The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wish I had been there. :daydreaming:
Reply 21
Original post by Ferrero Rocher
Wish I had been there. :daydreaming:

It's rubbish, I can't wait to go University; hate my life here.
Original post by Nation

That's an expensive life to be hatin'. This may sound like a silly question, OP, but if you're so unhappy at Eton, why are you still there?
Reply 23
Original post by Nation

It seems to me somewhat implausible that somebody who supposedly hates their school would be so keen to advertise it in their signature.
Original post by Nation

Off to Oxford than? :holmes:
Reply 25
Original post by Kidioteque
That's an expensive life to be hatin'. This may sound like a silly question, OP, but if you're so unhappy at Eton, why are you still there?

Parents, how could I tell them when im in my final year; I'll live with it.

Original post by BJack
It seems to me somewhat implausible that somebody who supposedly hates their school would be so keen to advertise it in their signature.

It gets me some special recognition :smile: Like the guy quoted below.

Original post by Ferrero Rocher
Off to Oxford than? :holmes:

No, I'm leaving higher education.
Original post by Nation
Parents, how could I tell them when im in my final year; I'll live with it.

Fair enough. Are you at Eton right now, or are you back at home over Easter?
Reply 27
Fair enough. Are you at Eton right now, or are you back at home over Easter?

Eton.
Original post by aeterno
Very few people consider it brilliant...and even then it's usually the ones who actually go there

i didn't go to eton, but i do think it's a brilliant school:-
1. beautiful buildings and facilities.
2. a fine academic record.
3. mixing with the sort of folk whose fathers can get you a job. that is great networking.
4. 19 prime ministers came from eton school. a staggering achievement.
the downside, a lot of etonians i've come across seem a bit repressed/uptight. probably on account of strict upbringings, the old upper-middle-class stiff upper lip.
harrow comes in second with 8 prime ministers.
my school, like most schools, scores 0.
Eton's always been a place which fascinates me; it all seems so surreal from what I've read. Seems to have a magnificent mystique about it. Although I guess it might not be all it's cracked up to be, judging from OP's tone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Redreynard
i didn't go to eton, but i do think it's a brilliant school:-
1. beautiful buildings and facilities.
2. a fine academic record.
3. mixing with the sort of folk whose fathers can get you a job. that is great networking.
4. 19 prime ministers came from eton school. a staggering achievement.
the downside, a lot of etonians i've come across seem a bit repressed/uptight. probably on account of strict upbringings, the old upper-middle-class stiff upper lip.

Those are just numbers on a paper mate.

Eton's always been a place which fascinates me; it all seems so surreal from what I've read. Seems to have a magnificent mystique about it. Although I guess it might not be all it's cracked up to be, judging from OP's tone.

Imagine the smartest person in your year, triple him to make one, now times this by 30 people in your class all who want to be the best and argue over every little thing, now times this by 10, now your amongst 300 kids who feel the exact same way as you do.

You know how someone might describe a situation has un-pleasant, imagine that every single day for a year - thats Eton.
Original post by Nation
Those are just numbers on a paper mate.

Imagine the smartest person in your year, triple him to make one, now times this by 30 people in your class all who want to be the best and argue over every little thing, now times this by 10, now your amongst 300 kids who feel the exact same way as you do.

You know how someone might describe a situation has un-pleasant, imagine that every single day for a year - thats Eton.

ah, i'm getting it now. you have explained why so many etonians seem a bit strange/cold. you're saying that the competition is at such a hot house level that it is not a good environment to be in.
Original post by Nation
Just out of interest, seems like members on TSR always spot the Eton students as if were God's gift.

It isn't. It's considered to be full of thick toffs with rich parents.

All that money and privilege and yet it's so often outperformed (results wise) by state schools like Colchester Royal Grammar.
Reply 34
At least university will be a bit cheaper for you guys...
Probably because it gives you a massive head start with everything.
Apart from maybe social skills, but then again, I think that about independent, single sex boarding schools anyway, not just Eton.
Even then, they can gain those sort of things later maybe.
Original post by Nation
Just out of interest, seems like members on TSR always spot the Eton students as if were God's gift.

Eton isn't brilliant and neither is any educational organization.

The individual is brilliant.

I mean for example. The Royal princes went to Eton and came out with C's and D's for A levels.

My friend went to the local community college which is basically a shed falling apart and came out with 4 A*'s.
Reply 37
Original post by Chucklefiend
It isn't. It's considered to be full of thick toffs with rich parents.

All that money and privilege and yet it's so often outperformed (results wise) by state schools like Colchester Royal Grammar.

I guess, although I've never met an 'idiot', although this could be down to the teachers and all.

I never knew 1/3 go to Oxbridge? Yes education quality is brilliant, we have ever resource known to man - according to one of my lectures most other schools have to share equipment CT Scanners, when we were learning about how they work, we were acutally allowed to go see several within the school and they had a few opened up we see how they work i guess. But weren't special, just loads of 'spoon feeding' by teachers if im honest.

Original post by HugoDuchovny
Eton isn't brilliant and neither is any educational organization.

The individual is brilliant.

I mean for example. The Royal princes went to Eton and came out with C's and D's for A levels.

My friend went to the local community college which is basically a shed falling apart and came out with 4 A*'s.

Couldn't agree with you more.
I got rejected for a scholarship to go to sixth form here lol :colondollar:

it still stings...
Reply 39
Original post by hockeyjoe
I got rejected for a scholarship to go to sixth form here lol :colondollar:

it still stings...

Stings of excessive wealth?