The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Yep. Forsinard (have a look on google maps post code KW13 6YT) isn't exactly jumpin' :biggrin:

What usually blows people's minds is that I live 5.5 hours NORTH of Aberdeen.

So I'm guessing that no other house has the same post code as you - that's pretty cool! :cool:
Reply 1401
Original post by Quackers93
I think my average was 632.5 which is slightly above the 600 thats claimed average but I think this year you had to have a really good one because most I think just used ti to kick people out to get rid of the sheer voume of applicants :/

I applied to all the same :biggrin: St. Andrews have a cut off? :s-smilie: I never knew that... I'll need to try and get a good one this year then :/ I spoke to a woman from their at a ucas fair thing and she said that I must have had a good ps to have gotten an interview which implies ps is quite key :s-smilie: I don't know why I really applied to Edinburgh either, I loved the city and the school but the admissions tutor was really rude to me and so was another woman recently stupid people :tongue:

I got rejected from Dundee really early. I just assumed I was below the cut off but (no offence) I guess not :s ah wells I just put it down cause I didn't know where else to put. :rolleyes:

I'm awaiting feedback. So far I've mainly got that there were better applicants which was oh so helpeful so applied for more :tongue: where are you considering applying to this year?

Yeah its definitely just a quick way to cut 1,000 or so applications. Yeah, it's the same for 2012 entry. Anyone under 2457 is likely not to be considered. I'm gonna work hard to get a much better, fuller ps this year. It's really is crucial.

I didn't realise how competitive Edinburgh was really until AFTER I had applied.

Dundee cut LOADS of people in December and gave out 500 or so interview all within the space of a week. It must've been my ps that got me an interview because Dundee were the last place I would have thought I'd have gotten one, seeing as they LOVE the ukcat.

Yeah, my feedback from Aberdeen was poor. They basically just said that there were lots of applicants... I MEAN REALLY? Like I didn't know that already.

I'm gonna re-apply to Aberdeen and Dundee definitely. I'll try Glasgow depending on my UKCAT (failing that st andrews) and then a uni in England (depending on AH results). Where were you thinking?
Reply 1402
Was that a joke or did you type 3 by accident :tongue:

650+ Will be ok for Scottish unis (famous last words...) if they use a cutoff. Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee etc scale. i.e they will consider any score and then give points for how high it is, so they may reject you based on it.

Was a joke.. a bad joke...

Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for this year. It was my downfall this year and don't understand how I even got an interview..
Original post by thegodofgod
So I'm guessing that no other house has the same post code as you - that's pretty cool! :cool:

Not quite. Maybe 3 houses with the same one :tongue: Trouble is it is registered as being near Kirkwall (KW.....) so try convincing amazon that you live on the mainland....:tongue:

Yeah next day delivery never really works with us :biggrin:
Well it's no more ridiculous and just as effective as most of the rather tenuous links they draw now between their hurdles and the 'suitability for the course'.

Plus that way you'd either be delighted to have got in or dead. Therefore destroying all disappointment :wink:

+Rep purely for your name :biggrin:
Original post by Braddd
Was a joke.. a bad joke...

Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for this year. It was my downfall this year and don't understand how I even got an interview..

haha sorry :tongue:

My Glasgow interview was appalling too....well I thought it was. They obviously took pity on me. I hated the experience so much I threw their offer in their face :biggrin:
Reply 1406
haha sorry :tongue:

My Glasgow interview was appalling too....well I thought it was. They obviously took pity on me. I hated the experience so much I threw their offer in their face :biggrin:

Haha, was it really that bad?

I thought my Dundee one was good but it was apparently "average". I suppose it's hard to tell when you are being assessed whilst being shouted at by an actor, and you have to calm them down, then they become more irate because they haven't came top of the class, and then you try to explain that they don't need to be top of the class, then they shout even more, then you try to calm them down again, then the actor fails at being angry and starts laughing, then the guy that is assessing you starts laughing, and then you leave, and then you think what the f.u.c.k. just happened...... :K:

They gave me a hard time and they knew it haha.
Not quite. Maybe 3 houses with the same one :tongue: Trouble is it is registered as being near Kirkwall (KW.....) so try convincing amazon that you live on the mainland....:tongue:

Yeah next day delivery never really works with us :biggrin:

Meh - wouldn't make a difference to me if I was in your situation as I hardly ever get stuff from there. Although living where you do, I'd probably have to start going on Amazon a lot more :tongue:
Original post by Braddd
Yeah its definitely just a quick way to cut 1,000 or so applications. Yeah, it's the same for 2012 entry. Anyone under 2457 is likely not to be considered. I'm gonna work hard to get a much better, fuller ps this year. It's really is crucial.

I didn't realise how competitive Edinburgh was really until AFTER I had applied.

Dundee cut LOADS of people in December and gave out 500 or so interview all within the space of a week. It must've been my ps that got me an interview because Dundee were the last place I would have thought I'd have gotten one, seeing as they LOVE the ukcat.

Yeah, my feedback from Aberdeen was poor. They basically just said that there were lots of applicants... I MEAN REALLY? Like I didn't know that already.

I'm gonna re-apply to Aberdeen and Dundee definitely. I'll try Glasgow depending on my UKCAT (failing that st andrews) and then a uni in England (depending on AH results). Where were you thinking?

Last year I really should have done more prep for the ukcat but at least know i realise i really should prepare for it this time instead of leaving it for a week or two before. (Note: people reading this who have never done the ukcat take note of this: prepare! it will probably help :tongue:)

My Aberdeen one was similar and oh so helpful though it was better than edinburghs. Cant remember what it said on the decision letter on ucas but it felt like they were saying "There are so many better people, so screw you!"

I'm thinking Aberdeen again and St. Andrews which is my favourite I think (closely follwed by Aberdeen) Not sure about others maybe Glasgow but cause I've got lots of family in Paisley it might feel too close to home although hundreds of miles away :tongue: Might look at English ones this time - and maybe Cardiff too cause i did work experience in swansea and now love wales :rolleyes: I'll need to go on open days this time i only went to Ed. cause I missed them all haha

Hopefully more places will like us this year because we'll have had a year to 'mature' (not likely) at least we won't be as phased by the prospect of an interview so may do better, we'll probably be more mature for the year out and we'll have more work experience. whats not to love about reapplicants :rolleyes:
Reply 1409
Original post by Quackers93
they are for each individual test but eg2500 is refering to the total score :smile:

Original post by Normandy114
Individual tests are between 300 and 900, totals are between 1200 and 3600

Original post by Braddd
It's scored like that for each section, but remember there are four sections. So really the whole thing is out of 3600 (900 max for each).

Thanks! They take an average though don't they? :smile:
Reply 1410
Also the BMAT isn't until November - are you allowed to submit your UCAS before youve completed it?
Original post by liviaaa
Also the BMAT isn't until November - are you allowed to submit your UCAS before youve completed it?

Well seeing as the deadline is October 15th you kinda have to.
Reply 1412
Original post by Normandy114
Well seeing as the deadline is October 15th you kinda have to.

Okay! So I assume they start to rank the candidates then add in the BMAT score?
Original post by thegodofgod
Meh - wouldn't make a difference to me if I was in your situation as I hardly ever get stuff from there. Although living where you do, I'd probably have to start going on Amazon a lot more :tongue:

Yeah.

'I'm just popping out to the....RSPB Nature reserve :tongue:'
Reply 1414
Original post by Braddd

I thought my Dundee one was good but it was apparently "average". I suppose it's hard to tell when you are being assessed whilst being shouted at by an actor, and you have to calm them down, then they become more irate because they haven't came top of the class, and then you try to explain that they don't need to be top of the class, then they shout even more, then you try to calm them down again, then the actor fails at being angry and starts laughing, then the guy that is assessing you starts laughing, and then you leave, and then you think what the f.u.c.k. just happened...... :K:

Are you serious?! They do a role play? :eek:
Original post by Braddd

Yeah it was pretty awful. I quite enjoyed my Dundee one....reminded me of nursery :biggrin:
Original post by liviaaa
Thanks! They take an average though don't they? :smile:

It depends on what they look at. But basically they'll give the same information. Your average score x number of tests = total so it doesnt really matter :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa

Yep, one of the bases was a girl crying. Task: Console them :biggrin:
Reply 1418
Original post by liviaaa

Yup, it's a fun interview though. 10 mini interviews. 5 normal and 5 activities.
Reply 1419
Yeah it was pretty awful. I quite enjoyed my Dundee one....reminded me of nursery :biggrin:

Do tell.

Yeah I enjoyed it too. Certainly the quickest 70 minutes I've ever spent.

Latest

Trending

Trending