The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 07734
One girl was complaining that she would be stuck with people who had never studied Japanese before and that she should be put in a special class with other A-Level Students. I hope I don't get stuck in a class of people who just moan and whine because the work is easy for them at first :frown:.

You'll find these are the people who will fall first, amongst those who find that it's not for them, party too much, or that they find that Japan isn't what they thought it'd be (yup you do get one or two people who think that it's all anime, manga gaming, ramen and kawaii and nothing else) I'm sure there's no one here who's actually hoping that a computerised holographic image of Kakashi or Haruhi Suzumiya will be teaching you, but yeah....you get introduced to the REAL Japan very quickly.

I recommend taking Japanese Politics in your first semester, Hugo Dobson is a GOD. and that's no exaggeration. He, along with the Japanese Government, make a seemingly boring module, extremely interesting.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Kendo_Artist
I recommend taking Japanese Politics in your first semester, Hugo Dobson is a GOD. and that's no exaggeration. He, along with the Japanese Government, make a seemingly boring module, extremely interesting.

Do you recommend Japanese history too by any chance? HAHA
Japanese History may aswell be taught by a Japanese Talking Toilet dubbed in Hungarian.....would still make more sense than Watanabe!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 63
Japanese History may aswell be taught by a Japanese Talking Toilet dubbed in Hungarian.....would still make more sense than Watanabe!!!

Any other modules to avoid? :s
Reply 64
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
Do you recommend Japanese history too by any chance? HAHA

How many contact hours a week do you get for language? :smile:
Original post by GuineaPrig
How many contact hours a week do you get for language? :smile:

8 hours a week for language, it's 80 credits for the first year
Original post by avila
Any other modules to avoid? :s

I'm happy with my other module (Environment and Society) nice and easy.

You may want to ask people about Japanese Literature, some people have mixed views on it. But I can't say anything as I didn't pick it
Reply 67
8 hours a week for language, it's 80 credits for the first year

Excellent, thank you. :awesome:

Roll on September:tongue:
Reply 68

Awesome, thanks!

What are the lecturers like? Best and worse :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 07734
Awesome, thanks!

What are the lecturers like? Best and worse :smile:

From the ones I've had, this would be my personal rankings.

1.Nagai Sensei - Nagai sensei has been touted as the best Japanese teacher in the country (though that's obv not official). She teaches this course using not textbooks but material that she's written herself. So basically she has hand written the entire language course of the degree herself. She is excellent at explaining grammar points, however, you may find that you'll still need to use a grammar dictionary for one or two points. (A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar - Seiichi Makino and Michio Tsutsui is a great one to get) She will get you laughing, one word of caution, make sure you stay on her good side :P

2. Whately sensei ( aka Chizu sensei aka Genki sensei ) - Savour this woman while you can, you'll only have her in the first year and you WILL love her (unless you're already an expert at Japanese, her speaking lessons tend to cater for those who can't quite speak it fluently :P) She is a right laugh and is great at making you feel good about yourself.

3. Hugo Dobson - The man is awesome, records all of his lectures so you can re-listen to them online, he'll tell you some hilarious stories about Japanese Politics, if you don't take this module you're definitely missing out.

4.Kittaka Sensei - Another one you'll only have for the first year, she'll be the one giving you the kanji tests every week and marking them. And she's very strict with Kanji, one minor error on a stroke will lose you the mark. Luckily...from the start of our first year, weekly Kanji tests don't go towards your overall year grade, though you'll get end of term and mid semester tests that will count. I would call her neutral apart from that, not as loveable as Nagai or Whately, but nowhere near as much of a demon as the next person i'm about to mention.

5. Takahashi Sensei - or 'Colonel Takahashi' as I like to call her, does 2 lessons with you a week, if your Japanese listening and speaking are good, you may actually enjoy her lessons, otherwise, be prepared for an hour of hell on Thursdays. Her monday classes aren't as bad, it's Thursdays that are the killer. Some of her lessons have actually been fun, like one week she had us playing Chinese whispers in Japanese, but otherwise..... and yes this one you do get in the 2nd year as well, though if I'm right she buggers off for your 4th year, couldn't say.

6. Watanabe - What to say about this guy other than, very happy, very useless, and quite psychotic (he talks about the old days of seppuku, kamikaze, and men beating their wives....then proceeds to laugh).....

Other notable names are Angela Coutts and Nic Tranter. Tranters apparantly held in as high regard as Dobson, but I didn't pick his module so I don't know (Does language and writing systems in the 2nd semester of first year). Coutts I've heard mixed things about, can't really say for myself though (Does Japanese Literature, 2nd semester 1st year)

Hope this helps (just my personal opinions btw lol).

Hope this helps
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 70
From the ones I've had, this would be my personal rankings.

Hope this helps (just my personal opinions btw lol).

Hope this helps

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you! :biggrin:

I've heard of Watanabe before from a student on here. Said he really racist and scary :frown:

How come you've called some "sensei" but not others? Are we supposed to refer to them as "teacher" or don't they mind us using their first names? Reminds me of being in high school and having to call everyone, "Mr Smith" and, "Miss Jones". XD
Reply 71
(yup you do get one or two people who think that it's all anime, manga gaming, ramen and kawaii and nothing else) I'm sure there's no one here who's actually hoping that a computerised holographic image of Kakashi or Haruhi Suzumiya will be teaching you, but yeah....you get introduced to the REAL Japan very quickly.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Although, do you really get people like that? I'll admit, I'm carrying a massive slight animoo fan complex, but I can't see how you can focus on a single aspect so much without at least having your interest in Japan's other aspects broaden a little. :s-smilie:

When I saw Hugo Dobson in the open day, I was a little surprised at how young he looked. For some reason, I was expecting someone with a lot whiter hair (and less of it :teehee:) I really warmed to him though.

And is taking Japanese History not recommended? I was looking forward to that, but I realise I don't even know which period the module focuses on. If it's post Meiji or later, I'll probably pass . I'm getting weary of early/modern history.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by 07734
How come you've called some "sensei" but not others? Are we supposed to refer to them as "teacher" or don't they mind us using their first names? Reminds me of being in high school and having to call everyone, "Mr Smith" and, "Miss Jones". XD

With the Japanese language teachers you have to use their surname + sensei, since in Japan, that is how teachers are addressed. You also have to use polite Japanese when speaking to them, other lecturers i.e. hugo you can call by their first name.

Original post by Susant
And is taking Japanese History not recommended? I was looking forward to that, but I realise I don't even know which period the module focuses on. If it's post Meiji or later, I'll probably pass . I'm getting weary of early/modern history.

Japanese hsitory is poorly organised, its only a 10 cred module, yet u cover pre-history all the way up to the US occupation after world war 2, so it covers all eras. The plus side is the 1500 word essay is worth 50%. Do well in the essay and you should be ok. If you are really into Japanese history then go for it. However personally I'm more interested in modern Japan. So i enjoyed politics more.
Reply 73
I'm a first year Japanese Studies student too.

A lot of people like to exaggerate about the difficulty of the course in order to scare you/big themselves up (I'm not referring to the guys above, just generally). You get 8 hours of language time a week, 4 hours (or so) of extra modules (history, politics, literature etc - 1 lecture, 1 seminar per subject). You get 1 500-character essay and 1 grammar homework a week as well as 20 kanji to learn. I think I probably spend about 3 hours on the essay, 1 hour on the grammar homework and about 2 hours on the kanji.

That's about 18 hours in total. Minus sleep time, you have just shy of 100 free hours a week in which to practice your Japanese. I know you won't be studying Japanese every waking moment, but I just want to put it into perspective that you have **** tonnes of time in which to learn the 3 hours of new grammar you'll do a week, and to practise listening, vocab, kanji etc.

Don't think I'm saying it's easy, I'm not at all. It is challenging. I'm just giving you the other side of the coin, because in freshers week, I was told by several 2nd years "Oh it's really difficult, you're going to have a really hard time, it's extremely intense. Teacher XYZ is terrifying and hates everyone and wants you to fail. Loads of people drop out etc." and doubtless you will be told the same and it isn't true at all.

You get out what you put in. If you do the work you are set - you learn the grammar, new vocab + kanji, you do the homework, you practise your listening, and you go to all your classes then you will be fine, and you'll have a great time learning this really interesting and challenging language. If you don't want to bother doing the work, then yes, you won't do well and you will find it very hard. But in that case I would question why exactly you want to come to this university and do this course - if you want a joke course then go somewhere else, I hear that people at Oxford Brookes are still learning katakana in their 2nd semester.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, this being TSR and all, but working hard is the key factor in doing well. I know people who hadn't looked at Japanese (or any other language) until a week before they came who are getting 1sts, and I know people who did Japanese for a while before who are currently getting 2:2s/3rds.

If you want to do extra stuff in the summer before you come, I recommend going through and learning the kanji in Basic Kanji Book 1 and 2 - that's all the kanji you'll need to learn for first year, so the more of it you learn the better equipped you will be.

I'd taken the GCSE and did a year of study after that (but only an hour a week) before I came to Sheffield by the way, and I was definitely learning some new grammar by half-way through the first semester. And even going over stuff I did know in the early weeks I felt like I knew it 100x better having been through it in class. What I'm trying to say is that, if you've done GCSE or A-Level before don't be complacent and think you have nothing to learn, because you do. The course doesn't follow the GCSE/A-Level syllabus, so don't assume you'll know it all, I guarantee there'll be different nuances you'll be taught that you haven't yet learnt, and the grammar explanations you'll be given will exceed those found in a book. Having done it before is a useful boost that'll make the first few weeks easier, it's not a replacement for classes.

Oh and by the way, there is nothing wrong with liking anime/manga etc. The more Japanese media you read/watch outside of class the better. Watching anime and reading manga (in Japanese of course) is a lot better than doing nothing whatsoever - and will keep up your motivation to study as well as helping you with all sorts of things like kanji, listening etc.

So yeah, if you're applying/have a place to do it next year, good luck! Work hard and you'll really enjoy it. Feel free to ask me any questions :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Hello~ (This is my first post ever! I've just previewed it for the 4th time... That is kind of depressing :tongue:)

Just made Sheffield my firm choice for Japanese Studies yesterday because I haven't been able to decided since February. BUT I AM 100% SURE THAT IS WHERE I WANT TO GO NOW! Sooooo... really the first sentence was pointless. Now I just have to pray I'll get good results, which I doubt I will. T_T

Awwwwwww... I was looking forward to History. But still, if a talking toilet dubbed in Hungarian I think the room would be packed out. :biggrin:
Original post by The Pickled Llama

Awwwwwww... I was looking forward to History. But still, if a talking toilet dubbed in Hungarian I think the room would be packed out. :biggrin:

First of all, good luck on getting in! Hope to see you in September!

Just watch out for who's taking the module, it may be a different tutor as I think a lot of people complained about Watanabe this year. But if it is him again, just be prepared to self study your way through the module. But I sincerely hope you do get another lecturer for the module as it is really interesting to learn about.

and also just in response to Tommles, in case my earlier comment has been taken the wrong way, I wasn't insulting anime or manga, as I'm a fan of both, and have been a gamer all my life :smile: I was just referring to people who only think of Japan as that and nothing else :smile: No harm intended sorry!
Reply 76
I wasn't insulting anime or manga, as I'm a fan of both, and have been a gamer all my life :smile: I was just referring to people who only think of Japan as that and nothing else :smile: No harm intended sorry!

Yeah, I think we all know that you didn't mean any harm by this. I've met some SERIOUSLY stupid people who've taken courses like this because they love gaming then quit because it, "wasn't what they expected". Usually because it turned out to be too hard or the history was boring to them or even worse, they only did it to meet cute Asian girls/guys :P

I <3_<3 gaming but I also love the culture and history :biggrin:
Original post by 07734
they only did it to meet cute Asian girls/guys :P

I believe this is a fair reason... as long as its not exclusive :colone:
I have to say Dane I immediately thought of you and loled at the cute asian comment,
Reply 79

and also just in response to Tommles, in case my earlier comment has been taken the wrong way, I wasn't insulting anime or manga, as I'm a fan of both, and have been a gamer all my life :smile: I was just referring to people who only think of Japan as that and nothing else :smile: No harm intended sorry!

Don't worry, I was just saying. It wasn't meant to sound stroppy, honest :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending