The Student Room Group

What is it with all these people doing A level maths in Year 10?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr M
It is not permissible to leave a GCSE examination within the first hour.

Does that mean you can leave after the hour?
Original post by Maths_Lover
Does that mean you can leave after the hour?

Down to the discretion of your school. The exam regulations say you can but your school might have their own rules.
Original post by Maths_Lover
True. I think that people who really want to take it early and are capable should be able to. There's no point sitting there and getting bored; surely that will make several people dislike Maths?

There is a lot more to mathematics than examinations! This should be viewed as an opportunity to explore, make connections and begin to develop deep understanding. Enrichment instead of acceleration.

http://nrich.maths.org/public/monthindex.php?mm=4
Original post by Mr M
There is a lot more to mathematics than examinations! This should be viewed as an opportunity to explore, make connections and begin to develop deep understanding. Enrichment instead of acceleration.

http://nrich.maths.org/public/monthindex.php?mm=4

Exactly! What I am suggesting is that the able students could take their GCSE Maths early if it is certain that they will get a good grade and provided that it is not against their will. Then they can spend the time exploring other areas of Maths outside the curriculum with two less exams to worry about if they do not do an A-level early. GCSE Maths is not exactly fantastically interesting.
Original post by Mr M
Down to the discretion of your school. The exam regulations say you can but your school might have their own rules.

Ooh. I didn't know that. I just thought that no-one was allowed to leave any exam early ever.
Reply 65
I took an A-Level two years early and got an A but it worked to my disadvantage as it was not counted in any of my offers, I still have to get A*AA in my current A2's

Also dont bother doing critical thinking nobody counts it, its a waste of time
Reply 66
Original post by anoushka1

Original post by anoushka1
I took an A-Level two years early and got an A but it worked to my disadvantage as it was not counted in any of my offers, I still have to get A*AA in my current A2's

Also dont bother doing critical thinking nobody counts it, its a waste of time

I don't really care about universities counting it, as I'm sure I'll get good enough grades in Maths, Further Maths and Physics anyway. I was thinking about doing it more for the fact that it shows you can be analytical. I guess a lot of universities won't care though, as long as you're good at Maths.
I don't think you will be at a huge advantage if you did it early. And most people I know who did do it early did not achieve an A (Have said only an A because you want to go to a top uni). Obviously you can just retake it later on, but what's the point? Just do the A Level when you're at college/sixth form.
Reply 68
See, that's what I thought at first. But then I found out "all these people" are actually some of the loveliest on TSR. Then I stopped caring and thought live and let live.
Reply 69
Now that these kids don't have to waste time preparing for KS3 SATs, they can get more useful stuff in
Reply 70
OP if you was smart, you would leave it until year 12, start AS maths then and if your as good as you say, its an easy A* for you.. then it WILL be counted in your offer, and you will be a better candidate.
Reply 71
Original post by Jampolo

Original post by Jampolo
OP if you was smart, you would leave it until year 12, start AS maths then and if your as good as you say, its an easy A* for you.. then it WILL be counted in your offer, and you will be a better candidate.

I don't think that's quite the issue here. People who have finished the A level maths course (not necessarily done the exams), have more time to do challenging maths that prepares them for interviews and STEP. And yes, I do hope it'll be an easy A*, but getting an A* at A level is hardly decent preparation for Maths at a leading university.
Reply 72
Original post by und
I don't think that's quite the issue here. People who have finished the A level maths course (not necessarily done the exams), have more time to do challenging maths that prepares them for interviews and STEP. And yes, I do hope it'll be an easy A*, but getting an A* at A level is hardly decent preparation for Maths at a leading university.

but it doesnt prepare you for STEP.. Normally you would take STEP in the summer of year 13, that is when you should have just finished C4 and FP2,which are exactly the modules needed depending on what STEP otherwise you'd have to re learn them.
Reply 73
Original post by Jampolo

Original post by Jampolo
but it doesnt prepare you for STEP.. Normally you would take STEP in the summer of year 13, that is when you should have just finished C4 and FP2,which are exactly the modules needed depending on what STEP otherwise you'd have to re learn them.

That's exactly my point. Whereas some people will have an extra year or so to prepare for STEP, the majority, like me, will have only just finished the course when they take it.
Reply 74
Original post by und
That's exactly my point. Whereas some people will have an extra year or so to prepare for STEP, the majority, like me, will have only just finished the course when they take it.

My college has a dedicated STEP teacher, that is used through out year 13, and he teaches us STEP, as we learn the syllabus. If you need an extra year to learn STEP just to cope with it, what does that say?
Reply 75
Original post by Jampolo

Original post by Jampolo
My college has a dedicated STEP teacher, that is used through out year 13, and he teaches us STEP, as we learn the syllabus. If you need an extra year to learn STEP just to cope with it, what does that say?

Well, I haven't started it yet so I have no idea how long it'll take me to learn it! I don't know what my school does in terms of preparing candidates for STEP, but they must be doing something right if they got three people into Maths courses at Cambridge last year, and two have got offers this year... I guess I'll just have to wait and see...
Reply 76
Original post by und
Well, I haven't started it yet so I have no idea how long it'll take me to learn it! I don't know what my school does in terms of preparing candidates for STEP, but they must be doing something right if they got three people into Maths courses at Cambridge last year, and two have got offers this year... I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

All i know if that about 5 students took STEP from my college last year, and well feel free to look at STEP I papers, and even though i've started the A level syallabus, im a year into it, i still find it very hard. I think your worrying about nothing. You seem an able person,im sure you'll overcome STEP whenever you take it
Reply 77
Original post by Jampolo

Original post by Jampolo
All i know if that about 5 students took STEP from my college last year, and well feel free to look at STEP I papers, and even though i've started the A level syallabus, im a year into it, i still find it very hard. I think your worrying about nothing. You seem an able person,im sure you'll overcome STEP whenever you take it

What are the modules you need to know for STEP I? Anyway, I have getting an offer from ICL/Warwick/Cambridge to worry about before I can be sure I'll even be taking STEP :s-smilie:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by und
What are the modules you need to know for STEP I? Anyway, I have getting an offer from ICL/Warwick/Cambridge to worry about before I can be sure I'll even be taking STEP :s-smilie:.

hehe thats what im like. Although i sort of focused myself on getting into those unis, i need the grades...
STEP I is just C1-4.
STEP III is FP1 + FP2 (maybe even FP3 if your exam board offers it)
not sure about II
There are so many people who are good at maths but didn't have the opportunity to do A level Maths early (due to school policies, etc.) and so did A level maths and further maths in year 12 and 13 and did still get into a maths degree at good universities such as Cambridge or Imperial.

Quick Reply

Latest