The Student Room Group

Do I have social anxiety?

I am 18 and at uni. I feel like I might have social anxiety. What do you think?

1. I barely talk to people.
2. If I do talk to people, I am unable to carry out a normal conversation and start mumbling or saying incredibly awkward stuff.
3. Barely leave my room all day. Often go hungry because I don't want to encounter people.
4. Get really conscious of people. Like avoiding places with a lot of people. If I get late for a lecture and realize I will have to enter the hall with everyone sitting already. I skip the lecture.
5. Am incredibly conscious in front of other people. Feel like they are all looking at me. I start to work awkwardly. Arms get stiff. Constantly try fixing my hair.

Just some of the things...What should I do?
Reply 1
Who knows, maybe you are maybe you aren't. Go see a doctor and tell him, not us.
Reply 2
Probably approaching it, certainly it's likely to develop if you don't change something. Usually people grow out of that around 16, 17. Your attributional style suggests you might be a bit Asperger's or for whatever other reason quite blunt and unemotional.
Reply 3
Yep.
Yes it sounds like social anxiety to me, but don't worry thousands of people suffer it so it's not uncommon. I think you'd benefit from making an appointment with a counsellor at your uni to approach what you think might happen if you did walk in late and how to steal with your anxieties and making more rational sense out of them.
Putting my e-psychiatrist hat on, I'm gonna say avoidant personality disorder. For a refreshing change. :awesome:

:facepalm: see a doctor, no one here can diagnose you.
Reply 7
Original post by darkxangel

Got 79. Says I have got "marked social anxiety". What would that mean?
lol I got severe social phobia according to that :lol:
Original post by Anonymous
Got 79. Says I have got "marked social anxiety". What would that mean?

It means that you should talk to your GP.

2. If I do talk to people, I am unable to carry out a normal conversation and start mumbling or saying incredibly awkward stuff.
3. Barely leave my room all day. Often go hungry because I don't want to encounter people.
4. Get really conscious of people. Like avoiding places with a lot of people. If I get late for a lecture and realize I will have to enter the hall with everyone sitting already. I skip the lecture.
5. Am incredibly conscious in front of other people. Feel like they are all looking at me. I start to work awkwardly. Arms get stiff. Constantly try fixing my hair.

From the description you have given, I think you are probably a squirrel. Or possibly a feral cat.
you sound like me :frown:

I got 107. Woo, I'm a winner.
Original post by Sabertooth
I got 107. Woo, I'm a winner.

That's average. Nothing to get exited about.
Original post by bognor-regis
That's average. Nothing to get exited about.

I never win. :emo:
Original post by Sabertooth
I never win. :emo:

Hey come on now. Your time is gonna come.

I got 87 :O Am I normal?
Reply 17
Am I normal?

No

:colone:
Reply 18
Maybe. Or maybe you're Jesus.
Reply 19

as someone who has suffered with social anxiety for a quarter of my 21 year old life, i can say that test is useless, you should talk to a GP, let it all out lol.. at the end of the day no one else will ever know except the GP and he can't say **** to anyone so, don't be afraid to express how you feel to him, since you'll rarely ever see him again..

i barely talk to people, i don't make conversation, i don't ask people questions, people ask me how i am etc and i say fine and don't say anything else :\, i can't hold eye contact and because I have basically just consumed it for the last 5+ years, holding a conversation is quite hard.. when people talk to me, all i basically think is, wow this person must think i'm a complete social idiot...

as i get to know people, i become more comfortable, for example, my mindset around my family isn't the same as when it's around strangers, i guess i have an attitude, and i am aware of it, but i tell myself.. if i change.. its like people will be like :s-smilie: .. so i just stay miserable me :frown:, instead of allowing people to experience my idiocy, i am usually rude, or just don't talk so they can't get close enough ... i also mumble, and say things that i'm like wtf.. when people talk to me and im like in my mind .. i could care less.. i can't imagine what most people think of me when they talk to me :\, it\s down to a nervousness i guess,

i don't have any problem encountering people and def. don't avoid cooking lol.. if we're not talking.. it's usually okay, but in public spaces i am definitely completely different to when alone, when working in public.. i definitely feel people are looking, judging, and basically i am just sitting there uncomfortably because i'm not comfortable in my own skin, around other people...

i've basically resorted to just existing, not living... there was a time where for YEARS, in my home town, i would not leave my house unless my hair was perfect, and i was dressed nice.. being at uni, where no one really knows me, i can go out looking like sh1t now.. so it's a little better..

anyway i've rambled, you should definitely talk to a professional.

all this and the girls i ''pulled'' in the first year where hotter than july :\

questions:

you are uncomfortable for example working amongst others etc.. do you have the same anxiety around adults??? i personally feel different around people my age, than adults, it's like i care less of their opinion and am more aware that they could care less about me.

you have image problems? personally being online a lot in my teens.. i've probably done more allnighters than anyone on this site, literally... so now i guess i look tired, or at least think i do (although i actually do :biggrin:), paleness etc..

would you feel better if for example you liked the way you looked, say for example one day you caught some sun and had some nice golden skin.. would you feel more confident and able to do things?

as you get to know people more, do you become more comfortable with them?? basically you shut lots of people out, and the ones who slip through.. you're okay with.. kinda at least...

when you're alone... do you have a different mindset? like you're not worrying about other peoples opinions... you're comfortable in your own skin right?? or even when alone in your room do you care what people think :s-smilie:?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending