The Student Room Group

It feels so good when I don't eat

Anon please or delete.

As the title says, I feel good when I don't eat. It's like a sense of achievement - I feel as if I've accomplished something which in turn makes me feel good and happy.

I don't eat breakfast and if I buy lunch (at school) I will buy a small bread roll. By small, I mean about the size of my fist. I'll look at the range of sandwiches (some of which are sooo yummy) but will always be drawn to the roll, due to its size. The small roll is all I need to fill me up (or at least, it's all I think I need) and it makes me feel good because I know that I'm not eating much.

It also makes me feel very happy when I don't eat lunch or breakfast at all - again, I feel as if I've really achieved something. But I'll only do this some days. If I have an important lesson or a practical in the afternoon I'll eat a bread roll since I know that I'll need food, but otherwise the happiness I get from not eating is enough to lure me away from the rational thoughts telling me that I need food.

I also have a problem eating in front of people - it makes me feel bad and slightly sick. Watching people eat also makes me feel slightly nauseous.

But the thing is, I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm 7 stone 4, ffs. I'm not skinny, but need to tone up rather than lose weight.

I think the reason that I do it is because I'm never happy - my family situation is really bad, and on top of that none of my friends care about me and I'm too frightened to talk to people. Limiting what I eat, for some reason, makes me feel happy and it is the happiness I crave. I already see a counsellor but we don't have enough time to talk about my other problems, let alone this. I just don't understand why not eating makes me happy

I'm getting worried. Can anyone help? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

No one here can help you.
Reply 2
i love not eating. but thats mainly because im anorexic.
This is similar to me atm. I basically stopped eating because I was having a mini meltdown. I'm feeling better but still incredibly anxious which has led to me finding it difficult to even finish a bowl of soup. Although I'm feeling anxious part of me is thrilled because the weight is dropping off me.

However, this isn't healthy. Food is there to fuel us, it isn't our enemy. I think you need to talk to someone who is more qualified than tsr.
Original post by Anonymous
Can anyone help? :s-smilie:

I heard about this amazing new profession. They study for years about different diseases and medical problems that humans may experience, some of them even study extra looking into problems that might affect a person's thought processes and how to solve these problems. I know it's a really long shot but maybe they could help?
Reply 5
I feel like that sometimes, particularly when I'm feeling down or stressed. I know that it's not healthy and completely unnecessary considering I'm already fairly slim. I suppose it gives me a weird sense of control. I can't influence the external things which are happening to me, but I can control what I eat. Not really sure if this helps.
Not as good as it feels when I polish off a whole Pepperoni Passion Dominos.
Then a tub of Cookie Dough ice cream.
Reply 7
Anon please or delete.

As the title says, I feel good when I don't eat. It's like a sense of achievement - I feel as if I've accomplished something which in turn makes me feel good and happy.

I don't eat breakfast and if I buy lunch (at school) I will buy a small bread roll. By small, I mean about the size of my fist. I'll look at the range of sandwiches (some of which are sooo yummy) but will always be drawn to the roll, due to its size. The small roll is all I need to fill me up (or at least, it's all I think I need) and it makes me feel good because I know that I'm not eating much.

It also makes me feel very happy when I don't eat lunch or breakfast at all - again, I feel as if I've really achieved something. But I'll only do this some days. If I have an important lesson or a practical in the afternoon I'll eat a bread roll since I know that I'll need food, but otherwise the happiness I get from not eating is enough to lure me away from the rational thoughts telling me that I need food.

I also have a problem eating in front of people - it makes me feel bad and slightly sick. Watching people eat also makes me feel slightly nauseous.

But the thing is, I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm 7 stone 4, ffs. I'm not skinny, but need to tone up rather than lose weight.

I think the reason that I do it is because I'm never happy - my family situation is really bad, and on top of that none of my friends care about me and I'm too frightened to talk to people. Limiting what I eat, for some reason, makes me feel happy and it is the happiness I crave. I already see a counsellor but we don't have enough time to talk about my other problems, let alone this. I just don't understand why not eating makes me happy

'Tis called anorexia. And probably not; most sufferers never truly recover, unfortunately.
Reply 8
Original post by Sabertooth
I heard about this amazing new profession. They study for years about different diseases and medical problems that humans may experience, some of them even study extra looking into problems that might affect a person's thought processes and how to solve these problems. I know it's a really long shot but maybe they could help?

If you mean seeing a gp, I've been seeing various counsellors for a few years now and have been shunted between the counsellors and the doctors, neither of whom have had any idea what to do with me. Thanks for your advice though.

Original post by Jack-
'Tis called anorexia. And probably not; most sufferers never truly recover, unfortunately.

Do you think so? I thought anorexia was when you try to lose weight? I'm not trying to lose weight as I know I'm a bit too light at the moment.
If you mean seeing a gp, I've been seeing various counsellors for a few years now and have been shunted between the counsellors and the doctors, neither of whom have had any idea what to do with me. Thanks for your advice though.

Doctors : : aren't helping you and so you think that a bunch of students with zero medical training will be able to instead? :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Sabertooth
Doctors can't help you and so you think that a bunch of students with zero medical training will be able to instead? :s-smilie:

I don't know. I had hoped that maybe someone would understand? Or perhaps felt the same way about eating?
I don't know. I had hoped that maybe someone would understand? Or perhaps felt the same way about eating?

That's different to helping you (or at least the way I read in the OP, maybe I read it wrong). Anyway, if your doctors are refusing to help, go see a different one, there are morons in all walks of life. Go tell them what you've said here and how it's making you feel and demand they help you.

That "fantastic" thing about the NHS is how they love refusing to help people. So go back and demand they do something. And keep trying until they do.

It doesn't sound like this is going to solve itself.
I understand, but i also understand that it's not a healthy way to feel about food, and can and will easily get out of hand and become very dangerous. Carry on with doctors/counselors

People often react harshly to situations like this, without any really sympathy for eating disorders like anorexia. :frown: I don't have it but I can give you a massive *HUG and promise you that you can sort it out, I know a girl in school who was once hospitalized for it but she's now fully recovered and gorgeous. You know that it's not going to do you good, so please nip this in the bud before it spirals out of control. Please! Not eating makes you feel happy because it gives you a sense of control-which is one of the most common reasons for people falling into eating disorders. It probably also makes you feel good because you say you don't feel happy at the moment, and so in a way it's like punishing yourself, like when I go through phases of depression I find it hard to eat because it feels completely pointless, when I feel emotionally dark of course I don't want to eat something yummy and tastey... Maybe you should take up something like music, writing or art (instead of not eating) as an outlet for your emotions? That'll give you a sense of control and make you feel better. Good luck. :h:
Reply 14
Do you think so? I thought anorexia was when you try to lose weight? I'm not trying to lose weight as I know I'm a bit too light at the moment.

It doesnt always have to revolve around losing weight. It is more of a control issue. Its quite frightening actually, quite a few people have explicitly expressed in this thread what can only be described as anorexic type behaviour.

When one feels they cannot control what is happening around them, for whatever reason, it is natural to seek something that can be controlled.

This is what then turns into anorexia; the person limits themselves to very little food, not necessarily to lose weight - but simply because they can. It is also the case that anorexics often get very good grades, because studying is something else that can be controlled.

So basically, stop starving yourself. It may make you happy, but this is just some ill perception, and if it continues it will ruin your life...

Get it sorted! Dont let it take a grip!
Anon please or delete.

Maybe it's a control mechanism. How about focusing on the disadvantages of not eating or thinking about the benefits of eating?
Anon please or delete.

you should always do whatever makes you feel food.

see if you still feel good when you collapse while walking outside due to hunger and is promptly struck by a moving vehicle.
Reply 17
firstly you have a problem. but it's not a healthy one because it's not as if you want to lose weight it's because you feel in control if you don't eat which i don't like. why do people feel the need to stop eating as it's the only way they're in control. seriously people get a grip of your lives you are in control

ok forget that. how can you ''feel;' great. eventually your body will fail. so you mean mentally and psychologically you feel good. but man please eat at least a bit.

tl'dr though so i might read your whole op now..
Reply 18
Original post by lechaton-x
Not as good as it feels when I polish off a whole Pepperoni Passion Dominos.
Then a tub of Cookie Dough ice cream.

reppd. but damn you i need to lose weight.
"man [nor woman] can't just live on bread [rolls]" (I don't know). If you wan't to tone up give your body something it can work with. have a balanced diet and I assure you that you will feel exponentially better.

Latest

Trending

Trending