The Student Room Group

WTF is the difference between dating and being in a relationship?!

What's the difference??

If Bob and Sally have been friends for a while and admit feelings for one another and start going out/start becoming boyfriend and girlfriend, are they dating or in a relationship?

If they're dating, how does it become a relationship? Like after 6 months or something? What is dating? An open relationship? A little fling?
What?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me and you are currently in a relationship. However we are not dating.

I think that explains everything. Everything.
Dating is an action. Being in a relationship is a state of mind.
Reply 3
Dating is really American, but it's when you meet up with the intention of getting to know one another because you fancy each other. You don't really spend that much time together outside of the dates, however. It's only once you start doing that that it's become more of a relationship. It doesn't take that long, usually. Depends on the free time of the people, though.
Reply 4
Dating is when you're seeing each other casuallybut havent made it clear that they're loyal to each other yet. You may or may not be dating other people as well, and when asked if you have a bf/gf you'd say no

Relationship -when you decide that you are officially bf/gf and want to be together - this can happen after any length of time, a week/a month, it depends on the people and when they are ready
These concepts are absurd to me.
Reply 6
Dating is 'seeing'. Basically means open relationship or 'testing the water'. But don't - for god sake - get with someone else whilst dating because, although it may seem like a casual thing, bitches be crazy yo
Reply 7
dating is getting to know each other
Reply 8
So if you are friends before hand, you skip the dating part?
Reply 9
Original post by RP Lover
What's the difference??

If Bob and Sally have been friends for a while and admit feelings for one another and start going out/start becoming boyfriend and girlfriend, are they dating or in a relationship?

If they're dating, how does it become a relationship? Like after 6 months or something? What is dating? An open relationship? A little fling?
What?!

Dating = when you agree to spend some time with a potential partner - having dinner, a drink, going for a film, whatever. You might do this several times and it may or may not lead to sex, but neither of you has actively stated that you're in a relationship. You're unlikely to spend much time just hanging out together. And there isn't necessarily an obligation to stop seeing / sleeping with other people, although if your date found out they would still potentially be pissed (as no one wants to believe they're not the only one you're interested in).

Going out = actually having agreed to enter a relationship. This is usually sexually exclusive. The difference can be hard to judge though because such an agreement might be assumed rather than explicit (it doesn't always involve one person saying 'Will you be my boyfriend' and the other person saying 'yes', obviously). It tends to imply some degree of commitment.

If you're not sure what's going on in your life, ask the other person.
Reply 10
Dating is if Bob and Sally decided to start going out on dates, but haven't been asked out yet. They're just meeting each other.

Relationship is after the 'asked out' stage where both partners are aware they are in a relationship.
Reply 11
I find this interesting because it's possible to "go on dates" even though you're married.
Reply 12
Original post by Fusilero
Me and you are currently in a relationship. However we are not dating.

I think that explains everything. Everything.

It explains that OP and the other user are gays and fancy each other. :smile: Negging me is gay.
(edited 12 years ago)
Dating is going out on dates. To see whether they like each other and good in bed or what ever the f***

Relationship is when two people know each other well, trust well and start a journey together..
Well if Bob and Sally have known each other a while then they might not need to go through the 'dating' - or as I prefer, getting to know each other - stage. But often when you've just met someone and you like each other, you want to spend some time getting to know each other, you wouldn't jump straight into a relationship surely?
Reply 15
"Dating" is a tacky American concept which is vague at best.
Reply 16
Original post by RP Lover
So if you are friends before hand, you skip the dating part?

Some people might just jump straight in to being bf and gf. Others might go on a couple of casual dates to see how being a couple feels before they become official.

Its different for every couple, there arent any rules about when you date and how long for etc, its whatever works for you
Dating: Can have sex with other people

Relationship: Can't have sex with other people.
Reply 18
dating comes before a relationship. it's not official
Reply 19
You're not in a relationship until it's Facebook official, innit :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest