The Student Room Group

Crazy strict parents

Im 18 in a few months yet I have less freedom than most people I know.
My parents are probably more protective than any other parents I know...and I absolutely hate it...
I'm not allowed to go to 18th birthday parties just in case my drink is spiked with drugs...I can see where they're coming from but if I live like that I'll be 40 living at home with 27 cats...Worst nightmare.
So for the past few weeks my relationship with my parents has been pretty on and off..We keep arguing about the same thing over and over...
Im living at home next year...Yes I know worst decision ever...But now I really just want to gain some independence...Any advice?
Oh and thanks for listening to my rant.
Reply 1
Im living at home next year...Yes I know worst decision ever

Why?!
Tell them that you're an adult now and need your space. And maybe think about moving away next year?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
My parents are probably more protective than any other parents I know...and I absolutely hate it...
I'm not allowed to go to 18th birthday parties just in case my drink is spiked with drugs...I can see where they're coming from but if I live like that I'll be 40 living at home with 27 cats...Worst nightmare.
So for the past few weeks my relationship with my parents has been pretty on and off..We keep arguing about the same thing over and over...
Im living at home next year...Yes I know worst decision ever...But now I really just want to gain some independence...Any advice?

If you want to gain independence, have you considered living at uni instead? It seems to me that you would have the same problems as you do now (not letting you go out ect) added with more opportunities to actually go out.

Can you not just explain that you'll look after your drink and never let it go out of sight? Or you'll stick with your friends all night and go home with them?
Reply 4
Original post by tehforum
Why?!

I've been asking myself the same thing..I think a suitable answer would be Im mad.

Original post by *Dreaming*
Tell them that you're an adult now and need your space. And maybe think about moving away next year?

I actually said this a few days ago...but asian parents dont respond well to 'I need my own space'. Thnaks though
Reply 5
I've been asking myself the same thing..I think a suitable answer would be Im mad.

I actually said this a few days ago...but asian parents dont respond well to 'I need my own space'. Thnaks though

And the real reason as to why you're staying at home is...?
Reply 6
Original post by choly7
If you want to gain independence, have you considered living at uni instead? It seems to me that you would have the same problems as you do now (not letting you go out ect) added with more opportunities to actually go out.

Can you not just explain that you'll look after your drink and never let it go out of sight? Or you'll stick with your friends all night and go home with them?

I know living out seems to be the only solution to this...
To be hpnest I dont think any explanation will do it for them...Seems like I' stuck with the strictest parents...great.

And the real reason as to why you're staying at home is...?

My offers are from London unis...my firm is about 40 minutes from my house...So I don't exactly need to live out..except for my sanity...Hmm
Reply 7
I know living out seems to be the only solution to this...
To be hpnest I dont think any explanation will do it for them...Seems like I' stuck with the strictest parents...great.

My offers are from London unis...my firm is about 40 minutes from my house...So I don't exactly need to live out..except for my sanity...Hmm

Move away.

What are the expenses like for living in halls?
What course?
Reply 8
Move away.

What are the expenses like for living in halls?
What course?

Not exactly sure minimum £2000 a year?
And well biomedical sciences...most probably post grad medicine afterwards..IF I get in..
No way can I afford living out if I'll be paying £9000 for four years..
see my problem?
My lifes a big mess...ah well...
£50 says you have yellowy brown skin and/or slitty eyes.
Reply 10

Are you Asian by any chance? :holmes:
Reply 11
Original post by bognor-regis

Brown skin but I think Im anaemic so yes slightly yellow lol..But you lose the £50 hah

Original post by No Man
Are you Asian by any chance? :holmes:

Yeah hah...Aren't asian parents the greatest.
Reply 12

Haha, you lost your money you could've used to clean up the jacuzzi.

:facepalm:
you'll be 18... why don't you just say no and go out anyway .. :s-smilie: i very much doubt your parents will disown you or throw you out
Original post by ohohnicolio
you'll be 18... why don't you just say no and go out anyway .. :s-smilie: i very much doubt your parents will disown you or throw you out

Shhhh Don't say that!! *cough* honour killings *cough*
Haha, you lost your money you could've used to clean up the jacuzzi.

:facepalm:

Post of the day.

At least She doesn't ejaculate in her swimming pool. Then posts a thread asking whether Her sister can get pregnant from swimming in the water.

Quick Reply

Latest