The Student Room Group

Mother has no respect for my privacy!

Scroll to see replies

I have a box like that with little letters in from my friends which aren't "private" in the sense that I'm hiding anything but they're "personal" to me. My Mum once started looking through them, while I was sat right there, and then got angry/upset when I got annoyed and asked her to put them back in the box. There's nothing wrong with having privacy, but I think parents find it difficult to realise that their baby is an adult and needs that privacy- whereas if they were like 10 or something it'd be okay to look through their room, as they'd be the ones (most likely) cleaning in there.
Reply 161
Original post by senator88
I am so angry, my mum just went through my things in my bedroom 'looking for the remote' and came across my padlocked box (hidden at the very back of one of my drawers) to which I keep private things. I was in the shower she then banged on the door demanding to know what was in there and rattling it about. I am seriously at my wits end. But the annoying thing is that SHE is the one angry at ME cos she thinks i'm hiding something! I'm eighteen!! I'm moving out in September but have no where to go until then. I have tried sitting down with her and talking about it but she's the one who gets angry at me saying I'm hiding stuff. She opens my mail and reads my texts. The reason I bought the padlocked box in the first place was so she wouldn't be able to go through my things but I guess this has not worked. I'm so worked up right now, and I know for a fact as soon as i'm off to college tomorrow she will somehow manage to break into the padlocked box cause that is what she's like. When I was a bit younger she went through my phone and found some messages to an ex that were slightly 'naughty' and went mental at me, didn't talk to me for weeks even though she invaded my privacy, she doesn't even care about that. I could forgive her then however as I wasn't legally an adult but now i'm nearly nineteen I am so angry, I can't stop shaking.

Has anyone ever been in this situation?

lol bet you have a dildo in your box
Reply 162

Fill it with this picture!!
Tell her to **** off :redface:
Original post by BookWormShanti
What's in the box?

WHAT'S IN THE BOX??!?!

This thread has no answers. Until I have further notice I will assume the box contains OP's collection of toenail clippings.
Original post by Suzanathema
WHAT'S IN THE BOX??!?!

This thread has no answers. Until I have further notice I will assume the box contains OP's collection of toenail clippings.

:rofl:

but seriously, what IS in the box??
Original post by penguin-
Lol why are you now giving advice to hide stuff :confused:
You just spent ages slagging people off who get annoyed when their parents go through their things.

You've clearly just never had any privacy from your parents, don't worry, you'll get loads when you move out

erm cose thas just common sense, if you really have issues about privacy then obviusly you should hide it so it isnt getting attention.

And yes i do get privacy from my parents and thas why i aint the one that is complaining about privacy issues =/

my first post already had said to hide things anyways, its not like i came up with it after slaggin everyone of =/
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Manesh2468
whas the use for a door then? to stop someone or something from coming in.

As mentioned earlier, walls insulate the house by reducing loss of electrical heat and draft. Now, of course we could have walled-houses without doors, but that wouldn't be particularly intelligent. In regard to windows, they also let in natural light.
Reply 168
Original post by senator88
I don't think thats the point of the thread. I just wanted to know if other people had been in this situation.

Have, just shout at her.
erm cose thas just common sense, if you really have issues about privacy then obviusly you should hide it so it isnt getting attention.

And yes i do get privacy from my parents and thas why i aint the one that is complaining about privacy issues =/

Yeah but you've contradicted yourself, you were preaching about how it was acceptable for people's parents to look through their things and how we shouldn't hide stuff then you said that.

No you don't get privacy. You said your parents look through your things. That's not privacy.
FFS OP! What is in the box?!
Original post by Chaofan88
As mentioned earlier, walls insulate the house by reducing loss of electrical heat and draft. Now, of course we could have walled-houses without doors, but that wouldn't be particularly intelligent. In regard to windows, they also let in natural light.

your stating the obvious, i was only using it as a example but you lots dont get what im trying to say so yeh lol at you lots.
Reply 172
Love how this thread has turned into an argument about the purpose of doors ...
Original post by im so academic

Original post by im so academic
:rofl: Agreed!

I like how what ever you comment on, people always neg rep you lol.

You are something SPECIAL :smile:
Yeah but you've contradicted yourself, you were preaching about how it was acceptable for people's parents to look through their things and how we shouldn't hide stuff then you said that.

No you don't get privacy. You said your parents look through your things. That's not privacy.

i wasnt talking about hidden objects, in this case the box is obviously in sight and has a padlock on it there for raising curiousity in the parents mind this can obviously be avoided by hiding it so it cannot be seen in the first place, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

If it was hidden objects then i dont see how they would have any reason to go through your stuff for which they dont even know about unless you were a trouble child and they were worried about you.
i wasnt talking about hidden objects, in this case the box is obviously in sight and has a padlock on it there for raising curiousity in the parents mind this can obviously be avoided by hiding it so it cannot be seen in the first place, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

If it was hidden objects then i dont see how they would have any reason to go through your stuff for which they dont even know about unless you were a trouble child and they were worried about you.

Well the OP said the box wasn't on direct display and that the mother was 'looking for the remote' so don't write in capital letters like I'm an idiot, because I'm not. You've taken this thread completely off topic with your contradictive and nonsensical views

I don't know how to respond to that second paragraph because you have completely changed your views since you first started posting, probably because you realised you were wrong.
Well the OP said the box wasn't on direct display and that the mother was 'looking for the remote' so don't write in capital letters like I'm an idiot, because I'm not. You've taken this thread completely off topic with your contradictive and nonsensical views

I don't know how to respond to that second paragraph because you have completely changed your views since you first started posting, probably because you realised you were wrong.

No i havent taken it off topic, its all the people that complained about my original post that have taken it off topic so DONT BLAME ME haha, and no i aint wrong, its not my fault if you people are too stubburn to understand my point... read my original post and read the rest of them and you will see that i aint changed my mind.

its basicly like the whole world can call a normal person mad and then he will be "mad", i aint really bothered im pretty sure what i said was helpful (unless was a reply to idiots who commented on other aspects of what i was writing).

o yeh how can you go thro something that you dont even know exists? read thro the second paragraph of what u quoted carefully..
(edited 13 years ago)
No i havent taken it off topic, its all the people that complained about my original post that have taken it off topic so DONT BLAME ME haha, and no i aint wrong, its not my fault if you people are too stubburn to understand my point... read my original post and read the rest of them and you will see that i aint changed my mind.

its basicly like the whole world can call a normal person mad and then he will be "mad", i aint really bothered im pretty sure what i said was helpful (unless was a reply to idiots who commented on other aspects of what i was writing).

your first post was:

no offence to any of u lots , but ur all typical white people =/ what u lots crying bout privacy against the person that raised you, ur still living in there house and what ever is inside it belongs to them basicly and even if your "paying" to be there its still there property and they have the right to know the contents of it. BTW putting a padlock on a box does tempt curiousity obviously anyone would want to know whats inside it once they have seen it, cose its a bit like saying "theres something in hear that your not allowed to see" and thas like the dumbest thing u could say to ur parents since after that they WILL want to see whats inside it. Anyways bout hiding what ever ur hiding it makes more sense to hide somewhere where no one ever goes or somewhere hard to get to gl.... neg rep the hell out of me roflmao cose the truth hurts!

How is that helpful? I don't think I need to say anymore tbh.
your first post was:

How is that helpful? I don't think I need to say anymore tbh.

no offence to any of u lots , but ur all typical white people =/ what u lots crying bout privacy against the person that raised you, ur still living in there house and what ever is inside it belongs to them basicly and even if your "paying" to be there its still there property and they have the right to know the contents of it. BTW putting a padlock on a box does tempt curiousity obviously anyone would want to know whats inside it once they have seen it, cose its a bit like saying "theres something in hear that your not allowed to see" and thas like the dumbest thing u could say to ur parents since after that they WILL want to see whats inside it. Anyways bout hiding what ever ur hiding it makes more sense to hide somewhere where no one ever goes or somewhere hard to get to gl.... neg rep the hell out of me roflmao cose the truth hurts!

yeh you should learn to read...

yeh you should learn to read...

Don't be insulting, I can read, which is a feat within itself considering how you type.
I'm not going to bother anymore. Your first piece of advice was not useful, especially as it was proceeded by ''you're all typical white people''

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending