The Student Room Group

Why is it taboo to consider race and intellect correlate in the general population?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by DavidCraig
Go watch the Olympics.
Take a look at the NFL.
Take a look at basketball etc....

Ok that term was a bit general. White people are better at swimming. Nordic people are the best powerlifters.

There have been studies showing black people have a greater proportion of fast-twitch muscle fibres (run faster) and a lower centre of gravity. Not that anyone with a shred of common sense would need it confirmed. (this coming from an Asian)

I'll think you'll find society and culture define why there are so many black nfl and nba stars and not many black swimming stars. My point is proven even more because the sports you chose where blacks dominate are american sports, where society, culture and environment define race more than any other place in the world. White people aren't any better than black people at swimming and vice versa with other sports. It just so happens more white people take up swimming as a profession, and more black people take up basketball and american football as a profession.

And all this fast twitch fiber stuff is utter rubbish. Again this myth started in america during the 1960s where segrigation and racism was still a large part of their culture. Many studies like this came out at the time to try and make differences between races.

One such study was on the swimming. As you have already mentioned, people had thought that whites were better swimmers. And the studies showed the reason was that apparently blacks had denser bones so were unable to swim as well as whites. Now this was true that the results in the study which showed blacks had denser bones than whites. However the hypothesis of 'cause and effect' was wrong. Bones weren't denser in blacks because of their race, but rather the majority of blacks at the time, and most if not all of the blacks in the study worked hard labour jobs and had to do hard graft around the home. Whereas the whites in the study were keen swimmers, and at the time swimming, especially in pools was something that only rich or fairly affluent people would do. Therefore most of the whites in the studies were affluent people that didn't work hard labour jobs or have to do hard labour graft around the home. It is also a fact that the more hard labour/manual labour you do, the more you are on your feet all day and use your hand etc... the denser your bones are, because you are using your bones a lot and your bones regenerate more when they are used more (that's why astronauts have to exercise in space, because of weightlessness you are not using your bones. And if they don't exercise and use their bones, they start to become brittle and can easily break. Infact even with the exercise they will still have weaker bones when they come back to earth.) Anyway i digress. Therefore later studies realised blacks didn't have denser bones because of their race, but rather because of their personal curcumstances. Also they even realised that this idea of denser bones making a bad swimmer is absolute crass, because it's not like the bones would be dense enough to effect your swimming ability, that's just ludicrous. However at the time the research was done that was an accepted explantion.

So you can see how a lot of these apparent differences between race (and again race is a disputed term) aren't all what they first seem. Cause and effect is a peculiar and misleading thing.
Original post by James10000
Put a Kenyan in London and on a Diet of Tesco and McDonalds then see how fast he runs. Race does not = intelligence its to do with socio economic status of your parents and opportunities available

Yes because British long distance runners are all on a diet of McDonalds.

You may be right but your fear of keeping an open mind is akin to stopping scientific research in case it proves religion wrong.
I'm going to go with...

How exactly can you measure intelligence? Also yes, genetics do play a part but you can't just.... assume one ethnic group is smarter than the other because the majority currently is... especially when one group is ~200 years ahead of the other. (I"m referring to slavery here btw).

Now in no way am I saying that one group is smarter than other, I'm black and graduated in the top percentage in my class and would argue that I'm in the top percentage of my class here at the Uni, however a large majority of blacks (here in America, specifically Florida) don't fill seats in advanced classes.

If given the right tools, no matter who you are, and given the right environment to grow up in, there's no reason why any race is currently "superior" to another in terms of intellect.
Reply 43
Original post by Busby_Babe

You may be right but your fear of keeping an open mind is akin to stopping scientific research in case it proves religion wrong.

what ? my point was Kenyan run fast not because they black but because of the Kenyan lifestyle

Except its proven that life chances depend on parents income and not race.

As for Religion, something science says is true today is called false tomorrow.If anything Science proves there is a god
I have thought of this one before.
But I soon came to the conclusion that its not the fact that it is a taboo its the fact that it is not totally true.
Consider this,
It isnt mostly about talent and being naturally good at something. Experience and environment are probably factors you are missing out.
In addition to this people have different learning styles and different thinking strategies. I think the way the system goes may be limiting some races, but to be completely honest I am going to say we as humans know very little about the way our brains work. Not just this have you ever thought about thinking in general? If you realise those that are the smartest can appear to be the most stupid in society. This might be due to the fact tey think alot, too into detail. Think of a very basic argument, search this argument online, do reaserch on it. By the very end you will find that you are finding it difficult to come to the same conclusion, mostly confused and between two opposite but identical arguments.
So to sum it up I will say overall it isnt how many brain cells you have but how you use them.
Original post by Friar Tuck
There's a theory behind this. I can't remember the details precisely, but basically the Indian and Chinese who we allow to immigrate here will be more successful kinds of people, and therefore more likely to be intelligent.

They are then more likely to have intelligent children as compared to other ethnicities who've lived in the country for more than a few generations, and so have relatively more normal distributions of intelligence.

And so we get these statistics.

I don't think this explains it. We don't make people sit IQ tests to enter.
If anything Science proves there is a god

Um, you what now? :confused:
what ? my point was Kenyan run fast not because they black but because of the Kenyan lifestyle

Except its proven that life chances depend on parents income and not race.

As for Religion, something science says is true today is called false tomorrow.If anything Science proves there is a god

Do you realise elite athletes do not live the same lifestyle as the general population? Runners from every country have a similar diet/training schedule.

Science proves there is a god. You just went full retard.
Reply 48
Original post by adam_zed
You say this is if you are in possession of some sort of knowledge that we are not.

I would say it is because there is no definitive research into the matter. Much of it relies on either IQ or school grades. IQ is a highly questionable way of measuring overall intelligence as well and can also be manipulated by environmental factors. This and school grades are also reliant on the school education. Now the first world is comprised mainly of white majority countries because of their dominance on the world throughout the last 500 or so years. The poorer parts of the developed world are also more likely to be comprised of people of an ethnic background. Now I would say that the exposure to poverty and therefore a lower quality of education has more of a say on the average intelligence of each member of a race then another, but of course you may reject all this and prefer go for the immediate view in order to maybe fit some sort of racial views that you may or may not have.

Awaiting the shower of negs from those who want to ignore contrary evidence and criticisms and say that "research shows" without giving an example of a study that does not rely on school grades nor IQ for the reasons above that I have given.

This.

That said, baseless racism is a lot more fun!
Reply 49
Original post by No Future
I don't think this explains it. We don't make people sit IQ tests to enter.

There are natural barriers though. Like they need to be intelligent to learn our language, they have to be successful enough to have the resources to move here. Then any who fail to integrate or succeed in finding a job here are more likely to leave the country and return to the support of their families etc.

Also, don't we only allow immigrants (from outside the EU) who we feel will contribute to our society in nowadays?
Original post by Friar Tuck
There are natural barriers though. Like they need to be intelligent to learn our language

Being able to speak English doesn't = intelligence and it's taught in schools in Hong Kong and some in India.

English is way easier to learn than many languages.
Original post by Sebsan
Obviously, there is a difference in intelligence between different populations, as the potential for intelligence is mostly hereditary. Liken it to height, where for instance, you have two people where one has a potential height of 1.8m and the other have a potential of 2m, the guy with a potential of 2m will likely be taller than the guy with the potential for 1.8m, but only if they both have similar levels of nourishment.

Equating differences in intelligence to race is rather meaningless though, seeing as the gene pool for Sub-Saharan Africans is a lot bigger than the gene pool of Eurasians, which went through a bottle-neck when we migrated from Africa. Comparing Eurasians to all blacks is subsequently about as meaningsful as comparing a single African ethnicity to all the other African ethnicities. Comparing Indo-Europeans to Asians is probably as meaningsful as comparing the eastern half of an African etnicity to the western.

However, since the topic was to discuss differences between races in terms of intelligence, I will present my personal belief/guesswork. I believe that the greater gene pool of the black "race" means that intelligence probably have a greater variance. Meaning that the African race have more at the very low end of the spectre and more at the very high, i.e. less centered around the average, even though that average will probably be very similar to the Eurasian, assuming that the groups that formed the Eurasians were of a fairly average intelligence. This assumption makes sense to me, the unintelligent wouldn't be able to cope with emigration and the intelligent probably would be able to have a decent life in the place where they already lived.

Please do point it out if I have made any flaws in my reasoning here, and please don't interpet my speculation as racist. If anything, it is the opposite, as it clearly shows one thing that tends to be forgotten about averages; it's an average, and averages don't really tell much unless you know variance and standard deviation.

this is ideological nonsense.

the oriental races are the most intelligent on average and the africans the least intelligent. why convolute the issue?

race or breed exists. why would humans be different from the rest of the species on earth?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by humanrights
the oriental races are the most intelligent on average and the africans the least intelligent. why convolute the issue?

No they are not. Why does everyone think this? Western Europe and North America trumps East Asia in almost every area of academia, and since intelligence is almost certainly nurtured from birth, one can assume this means Western Europeans and North Americans are the most intelligent.
Reply 53
Original post by pol pot noodles
No they are not. Why does everyone think this? Western Europe and North America trumps East Asia in almost every area of academia, and since intelligence is almost certainly nurtured from birth, one can assume this means Western Europeans and North Americans are the most intelligent.

Making assumptions is not a sign of intelligence.
Reply 54
There almost certainly will be some differences in 'intelligence' (lets say they use culturally sensitive IQ testing) between ethnicities. However, no respected, modern day scientist is prepared to do that study as he'll instantly be branded a racist and it will have a negative impact on his career.
Because when it comes down to it there really isn't a great difference in the brains of different races of humans. To deny other physical characteristics such as those stated in the OP is ****ing dumb, but to go and assert that there are intrinsic differences in THE BRAINZ of each race is just as stupid. There's absolutely no evidence for it. IQ tests and the like are more measures of the way in which an individual has been brought up and educated, not how intelligent they are.
(edited 13 years ago)
Pointless. Groups are too large, individual differences are far greater.
The average difference between different sexes and between races will be much smaller than the range between the smartest black female and dumbest white male for example.
This is the ****ing dumbest thread I've ever seen in my life.

If you're a black African reading books everyday then you're bound to be smarter than a white person who plays on the X-box everyday. Colour of your skin has nothing to do with it, it's the way you live.
Reply 58
Original post by Busby_Babe

That sentence about religion was relevant to this thread.

Jussayin'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending