The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fortysixandtwo
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

There will be changes for the new first years starting this academic year. Though, as far as I know, the content of first year won't really change that much, if at all. The structure of it will.

Is this change going forward ? Since some medical students have told me its a bit in the air at the moment.
Original post by deathcraze
sorry if i wasn't clear.. um say for a st andrews credit transfer student who is just newly joining year 3 clinicals in september this year, will the clinical course structure be the old or the new one for them?

I'm only going into second year next year so I'm really not sure, sorry.

Original post by G550NDH
Is this change going forward ? Since some medical students have told me its a bit in the air at the moment.

As far as I know, first year will definitely change in structure. Though as I said, I think it's just a re-jigging of the old block format rather than any change in course content.

I don't think anything major is in the works for the curriculum and, like any other medical school in the UK, the course is something that has evolved in the past and will continue to evolve into the future.
Hey guys :smile: I've firmed Glasgow!! BEYOND excited to get started!!! Who else has firmed? Shall we all have a meet up before we start? I've seen previous years doing that and I reckon that would be pretty cool :smile:
Original post by jcarberry1
Hey guys :smile: I've firmed Glasgow!! BEYOND excited to get started!!! Who else has firmed? Shall we all have a meet up before we start? I've seen previous years doing that and I reckon that would be pretty cool :smile:

Hi mate .. can you join the FB group ... we dont use the thread much now ... http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_152706194790047&ap=1

Iv firmed and sorted accom some time ago :smile: We met up on the applicants day in march ....
Reply 2124
Original post by G550NDH
Hi mate .. can you join the FB group ... we dont use the thread much now ... http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_152706194790047&ap=1

Iv firmed and sorted accom some time ago :smile: We met up on the applicants day in march ....

Aww... that's why this threads been empty - I'm off facebook for lent :frown: I'll see you all on fb on Easter!
Original post by Louise44
Aww... that's why this threads been empty - I'm off facebook for lent :frown: I'll see you all on fb on Easter!

yeahh sorry :frown: ohh gotcha ! ... Easter is just around the corner though :smile: cya there !
Reply 2126
Original post by G550NDH
yeahh sorry :frown: ohh gotcha ! ... Easter is just around the corner though :smile: cya there !

You should be sorry!!!! :P I have been forced to look at the health and relationships threads because of this :frown: It's madness on there!
Original post by Louise44
You should be sorry!!!! :P I have been forced to look at the health and relationships threads because of this :frown: It's madness on there!

hahah aww a newbie on TSR :smile: The H&R threads are hilarious... i just diss the **** out of the trolls ! the FB group is where its all at ... trust me :P
Original post by G550NDH

So I missed it? Darn. Oh well, I'll meet you guys there anyway in September!
Firmed Glasgow :smile: Banned from Facebook so I study :P
Original post by Sammi22
Firmed Glasgow :smile: Banned from Facebook so I study :P

was wondering why you did not reply in the chat lol. Ahh nice one ! :smile: Did you hear from KCL then ? also good luck for your exams
Original post by G550NDH
was wondering why you did not reply in the chat lol. Ahh nice one ! :smile: Did you hear from KCL then ? also good luck for your exams

Yup got rejected yesterday :frown: Thanks!
Reply 2132
Original post by deathcraze
will the curriculum changes affect a student starting year 3 this september 2011? :confused: or does it only start in 2012, meaning for that student, year 3 will be following old curriculum but years 4 and 5 will be following new curriculum? :s-smilie:

I am a first year at the moment ( hopefully will pass next week, bit doubtful!), the changes for year 1 start this coming september.

Year 2 stays the same.

Year 3 will be changing. There was more detail given to us in a lecture but I've forgotten exactly what will be entailed. Extraction from an email a few months ago though;
"3) This year's Year 2 will move to a substantially changed Year 3. We do not have the detail however, there will be no loss of content or experience. The GP attachment, communication and clinical skills will not change. The aims of the changes are to increase clinical exposure, the quality and rigor of clinical teaching, and to reinforce clinical sciences (e.g. pathology and pharmacology) by integrating some of the most popular SSCs into the course. We aim to ensure continuity of teaching and fully appreciate the amount of travelling that students currently undertake. From the mid-point of the year, when the final year students finish their teaching blocks, Year 3 students will move to five week clinical attachments (which will continue in 5 and 10 week blocks until they sit the Finals in Year 5). The four teaching blocks in Year 3 will no longer exist in their current form. "
Hi guys I've just started a new blog. Please send me any questions you have r.e. medicine at Glasgow and I will do my best to answer them :smile:
Hopefully this will result in a clear list of FAQs for prospective applicants/current students once I have your permission to put the Q and A on the blog.
If any current students are interested in collaborating with me (other year groups will have more to add I am sure) then please drop me an email as well!
p.s. just found out I've passed second year so I must be doing something right! Wahoo!! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by glasgowmedic
Hi guys I've just started a new blog. Please send me any questions you have r.e. medicine at Glasgow and I will do my best to answer them :smile:
Hopefully this will result in a clear list of FAQs for prospective applicants/current students once I have your permission to put the Q and A on the blog.
If any current students are interested in collaborating with me (other year groups will have more to add I am sure) then please drop me an email as well!
p.s. just found out I've passed second year so I must be doing something right! Wahoo!! :biggrin:

Congrats on passing your exams!
Original post by glasgowmedic

Link to the blog would be nice :smile:
Original post by davidjrodger

I agree
Original post by davidjrodger

Sorry guys I tried linking it here and it was blanked out. You can message me on here or the link to the blog should now be on my profile (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=819227) :smile:
Original post by Ayamma
Has every one got their packs for the occupational health stuff n others. I'm a little confused with the PVG one....the guidance notes given to me state that for section A select enhanced disclosure yet there isn't an enhanced disclosure box on the form.

I tried to call to find sort out the problem and was told I would be sent a new one but as of yet they haven't. So I thot i'd ask you guys. In section A1 type of application should I select: scheme membership statement, scheme record, scheme membership statement (counter signed). I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

scheme record.

hate to say but thought the pvg stuff had to be in for aug 1st or is that the occ health stuff?
Reply 2139
i hve till the 7th as they sent my stuff to me late.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending