The Student Room Group

Question about 'cheating' the Apple Student Discount online

I'm not actually in Uni yet, but I'll be going in September. I've had this link bookmarked for a few months now:

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000832/

Obviously as far as I've read, usually you can only get the 'discount' if you log on to the apple website while you're at University using your uni's network... but if I click on that link it takes me to a discounted page and it seems like I'll be able to 'cheat' a little bit and get the discount now just by ordering through that link...

My only question is, is it really that easy? I want to order a Macbook pro with a few upgraded specs - should I be able to order using that link and my home adress and get a discounted MBP nice and easily? Or eventually as I progress through the order might they ask for more proof / realise I'm not actually at uni and just using a random link off the web and charge me the higher price?

TL;DR: can I use the above link to get a HE discount on a Macbook Pro even though I'm not at uni, or am I misunderstanding how easy this seems.

Scroll to see replies

the only way to get those links are by logging on when you're at the institution. so it's not easy for the general public to get hold of them (obviously forums spread them about a bit)

never tried but i imagine you can order straight off it. you could also ring up and just tell them you're a student and you'll get the discount (occasionally they ask for proof).

and they won't just charge you the higher price, if they suspect anything dodgey they'll just ask for proof and cancel the order if you don't give any
Nope you can't.

You can get an education discount ~8% through the standard educational store, but in order to get the whole discount (14%) you need to either do it through your uni network or call up and send them a scan of your ID.

Ps. Apple do a back to school offer, you get a free ipod touch or printer. They normally run from the end of June to the end of August.
Reply 3
Original post by winter_mute
Nope you can't.

You can get an education discount ~8% through the standard educational store, but in order to get the whole discount (14%) you need to either do it through your uni network or call up and send them a scan of your ID.

Ps. Apple do a back to school offer, you get a free ipod touch or printer. They normally run from the end of June to the end of August.

What? Sorry, you've confused me a bit, because the person above you said I could use the link but you're saying I can't..

so what is in that link I linked in the first post; am I only getting 8% through that link? I'm sure that's 14%... What would happen if I orderered through that link then? Would my order not be processed because they'd "see" I wasn't actually on a Uni network?
Original post by Tim_1992
What? Sorry, you've confused me a bit, because the person above you said I could use the link but you're saying I can't..

so what is in that link I linked in the first post; am I only getting 8% through that link? I'm sure that's 14%... What would happen if I orderered through that link then? Would my order not be processed because they'd "see" I wasn't actually on a Uni network?

Well give it a go. Most likely though they'll ask you to provide proof that you're a student. What's the worst that can happen?
I don't see why the link shouldn't work. i wasn't asked for student ID when I ordered online.
Reply 6
You can use VPN to connect through your university network off-campus if you know the VPN details.
Reply 7
Hmm, not really got a solid answer yet.. I was hoping someone would have used one of these links before and so could give me an answer with personal experience! : P

I just don't want to go through the whole process of ordering if, say, when I put in a home adress rather than a Uni address or something they say I'm unable to place an order or whatever.
Reply 8
any more opinions? think i can use that link safe and sound with no probs? I know there's only one way to truly find out... but i'm curious as to what others think to it, that's all :P
Reply 9
Just go into the apple store and show them some ucas letters that confirm your place and im sure they'd accept them as proof rather than cheating.
Reply 10
Original post by Jodly.X
Just go into the apple store and show them some ucas letters that confirm your place and im sure they'd accept them as proof rather than cheating.

Yeah, was thinking on doing that but maybe you'll know - can you get the 'upgraded' Macbooks from there? As in, on the website you have the options to pay more for extra memory, anti-glare screens, better processors, etc... Can you order those ones there? If you can I'll actually definately do that, I was just under the impression they only had the 'standard' macbooks there...Maybe that was silly of me? xD
Reply 11
Yeah, was thinking on doing that but maybe you'll know - can you get the 'upgraded' Macbooks from there? As in, on the website you have the options to pay more for extra memory, anti-glare screens, better processors, etc... Can you order those ones there? If you can I'll actually definately do that, I was just under the impression they only had the 'standard' macbooks there...Maybe that was silly of me? xD

Erm im not sure, I'd think you'd be able to order them from there if you can online because when I bought mine they just did it through of one the imac computers and it was in the thing like you see online.
Email your store or just pop in and ask :smile: or if you do it online they might require proof being sent.
Reply 12
Original post by Jodly.X
Erm im not sure, I'd think you'd be able to order them from there if you can online because when I bought mine they just did it through of one the imac computers and it was in the thing like you see online.
Email your store or just pop in and ask :smile: or if you do it online they might require proof being sent.

Yeahh think I'll do that y'know! Cheers for the help, +rep :smile:
Reply 13
Yeahh think I'll do that y'know! Cheers for the help, +rep :smile:

Its okay :smile: I remember having the same problems with deciding what I was going to do when I planned on getting my macbook :smile:
Reply 14
In case you have not yet tried ordering;
As previously stated if you order through that link you will be charged with the 15% discount. However Apple may at any time ask for proof that you are a student. If they do this and you can not provide the necessary proof you are refunded. Although, you should already have valid proof - your letter of acceptance.
It might me easier buying it in-store, you just need to print out your letter of acceptance and valid proof that you are who the letter is directed at :smile:

Often enough though, they do not end up asking for proof - A friend of mine ordered over the phone and got the full 15% discount without having to give any ID number!
I'm not actually in Uni yet, but I'll be going in September. I've had this link bookmarked for a few months now:

http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000832/

Obviously as far as I've read, usually you can only get the 'discount' if you log on to the apple website while you're at University using your uni's network... but if I click on that link it takes me to a discounted page and it seems like I'll be able to 'cheat' a little bit and get the discount now just by ordering through that link...

My only question is, is it really that easy? I want to order a Macbook pro with a few upgraded specs - should I be able to order using that link and my home adress and get a discounted MBP nice and easily? Or eventually as I progress through the order might they ask for more proof / realise I'm not actually at uni and just using a random link off the web and charge me the higher price?

TL;DR: can I use the above link to get a HE discount on a Macbook Pro even though I'm not at uni, or am I misunderstanding how easy this seems.

Well I ordered one last summer through a link posted by someone for their university. There were a few so I can't remember which one I actually used. Got it no problem. And if you have an NUS card you should be able to get it as well.

I'd recommend you wait until the summer - with every macbook you get £100 towards a new iPod (can claim one valued at £100 for free than sell it) as well as a free printer!
Reply 17
heres a ranscript of a conversation i had with an apple rep

* You are chatting with Kelly M, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Kelly M. Welcome to Apple!

You: Type your response here and press Return to send it...hi

Kelly M: Hello! How may I assist you today?

You: i am purchasing a macbook pro via my university discount link

Kelly M: Alright, brilliant.

You: would it be okay for me to get it shipped to my home address?

Kelly M: Sure, as long as that address is within the UK, that's no problem at all.

You: would you require any additional verification?

Kelly M: We wouldn't.

You: so no universiy id scan etc?

Kelly M: Purchasing through your uni's network serves as proof.

You: im using my mobile broadband dongle at the moment

You: my university provided me with the link

You: i can still access it

Kelly M: That's fine.

You: ok thanks

Kelly M: Thanks for waiting. I'll be right with you.

You: sorry

You: i just need the macbook for thursday

You: and was told by colleagues

You: that apple wouldnt ship the macbook within 24hrs

You: due to extra verification required

You: as i wont be ordering whilst on the university network

Kelly M: The most accurate delivery information can be viewed by adding the items you'd like to your basket, then entering your post code on the basket screen. However, there would be no differences in delivery time whether ordering through your uni or not.
Reply 18
Original post by staah

You: due to extra verification required

You: as i wont be ordering whilst on the university network

Kelly M: The most accurate delivery information can be viewed by adding the items you'd like to your basket, then entering your post code on the basket screen. However, there would be no differences in delivery time whether ordering through your uni or not.

Were you not able to order then? Did they want any extra verification in the end as well?

Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by ab786
Were you not able to order then? Did they want any extra verification in the end as well?

Thanks

Yeah, how did it turn out? I'm planning to go to an apple store in 2 weeks time to order mine with my ucas acceptance letter, however if you were able to order fine without any hitches maybe I don't need to do that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending