The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegodofgod
lol - I'm not religious :redface:

My point was more to do with the fact that the exam is unpredictable :smile: And that no amount of practice is guaranteed to make you any better.
woops - was thinking of Decision Analysis :mmm:

Have you decided when you're going to sit the UKCAT and/or BMAT?

UKCAT will be sometime early/mid August I reckon, so I've got plenty of time to prepare but still have enough of the summer to relax, write personal statement and do work experience. Won't be doing the BMAT, as I don't intend to implying to the BMAT universities.
Reply 1362
yup :smile: Apparently the QR questions are a lot easier in the real exam compared to the ones in the 600 practice questions book. :eek:

Still not easy when put under all that pressure. The time you have to answer them is ridiculously short. I guessed like them all and ended up with 600.

You really need to put in the effort for this as it makes or breaks your application. I'm certainly going to be spending a bit more than a couple of days looking over the book this year. I NEED to get a good score otherwise my gap year will be pointless.
Reply 1363
Original post by ryan118244
I've heard that Birmingham might be increasing their GCSE cut off to 9A*s??!! Not entirely sure whether this is fact or not.

Again, in the prospectus it says 7 A*'s. That's the 2012 prospectus so they can't change it now. They might only interview with 9 A*'s but they wouldn't annouce that so this is all TSR rumours. :blah:
Original post by Braddd
Still not easy when put under all that pressure. The time you have to answer them is ridiculously short. I guessed like them all and ended up with 600.

You really need to put in the effort for this as it makes or breaks your application. I'm certainly going to be spending a bit more than a couple of days looking over the book this year. I NEED to get a good score otherwise my gap year will be pointless.

Ouch :sad:

Have you got any plans for your gap year?
Reply 1365
Here is some advice from someone who did the UKCAT, that i sorta wish somebody gave me:
Get the UKCAT over and done with over the summer, that way you have ample revision time and no stress from College!
The 600 UKCAT question book is good, but the maths bit is way harder than in the actual exam
And make sure to book early, you dont want to be travellin 20+ miles to get to the test centre

Good luck guys
Reply 1366
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Lol, fair enough. You're still alive so it can't have been that horrendous. :p:

Hahaa exactly :tongue:
Reply 1367
Original post by as_94
How much revision have people done for AS so far? Exams are looming, and I've done very little :\
But the IPL is on TV tempting me :frown:

I revised all module 1's before half term (though I'll still need to go over them again.) I started my module 2 revision on Monday and so far it's going okay. :smile:
Had a vet in my year tell me at some length that "the BMAT isn't that hard" the other day.

I didn't say anything much, but I had a flashback to something I saw Beska post to the effect of "it will be the hardest exam you have ever sat" :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1369
Ouch :sad:

Have you got any plans for your gap year?

Yeah, it's absolutely gutting coming out of the test centre and seeing your chances disappear. That's why I'm strongly advising that you work hard for it. It could be the thing that gets you your offer.

I've been looking for jobs as an HCA but no luck.. I'm going to go to college and do another advanced higher (biology) so that I can apply to English unis. More work experience, voluntary work, maybe Duke of Edinburgh and the friggin' ukcat.

Thing with medicine is that you really need to have SOOOO many things stacked in your favour, it's just so competitive.
I should really start revising :unsure:
Original post by Braddd
Yeah, it's absolutely gutting coming out of the test centre and seeing your chances disappear. That's why I'm strongly advising that you work hard for it. It could be the thing that gets you your offer.

I've been looking for jobs as an HCA but no luck.. I'm going to go to college and do another advanced higher (biology) so that I can apply to English unis. More work experience, voluntary work, maybe Duke of Edinburgh and the friggin' ukcat.

Thing with medicine is that you really need to have SOOOO many things stacked in your favour, it's just so competitive.

Mortal combat. It's the way forward.
Reply 1372
Original post by liviaaa
Again, in the prospectus it says 7 A*'s. That's the 2012 prospectus so they can't change it now. They might only interview with 9 A*'s but they wouldn't annouce that so this is all TSR rumours. :blah:

Just going to what I heard.
It wouldn't surprise me though if they only interview those with GCSEs like that.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Mortal combat. It's the way forward.

Are you suggesting fights to the death as an entrance exam? I'm so up for that.
Original post by tia.may
Here is some advice from someone who did the UKCAT, that i sorta wish somebody gave me:
Get the UKCAT over and done with over the summer, that way you have ample revision time and no stress from College!
The 600 UKCAT question book is good, but the maths bit is way harder than in the actual exam
And make sure to book early, you dont want to be travellin 20+ miles to get to the test centre

Good luck guys

I used to live 23 miles away from a shop :biggrin: Try having to go 130 miles to the nearest centre :tongue:
Original post by Normandy114
Are you suggesting fights to the death as an entrance exam? I'm so up for that.

Well it's no more ridiculous and just as effective as most of the rather tenuous links they draw now between their hurdles and the 'suitability for the course'.

Plus that way you'd either be delighted to have got in or dead. Therefore destroying all disappointment :wink:
Reply 1376
Original post by Normandy114
I should really start revising :unsure:

Lol, same! I keep getting distracted :mad:
Glad to know I'm not the only one though!
Original post by liviaaa
I revised all module 1's before half term (though I'll still need to go over them again.) I started my module 2 revision on Monday and so far it's going okay. :smile:

This half term, for me it's unit F332 (ie the longer unit 2) chemistry, unit 1 biology and unit 1 classical civilisation.

Fun.
Reply 1378
Original post by navarre
This half term, for me it's unit F332 (ie the longer unit 2) chemistry, unit 1 biology and unit 1 classical civilisation.

Fun.

Okay cool :smile: Will you do the rest post Easter?
Original post by Braddd

I know how you feel (well felt) :/I also hate how you don't know exactly how good is good so you feel rubbish. Mines were between 600 and 680 but i kept reading everywhere "it you must be above average" which put me down :/ I couldn't decide what was more upsetting: not getting into uni this year or having to resit the ukcat :tongue:

Where did you apply and did you get any interviews?

Latest

Trending

Trending