The Student Room Group

Why was the evangelical preacher in the Church in Florida not classed as a terrorist

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aj12
Because he admitted he had never read the Quran. Its hard to know something about a religion if you have not read the central text.

And I have already given my reasons

Why would he need to read the Koran. I have not read the Koran, only parts of it and from the little I have read I know that apostacy is treated with death, women are treated as subhuman etc. etc.
Reply 21
Original post by Scottish
Why would he need to read the Koran. I have not read the Koran, only parts of it and from the little I have read I know that apostacy is treated with death, women are treated as subhuman etc. etc.

If you want to talk about Islam with any authority reading the Quran is pretty crucial.
Reply 22
Original post by Limitless
The one who burnt the Qur'an whilst being supervised by the Pastor Terry Jones. Whenever I say to somebody I'm a Muslim all of a sudden most people assume I'm a terrorist, according to Wikipedia

OP, I agree that society is wrong to disregard emotional violence and that his actions were upsetting. As a cultural Christian, I was certainly upset by them. But I'm often a bit disappointed by (some) Muslims. It seems to me that most credible factions of Christians and Jews (Anglican Christians, for example) would not react to blasphemy with such anger.

Sometimes, it is better to be the bigger man and step back from conflict; it's much better than being an angry little terrier, snapping and giving people a kick from the attention. His actions were disgusting and wrong, but he needs no more attention than that condemnation.

Your religion and your God are strong, and they don't need you to protect them from earthly slander, particularly such petty and pathetic attempts as this moron's.
Reply 23

Similar rules abound in the Bible. The Christian world gave prominence to these several centuries ago before fixing up. This caused innumerable massacres of Jews, witch-hunts, religious inquisitions, crusades or other Vatican-backed wars, and God only knows what else, for at least a millennium 600-1600. The Islamic world is making a later but speedier transition through this stage, largely aided by the need to adhere to Western norms on an international scale.

You will note that several countries of the Gulf are so Westernised that they're more filthily capitalist even than America. Barbaric Islamic laws are in these countries and in Western ones almost complete non-issues, because Muslims in these countries disregard barbarism as vehemently and automatically as their Christian or pseudo-Christian neighbours.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Arekkusu
Similar rules abound in the Bible. The Christian world gave prominence to these several centuries ago before fixing up. This caused innumerable massacres of Jews, witch-hunts, religious inquisitions, crusades or other Vatican-backed wars, and God only knows what else. The Islamic world is making a later but speedier transition through this stage, largely aided by the need to adhere to Western norms on an international scale.

You will note that several countries of the Gulf are so Westernised that they're more filthily capitalist even than America. Barbaric Islamic laws are in these countries and in Western ones almost complete non-issues, because Muslims in these countries disregard barbarism as vehemently and automatically as their Christian or pseudo-Christian neighbours.

Fortunatley Christians do not take the bible literally as Muslims do, however I would say the Koran is worse. Only in the koran does it allow its followers to rape its slaves and captured infidel women.

And for your informaiton all western societies are better than Islamic societies, in every way, economic, technological, socially etc. What does that tell you ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Fortunatley Christians do not take the bible literally as Muslims do, however I would say the Koran is worse. Only in the koran does it allow its followers to rape its slaves and captured infidel women.

And for your informaiton all western socities are better that Islamic societies. What does that tell you ?

Yes, I agree with you when you analyse it just for right now, but it took us a good millennium to get out of this mode of thinking, whereas since the advent of globalisation the Islamosphere has been modernising at a rate 1-2 orders of magnitude faster.

They are just in a different stage to us: remember Islam is 600 years younger than Christianity as it is.

And while I haven't read the Koran I know that in many prominent books of the Old Testament both rape and enslavement of members of different races/cultures was encouraged. These parts of the Old Testament were written for a sphere in perpetual war. The incitement to violence in both holy books is probably comparable given they have more or less the same origin.

And "better ... technologically" (as you edited)? The Muslims had a powerful empire in the late first millennium and pretty much anything we have beginning with "al-" comes from them.

CHEMISTRY
- Alchemy
- Alkali
- Alcohol
- Alembic

MATHS
- Algebra
- Arithmetic
- Algorithm
- Cipher
- Zero

Back then the Islamosphere was way more scientific and enlightened than Christendom - after all, it had the money.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Arekkusu
Yes, I agree with you when you analyse it today, but it took us a good millennium to get out of this mode of thinking, whereas since the advent of globalisation the Islamosphere has been modernising at a rate 1-2 orders of magnitude faster.

They are just in a different stage to us: remember Islam is 600 years younger than Christianity as it is.

Its is 400 years younger, and to say that this is because why Islam is so barbaric is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. Don't give me this 'Islam' is a younger religion rubbish. The koran says what it says and means what it says. By saying you are modernising means you are becoming secualr and your scripture is essentially false.

Which proves that Islamic countries will turn atheist as their social philosophies grow, they embrace tolerance of other people and womens and homosexual rights etc.

It just goes to show that Islam is a crock just like christianity
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Who did he terrorize ?

Muslims.

Original post by Aj12
Because he was not committing crimes of terror just crimes of ignorance

He was commiting hate crimes though. I don't understand how he gets off with nothing, yet when a Muslim burns a poppy it's a whole different story (no I'm not defending it). They are both as bad as each other, both are hate crimes, yet the punishment is different.
Reply 28
Muslims.

He was commiting hate crimes though. I don't understand how he gets off with nothing, yet when a Muslim burns a poppy it's a whole different story (no I'm not defending it). They are both as bad as each other, both are hate crimes, yet the punishment is different.

He did not terrorize Muslims, strapping a bomb to himself and exploding in a mosque would be terrorizing Muslims, Burning a book is not.
Reply 29

Exactly you read parts of it. Therefore out of context.

"I'm getting some tonight" If you just read that you would assume the person is talking about sex but he is actually talking about medicine for his sinuses.
Reply 30
He did not terrorize Muslims, strapping a bomb to himself and exploding in a mosque would be terrorizing Muslims, Burning a book is not.

Exactly to you it's "just a book" it holds a much greater value in the eyes of a Muslim.
Reply 31
Muslims.

Pastor Jones is in the US. Over there both events would go unpunished.
Reply 32
Exactly to you it's "just a book" it holds a much greater value in the eyes of a Muslim.

It does not matter how much value it holds to them. that is not the issue.

You post stinks of advocating special treatment
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Its is 400 years younger, and to say that this is because why Islam is so barbaric is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. Don't give me this 'Islam' is a younger religion rubbish. The koran says what it says and means what it says. By saying you are modernising means you are becoming secualr and your scripture is essentially false.

Which proves that Islamic countries will turn atheist as their social philosophies grow, they embrace tolerance of other people and womens and homosexual rights etc.

It just goes to show that Islam is a crock just like christianity

Yes, I fully agree that (the application of) both religions are crocks. I'm hardly condoning the barbarism in either religion. And Islamic countries will continue to turn atheist. I'm simply pointing out that the tensions we see today are the result of an accelerated rate of modernisation currently ongoing rather than a spiralling barbarism.

Younger religion is not rubbish: the religions are similar in origin and philosophy. I wouldn't want to put forward a "standard model" of religion development with rigid time scales but we could say that both religions took 1500-1600 years to modernise or thereabouts.

Most of it is just because of the geography anyway: the Fertile Crescent is apt to cause wars and to breed revolution because it is the only decent land between Morocco and Mongolia.
Reply 34
Exactly you read parts of it. Therefore out of context.

"I'm getting some tonight" If you just read that you would assume the person is talking about sex but he is actually talking about medicine for his sinuses.

Do not try and tell me that death for apostacy is out of context, or womens are worth only half of that of man is out of context. It is not out of context, it means what it says.

You are like one of these preachers in 'undercover mosque' who says vile things and then claims they were taken out of context.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Steevee
Then every Muslims that burns a flag is also a Terrorist. Every Muslim that calls Homosexuality is a Terrorist. Every Muslim that stones a woman or removes a limb is a Terrorist.

No, I disagree. Terrorism requires the infliction of Terror. All he did was annoy some Muslims, not terrorize them.

I was just thinking that :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Aj12
Pastor Jones is in the US. Over there both events would go unpunished.

Defined in the 1999 National Crime Victim Survey, "A hate crime is a criminal offense. In the United States, federal prosecution is possible for hate crimes committed on the basis of a person's race, religion, or nation origin when engaging in a federally protected activity."

Taken from good old wikipedia.
Reply 37
Do not try and tell me that death for apostacy is out of context, or womens are worth only half of that of man is out of context. It is not out of context, it means what it says.

You are like one of these preachers in 'undercover mosque' who says vile things and then claims they were taken out of context.

Do you speak arabic? And what's an undercover mosque?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
Taken from good old wikipedia.

True but burning the Quran does not consitute a hate crime there
Reply 39
Original post by Aj12
True but burning the Quran does not consitute a hate crime there

How is it not? It was motivated by prejudice was it not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending