to have flawless skin because of the amount of foundation and it looked scary :afraid: So yeah don't worry about it :smile:
As a girl, if somebody had a genetic disease that wasn't life-threatening or anything, and I loved them, I wouldn't mind so much about it being passed on.
I'm not entirely sure what psoriasis is though, but I'm assuming it's a skin condition? If so, plenty of people with eczema/acne have partners, so I assume it wouldn't be a problem for most people - and if a girl had a problem with it, she's evidently not somebody who you'd want to bother with anyway! :smile:

hope this helpsss!
Reply 47
Original post by foldingstars45
As a girl, if somebody had a genetic disease that wasn't life-threatening or anything, and I loved them, I wouldn't mind so much about it being passed on.
I'm not entirely sure what psoriasis is though, but I'm assuming it's a skin condition? If so, plenty of people with eczema/acne have partners, so I assume it wouldn't be a problem for most people - and if a girl had a problem with it, she's evidently not somebody who you'd want to bother with anyway! :smile:

hope this helpsss!

Thanks! It is similar to eczema really. Also, song in your username is awesome!
Original post by df232
Thanks! It is similar to eczema really. Also, song in your username is awesome!

I have eczema, hehe. Its easily hide-able though.. so it doesn't bother me too much, and my ex-boyfriend never complained.
Yeah, Biffy Flyro FTW.
Reply 49
psoriasis. I have suffered from it for a few years now and can control the red patches of skin with creams, etc. However, it is still noticeable and i am really embarassed by it. For example, i hate people looking at my fingernails because they are slightly yellow (although most people don't say anything either because they don't notice or are being polite!).

Also, it is a genetic disease, so I am a bit worried that no one is going to want to have children with someone who is most likely going to pass on this condition (even though it doesn't effect day-to-day life that much and is just a bit unsightly!).

I am probably silly worrying about these things but would like to know opinions from people who don't know me as my friends/family are nice and say not to worry about it as it isn't a big deal! Are they right or would psoriasis bother you?

I got it too on my elbows :/, its not that bad just use a much stronger cream it'll keep it down to a minimum.. Plus why should that even matter
Reply 50
Biffy Clyron for the win indeed
Reply 51
Of course I could.

A medical condition like this is not your fault, nor does it change you as a person in any way. Let it be your filter to help you sift through the shallow and not-worth-your-time people.
Reply 52
nothing left for me to say :biggrin:

just be urself and u'll do great ^^
Reply 53
Original post by meemoo83
nothing left for me to say :biggrin:

just be urself and u'll do great ^^

Cheers. I was expecting a lot more people to say that they wouldn't want to and would rather choose someone with perfect skin. Thanks.
Reply 54
Original post by df232
Cheers. I was expecting a lot more people to say that they wouldn't want to and would rather choose someone with perfect skin. Thanks.

if u think about it
most of us have some skin problems :wink:
but it differs .. some has a very dry skin, some has a very oily skin, some have pimples, acne, red spots, dark spots .. and sooo ooon :biggrin:
that's why there's so many skin products :rolleyes:

<<and u r most welcome ^^
Reply 55

My old drama teacher had it, married to a (fit!) wife, with kids.

Edit: On a self confidence note: i've got acne, have had for years now, and i can get girls no problem. not many, but thats mainly due to me being a tosser :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
seems no one actually has a problem with it then!
Reply 57
yeah, that is nice to know.
Honestly if it was really severe, yeah it might put me off. A guy in my work had it really bad (seriously it was in every place visible) and used to leave dead skin all over the counter. Plus I'm a very touchy feely person and it just wouldn't feel nice :frown:

If that makes me shallow then I'm sorry :frown:
Reply 59
I don't really know what it is but from your description I wouldn't be to bothered

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending