The Student Room Group

Who are more 'common', Northerners or Southerners?

Scroll to see replies

i opened this thread with a heavy heart!
im from manchester but i live in cardiff with my boyfriend from gloucester.
im astounded at the massive generalisations in this thread, clearly you arent well travelled.
Original post by JayTeeKay
Not a major issue for me with Londoners. Usually I smile at people when there's nothing to say/to prevent an awkward silence or if you accidentally make eye contact with someone.

In Yorkshire though, people go out of their way to say good morning/ smile and make eye contact, it's not just to ease awkwardness, it's to be friendly :smile:
Original post by JayTeeKay
There is a general trend. The further south you go, the less polite/friendly people are, to the point that saying "thanks" (or "ta" if you're me) after buying a tube ticket will get you stared at. Like I said, I'd rather be common than obnoxious and rude.

London and the South East are not representative of "the South" as a whole. I find the South West a very friendly place to be and I always say thanks.
Original post by noobynoo
Given that the some of the main gay capitals of the UK are in Manchester, Blackpool and Newcastle and highly doubt that.

Yeah obv. north is more 'common' since it has all the commoners who worked in the mining/steel/cotton industries and when they shut down you get generations of unemployed people on the dole.

I tend to find that in the south even people with the lowest jobs such as in sandwich shops are more intelligent than those in the north.

Northerners can just say random words with no meaning to them whatsoever: "aye... luv... wey aye... like...aye...like...luv ....like" but southerners tend to say things which make actual sense: "So what's your opinion on the Libyan situation?"

The gay capital of the UK is Brighton mate, and that's according to the Office of National Statistics.

You don't get much further South than Brighton!
Reply 124
Given that the some of the main gay capitals of the UK are in Manchester, Blackpool and Newcastle and highly doubt that.

Yeah obv. north is more 'common' since it has all the commoners who worked in the mining/steel/cotton industries and when they shut down you get generations of unemployed people on the dole.

I tend to find that in the south even people with the lowest jobs such as in sandwich shops are more intelligent than those in the north.

Northerners can just say random words with no meaning to them whatsoever: "aye... luv... wey aye... like...aye...like...luv ....like" but southerners tend to say things which make actual sense: "So what's your opinion on the Libyan situation?"

Brighton. :smile:
Reply 125
Stacay get over 'ere naow playse!

It's uncanny how you've written down how I talk :emo:.

I will get rid of my farmer accent by September!

You don't get much further South than Brighton!

Lands End?

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Biker_Chick
I think that since the 'common' accent is associated with more lower class folk, and the north of britain is traditionally poorer / less economically well off than the south, northerners would be classed as more 'common'.

Traditionally poorer?

The North used to be quite affluent, Christ, the richest people in society used to live in the North, the North was where industry was, mills, shipyards, mines etc.

Londonisation and Southernisation ruined the North.

I think you are completely right though.

The common accent is more associated with the North, though I don't really know what a 'common' accent really is.

The North East has a stereotypically 'Geordie' accent, that's quite distinctive. Yorkshire is quite distinctive, Lancashire is quite distinctive...

I don't know if more people live in the South than the North but the Southern accent could well be more common in terms of number of speakers!

Also, you jumped up little prick:

Industry is what made Britain great.

The greatest empire the world has ever seen was powered by steel from Sheffield, coal from Lancashire and ships from Sunderland.

Britain is where it is today because those common folk in the North worked themselves to the bone to make Britain great.
Original post by Arcanine
You're an 'orrible woolyback.

I know, I should be ashamed :biggrin:

Original post by .Ali.
That's not speaking like a chav, more just a thick regional accent. I'd class a chav accent as someone who spoke like "oi yhoo orite baybee, owz yhoo?" And they say "wiv" and "baff". And also mispronounce words.

You shouldn't be self concious about it. I used to be self concious of my accent if I had to speak to people with thicker accents, because I have a stereotypical British accent so I stick out like a sore thumb haha. But now I just go with it, no one really cares that much. :smile:

Ah right, well at least I dont feel as concious now :smile: The funny thing is none of my family have an accent as broad as mine ... I think im adopted ;')

Agree, but don't forget Brighton
nothing quite so obnoxious as the middle class northern kids who come to a southern uni and act like they're working class heroes for being born north of oxford. sorry, you paid how much to get your a levels, and i'm the "posh" one for speaking with a london accent when i collect my povvo bursary? **** off.

There is no reason why someone intelligent from the North can't get a good job in London.

So true, or any other major city for that matter.
Original post by Ian Holloway
Who do you think are more 'common', northerners or southerners? I think it would have to be northerners by a long stretch (with perhaps the possible exception of Essex in the south). Down south we speak with etiquette - the Queen's english, if you will. Up north, the locals don't seem very classy at all, there are more chavs and the accents sound rather more vulgar.

What are your thoughts?

You've obviously never heard of Harrogate or Ilkley, or East Keswick in Leeds

Original post by Organ
I speak with a posh english voice, so do all my friends. We are from Leeds.

And lol at the essex comment :lol:

It really depends where you choose to go in the North - even then these sterotypes are pretty baseless.

Yeah, I've been called "posh" before but Ill assume that's got something to do with my school more than any thing else
Reply 133
Original post by .Ali.
No, in England, the local councils own houses and they rent them to people, usually on low incomes who can't afford to buy their own place or rent privately. Sometimes they rent them to people who need a house quick, such as a woman running away from an abusive husband, stuff like that.

Unfortunately, some idiots abuse the system that was designed to help people, and use council houses because they can't be bothered to get a job and buy somewhere else. Thus, a lot of council estates have become very rough, ergo, they are now infested with chavs. They do usually end up in front on the magistrates on a lot of occasions though.

Gotcha. Yeah, I can definitely see a system like that getting abused. Like our foodstamps and unemployment benefits.
Original post by tite23
Gotcha. Yeah, I can definitely see a system like that getting abused. Like our foodstamps and unemployment benefits.

I've heard of them said to be the same as "trailer trash" or "white trash" in the USA. Every country has them(pretty much)
Reply 135
Original post by de_monies
I've heard of them said to be the same as "trailer trash" or "white trash" in the USA. Every country has them(pretty much)

Thanks, that helps. And "white trash" is more commonly used
Reply 136
Original post by ilickbatteries
Also, you jumped up little prick:

lolz :biggrin:
Reply 137
Original post by No Future
Agree, but don't forget Brighton

tis true. I do live in Brighton (and it's just as friendly as any northern town). People are more open minded down here. You can have your hair longer than an inch without people thinking you're a homo.

But there's just as many gays everywhere else they tend to hide it more because of the Northern macho-I-can-walk-around-in-mid-winter-without-a-coat attitude. (yawn)

Why are northerners so homophobic anyway? :colondollar: Something to hide? :colone:
tis true. I do live in Brighton (and it's just as friendly as any northern town). People are more open minded down here. You can have your hair longer than an inch without people thinking you're a homo.

But there's just as many gays everywhere else they tend to hide it more because of the Northern macho-I-can-walk-around-in-mid-winter-without-a-coat attitude. (yawn)

Why are northerners so homophobic anyway? :colondollar: Something to hide? :colone:

As a Northerner I can definitely not walk around without a coat :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)

Whoaaaa what? Everyone past the North-South divide is homophobic? :lolwut:

When did this become a Northerner-bashing thread?

Quick Reply

Latest