The Student Room Group

AEA June 2011

So who's the paper this year? I've been doing a few papers myself, any tips for how to get the best sort of revision and progress done for this paper? I heard the grade boundaries for last year were also a lot higher than previous years, which makes me slightly worried :frown:

Also, does anyone have the mark scheme for June 2010? It's protected on the Edexcel website.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep, I'm doing it. Haven't even started prep yet though. :tongue:

I don't have the 2010 mark scheme, sorry. :frown:

But could you send me the paper, please. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ElMoro
Yep, I'm doing it. Haven't even started prep yet though. :tongue:

I don't have the 2010 mark scheme, sorry. :frown:

But could you send me the paper, please. :smile:

I only have a hard copy of the paper and no scanner, unfortunately.
I've finished C4 apart from vectors, so these vector questions are going to be really tough for me. I still can't do full questions without some form of help, but whenever I get stuck it's just a simple thing I've missed. I think I just need more practice, but it's still worrying when there isn't that long to go and I still can't fully do questions yet. Oh well, I managed an 11 marker today so I must be getting better.
Reply 3
do you know if we get UCAS points from sitting the AEA?
I dont need them... but it would be nice to know!
Reply 4
Original post by apraalii
do you know if we get UCAS points from sitting the AEA?
I dont need them... but it would be nice to know!

20 for merit. 40 for distinction.

Original post by Raimu
I only have a hard copy of the paper and no scanner, unfortunately.
I've finished C4 apart from vectors, so these vector questions are going to be really tough for me. I still can't do full questions without some form of help, but whenever I get stuck it's just a simple thing I've missed. I think I just need more practice, but it's still worrying when there isn't that long to go and I still can't fully do questions yet. Oh well, I managed an 11 marker today so I must be getting better.

I covered C4 back in Jan so I'm covered material wise I'm just being lazy and haven't started yet. :biggrin:
No worries about the paper but I would appreciate if you could take a photo or something. :smile:

Since, you've already started what would you say is the easiest paper? :wink2:
Reply 5
THANKYOU SO MUCH!
takes the pressure off of one of my subjects a bit :smile:

Ive already completed my Alevel with grade A (resitting the get the A*) and predicted an A for the Further Maths. So hopefull the AEA should be easy :smile:

Good luck to you all!
Reply 6
Original post by ElMoro
20 for merit. 40 for distinction.

I covered C4 back in Jan so I'm covered material wise I'm just being lazy and haven't started yet. :biggrin:
No worries about the paper but I would appreciate if you could take a photo or something. :smile:

Since, you've already started what would you say is the easiest paper? :wink2:

Oh haven't checked this in a while. If you still want the paper, I can try to upload it tomorrow.

I was feeling good about AEA yesterday when I could actually understand and do some of the questions quite well for 2003. I tried 2004 afterwards and just completely failed, could only do one question :frown:. Don't know how much more practice I'm going to need to be able to consistently be able to do these types of questions.
Reply 7
Original post by Raimu
Oh haven't checked this in a while. If you still want the paper, I can try to upload it tomorrow.

I was feeling good about AEA yesterday when I could actually understand and do some of the questions quite well for 2003. I tried 2004 afterwards and just completely failed, could only do one question :frown:. Don't know how much more practice I'm going to need to be able to consistently be able to do these types of questions.

Yeah, I would appreciate that thanks! :biggrin:

Have you gone through that booklet with old S-level questions, yet? It's good prep and means you can save the papers till your ready to do them in timed conditions. I've attached it for you. :wink2:
Reply 8
Original post by ElMoro

Have you gone through that booklet with old S-level questions, yet? It's good prep and means you can save the papers till your ready to do them in timed conditions. I've attached it for you. :wink2:

Oh thanks, you managed to do all of these by yourself? These look a lot tougher than standard AEA questions, which is good I guess. I'll probably need solutions to be able to do any of those :P

Anyway here is the paper, you might need to flip the pictures around but it's still all there. It is a lot easier from what I've done of it, but I probably shouldn't rely on that too much, seems like this paper isn't really the norm from the other types of papers over the years.

http://imgur.com/a/ZPVFy
Reply 9
Original post by Raimu
Oh thanks, you managed to do all of these by yourself? These look a lot tougher than standard AEA questions, which is good I guess. I'll probably need solutions to be able to do any of those :P

Anyway here is the paper, you might need to flip the pictures around but it's still all there. It is a lot easier from what I've done of it, but I probably shouldn't rely on that too much, seems like this paper isn't really the norm from the other types of papers over the years.

http://imgur.com/a/ZPVFy

Thanks for that mate! :biggrin:

I haven't done all of the questions yet only some. I really need to get off my lazy arse and do some prep for this. :colondollar:

If you need some help on them though just give me a shout. :wink2:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by ElMoro
Thanks for that mate! :biggrin:

I haven't done all of the questions yet only some. I really need to get off my lazy arse and do some prep for this. :colondollar:

If you need some help on them though just give me a shout. :wink2:

I've actually been doing some of the older papers, and a lot of questions are related tot he old AEA syllabus which incorporated the further maths course. Now it's just C1 - C4, which is from papers 2005 and onwards. Makes me feel a bit better since I found a lot of questions in 2004 really hard, and was stressing over nothing.Some parts are still relevant though, like the trig questions. Do you do further maths? I guess those questions would make sense to you if it were the case.
Reply 11
Im doing the AEA this year, haven't done any core revision yet though! Had my friend look at last years paper, and he reckons some of the stuff is done in the FP modules. Its supposed to be based on standard maths though isnt it? :/
Reply 12
Original post by Jack-
Im doing the AEA this year, haven't done any core revision yet though! Had my friend look at last years paper, and he reckons some of the stuff is done in the FP modules. Its supposed to be based on standard maths though isnt it? :/

2008-10 papers are all standard maths modules, and it's not that hard tbh. The papers before have a lot of FP material in them so they don't make for the best kind of practice.
Reply 13
Original post by ElMoro

Those questions look really good (number 15 is remarkably similar to an AEA question I remember doing). Do you happen to have the mark scheme or know where I could find it?
Reply 14
Original post by Hudzy
Those questions look really good (number 15 is remarkably similar to an AEA question I remember doing). Do you happen to have the mark scheme or know where I could find it?

Mark scheme for 1-7 is here. And solution thread for rest is here. :biggrin:

I've still not done a paper yet. Will need to do one this week... :ashamed2:
I looked through the 2010 paper. I thought the standard of the paper is no where easier than those from previous years! However, the mark allocation seems different.
Reply 16
Original post by ElMoro
Mark scheme for 1-7 is here. And solution thread for rest is here. :biggrin:

I've still not done a paper yet. Will need to do one this week... :ashamed2:

I tried that pack of questions, wasn't really able to attempt any. Just did the 2010 AEA paper and managed to get 59/100, which is 4 off a merit I think, so that pack of questions may not be the best form of preparation.
Those old S Paper questions are different from AEA in terms of the demands of algebraic manipulations required. But the styles of questions in both papers are similar.

I feel that these S paper questions still prepare you of what to expect, though you won't be expected to wade through a huge mess of algebraic calculations in AEA compared to these S paper questions.
Reply 18
Doing it, probably will fail, which doesn't matter because I don't need it, only doing it for "fun" as my teacher says!
Then again, maybe I won't fail. After all, I will be feeling fly because I'll be sat in seat G6 xD
Original post by Raimu
I've actually been doing some of the older papers, and a lot of questions are related tot he old AEA syllabus which incorporated the further maths course. Now it's just C1 - C4, which is from papers 2005 and onwards. Makes me feel a bit better since I found a lot of questions in 2004 really hard, and was stressing over nothing.Some parts are still relevant though, like the trig questions. Do you do further maths? I guess those questions would make sense to you if it were the case.

The first real AEA paper was in 2002. At that time it was based on P1-3, which is essentially the same as C1-4 but only cut into 3 modules. AEA was never based on FM material. Which questions do you think require FM?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending