The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Whistle
Is it right that when you apply you get one choice of accommodation and then if that one isnt available you get to put down three options that are preferable, say village en-suite etc. Have heard different stories so not sure what happens. I plan to apply as soon as it opens but not sure I will get my choice!!

From what I can remember when I applied at like 8am I got tons of rooms to choose from, there was a large list of them and I just needed to select one. I picked the one I wanted, and that was it pretty much! Just apply early in the morning on the day you have been allocated and it should be fine :gah:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 81
is phone reception bad in rigg-rut and bakewell?? cos i read that its bad reception cos of design, and if it is bad, are there certain spots where you do get reception?
Reply 82
Original post by babyinks
is phone reception bad in rigg-rut and bakewell?? cos i read that its bad reception cos of design, and if it is bad, are there certain spots where you do get reception?

Yeah, the reception is, admittedly, pretty bad. But within a day or two, you get used to keeping your phone in your window. I find that O2 has the best reception, but everyone gets it in the windows. Just keep it there, and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Trey-Cii3
I just liked the facebook page! And I am pretty set on choosing Bakewell! I'm sooo excited, lol!
Do you have any pictures?

I don't have any pictures at the moment, because I'm home for Easter, but I'll definitely try to remember to take some and put them up once I get back to Bakewell :smile: I'm glad you're set on choosing it! You'll have an awesome first year if you get a room, I promise.
Reply 84
Original post by Vican
I don't have any pictures at the moment, because I'm home for Easter, but I'll definitely try to remember to take some and put them up once I get back to Bakewell :smile: I'm glad you're set on choosing it! You'll have an awesome first year if you get a room, I promise.

I too like the look of Bakewell but have heard the chances of getting a room there are very slim. :frown:
Original post by Whistle
I too like the look of Bakewell but have heard the chances of getting a room there are very slim. :frown:

If you're pretty quick to apply when the applications system opens you should have a fair chance. It is one of the three most oversubscribed halls though (along with Elvyn and Rigg Rut).
Reply 86
robert bakewell, rigg-rut and elvyn richards all look good, but apparently phone signals are terrible there though.. :L
Original post by SN-RAVER
robert bakewell, rigg-rut and elvyn richards all look good, but apparently phone signals are terrible there though.. :L

From experience I'd say they aren't a massive problem, though you may have to stay near a window if you're making a call. For texting it's fine.
Reply 88
Original post by Vican
Yeah, the reception is, admittedly, pretty bad. But within a day or two, you get used to keeping your phone in your window. I find that O2 has the best reception, but everyone gets it in the windows. Just keep it there, and you'll be fine :smile:

what about like in the kitchen or whatever?
For the record, phone signal issues are just restricted to the newer builds - I had issues in my Rutherford room. So, it shouldn't be a deciding factor because it can happen everywhere.
Reply 90
Original post by babyinks
what about like in the kitchen or whatever?

Again, phones should be kept in the windows, just in case. It's a bit better in the kitchens than in the rooms. I live on the ground floor though, and our kitchen is right by The Hub (where our common room is), so I think we get worse signal in there than others might in their kitchens.

But really, it depends mostly on who you're with - as I said earlier, O2 and I think 3 get the best reception that I know of.
If I applied for Elvyn, I would have approximately £50 a week to live on. In Bakewell/RiggRut/BillMo ensuite, the latter which I'm liking the most, I would have around £70 and BillMo standard I would have around £90 a week.

In general, how much do people live on a week? I know it's a broad question, but for your average first year haha

Thanks x
Original post by Rachel_Leah
If I applied for Elvyn, I would have approximately £50 a week to live on. In Bakewell/RiggRut/BillMo ensuite, the latter which I'm liking the most, I would have around £70 and BillMo standard I would have around £90 a week.

In general, how much do people live on a week? I know it's a broad question, but for your average first year haha

Thanks x

I can live on about £20 a week. Towards the end of the first term, I managed to live the last 3 weeks off £25. It's all about how you shop and if you're fussy about what you eat (I'm not, so I can buy the cheap Sainsbury's Basic stuff and Tesco Value). I often wonder how people spend £50 a week even with a weekly food shop.
Original post by Wednesday Bass
I can live on about £20 a week. Towards the end of the first term, I managed to live the last 3 weeks off £25. It's all about how you shop and if you're fussy about what you eat (I'm not, so I can buy the cheap Sainsbury's Basic stuff and Tesco Value). I often wonder how people spend £50 a week even with a weekly food shop.

I'm not really fussy but I eat generally healthy so I'm not going to be buying ready meals etc :smile: But this means I also don't blow money on KFC + McDonalds every few days lol.

I am going to be visiting my boyfriend in Bath Uni which is £40 return every few weeks though, and I'm probably going to join a gym... Would you say £50 is a very comfortable budget if I'd be going out at least twice a week too?

Thanks for the reply x
Original post by Rachel_Leah
I'm not really fussy but I eat generally healthy so I'm not going to be buying ready meals etc :smile: But this means I also don't blow money on KFC + McDonalds every few days lol.

I am going to be visiting my boyfriend in Bath Uni which is £40 return every few weeks though, and I'm probably going to join a gym... Would you say £50 is a very comfortable budget if I'd be going out at least twice a week too?

Thanks for the reply x

That's good, I didn't realise how cheap it was to eat healthily till I moved to uni.

£50 a week should be plenty if don't spend too much/lose money on a night out. The union's generally quite cheap (Tuesday and Wednesday especially!) for nights out so as long as you don't manage to spend £30 on Stupid Tuesday (£1.95 bottle/pint and shot) you'll be fine.
Reply 95
I'm on the verge of firming Lough. Which halls have the best atmosphere and social life? I'm looking for catered preferably and hoping to study economics...
Reply 96
Original post by Phobia27
... whilst Bill Mo for what I believe is better socially, better location, and same sized rooms and ensuite is £4100. (But like I said, go WHB in Bill Mo, honestly!!)

what does WHB stand for? :s-smilie:
Original post by jrsantosb
what does WHB stand for? :s-smilie:

Wash hand basin. That's their way of saying the room has a sink in it. :smile:
Is this right?

Cheap halls = best social atmosphere, not as nice living conditions.

Expensive = least social, best living conditions (often catered).

Mid halls = a compromise of both.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Is this right?

Cheap halls = best social atmosphere, not as nice living conditions.

Expensive = least social, best living conditions (often catered).

Mid halls = a compromise of both.

Not really. Some (but not all) of the more expensive halls tend to have a quieter atmosphere on account of being off campus or self-catered (or both), but that's quite a big generalisation.

Latest

Trending

Trending