The Student Room Group

DSA Allowance: Claiming expense of book bought from Amazon marketplace seller?

As part of my general allowance, I can claim back the costs of 'non-core' text books. Firstly, what exactly does the SLC mean by 'non-core'? Also, if I want to buy a book (brand new) from an Amazon market seller, will I be able to claim expenses for that (I have asked the seller whether they will be giving an invoice, and they said I can request to have one emailed after purchase).
Reply 1
Why don't you call them and ask for an explaination? As far as I understand, non core textbook means books that you would need as a result of your disabilty and that other people on your course won't need. So in my case for example, I am doing a photography coures and a book about the history of photography for example wouldn't be covered from my DSA funding where if I were blind and needed the book in braille format then it'd be covered. By to be honest, I could be talking nonsense as I don't actually get book allowance anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by avecmon
As part of my general allowance, I can claim back the costs of 'non-core' text books. Firstly, what exactly does the SLC mean by 'non-core'? Also, if I want to buy a book (brand new) from an Amazon market seller, will I be able to claim expenses for that (I have asked the seller whether they will be giving an invoice, and they said I can request to have one emailed after purchase).

"Non-Core" is used to mean any non-essential books. Books which students aren't expected to buy. This is still quite ill defined, I know, but every module will probably have a couple of books the module convener recommends all students purchase. If so, it doesn't include these books.

Any other books, including other books on set reading lists, are "non-core". Contact your funding body for further clarification if unsure.

There shouldn't be any problems buying from an Amazon marketplace seller. As an Amazon marketplace seller myself I know some will provide invoices (some will just provide a packing slip without the price stated).

Try and ask for an invoice. Even if you don't get one you should be able to just print off your Amazon order confirmation and use that as evidence. You can do this when you make the order or at a later date (by logging into your Amazon account).

Again, clarify this with your funding body. It's what I always did and haven't had any problems. Same with abebooks and other sites.
(edited 13 years ago)
Never had any trouble submitting Amazon sellers order copies and getting reimbursed for non core books, which are well defined by River85.
"Core" textbooks are books recommended by your lecturers during the lecture or in the module outline.

Just send SFE a copy of the invoice from the seller, this should be enough for a refund.
ooh i have a couple of questions about this too. Are you allowed to send receipts as you buy books throughout the semester (so say several different occasions) or do you have to submit them all at once.

Also do you have to send your reading list off with the receipts to show that they are non core text books?
They ask for end of semesters in my case and they don't want to see reading lists.
Original post by hypocriticaljap
They ask for end of semesters in my case and they don't want to see reading lists.

great do you just use the expenses form on the student finance website ?
yes
Reply 9
Thanks for the replies. I rang them up and they said it shouldn't be a problem as long as I submit a receipt of some sorts.

@veggie4life: What it says on my expenses form is that I must send them the claim form before the start of the next academic year.

Quick Reply

Latest