The Student Room Group

English Lit Or Geography

No idea which one to choose, I put Geography down in the form - thinking of changing to Eng Lit (OCR) in Eng lit do you just anaylse poems like in Eng Lit GCSE?

Any thoughts on both subjects would be great
Reply 1
Both are both respected and traditional subjects so any would be brilliant.

They both require a high level of writing, analysing and reading skills.

Geography - just the study of the environment and how it affects us. No coursework, just exams.

Eng Lit - poems, essays, coursework, long exams e.t.c.

I'm sure you know some basic stuff about both subjects already so you should know which one will suit you more.
Reply 2
Original post by manutd27
No idea which one to choose, I put Geography down in the form - thinking of changing to Eng Lit (OCR) in Eng lit do you just anaylse poems like in Eng Lit GCSE?

Any thoughts on both subjects would be great

Both are decent subjects. It really depends on you, and what you want to do later on in life.

If you consider yourself more creative, critically minded and able to articulate your thoughts into essay-style writing, go for English. The study of English encompasses a lot more than just literature. Sure, you'll analyse poetry, prose, and drama, but you'll study them in context - that is, in light of the times they were written in. Be prepared to do some research on history, politics. Also, you'll be looking at them in some depth. It won't be like GCSE.

Geography is a bit more scientific, so if you're that way inclined, it might be better. There is usually a big jump between AS and A2 work... it gets a lot tougher in the 2nd year. A lot of people like how broad the courses tend to be, and it's true, you'll learn a great deal. There is a lot to learn though, so you need concentration, and the willingness to study independently out of lessons.

One last thing - try to choose the subject that would "go" with your other A-level choices. I don't know if you plan to apply to uni or not, but either way, having incoherent A-level choices isn't a good thing.
Reply 3
Sorry for the misunderstanding it is for AS not A2.

Anyway I plan to do Econ, Computing, Maths and Geo/Eng Lit for AS :smile:

Plan to apply for business or finance (if unis offer that?) at uni
Original post by foolishh
Both are decent subjects. It really depends on you, and what you want to do later on in life.

If you consider yourself more creative, critically minded and able to articulate your thoughts into essay-style writing, go for English. The study of English encompasses a lot more than just literature. Sure, you'll analyse poetry, prose, and drama, but you'll study them in context - that is, in light of the times they were written in. Be prepared to do some research on history, politics. Also, you'll be looking at them in some depth. It won't be like GCSE.

Geography is a bit more scientific, so if you're that way inclined, it might be better. There is usually a big jump between AS and A2 work... it gets a lot tougher in the 2nd year. A lot of people like how broad the courses tend to be, and it's true, you'll learn a great deal. There is a lot to learn though, so you need concentration, and the willingness to study independently out of lessons.

One last thing - try to choose the subject that would "go" with your other A-level choices. I don't know if you plan to apply to uni or not, but either way, having incoherent A-level choices isn't a good thing.

Original post by *Hakz*

Geography - just the study of the environment and how it affects us. No coursework, just exams.

I'm sure you know some basic stuff about both subjects already so you should know which one will suit you more.
Reply 4
If you're planning on dropping it after the first year, I would suggest English because it's considered a more "academic" subject. But like I said, it's up to you, it's about what you think you would be best at, but more importantly, what you enjoy.
Reply 5
Economics, Computing, Maths and Lit/Geo are fantastic sets of A'levels for any degree except for the more scientific courses. In terms of applying to do a business or finance degree at university, then these subjects are more than perfect to secure you a place at a top institution providing you do achieve at least 3As at A2 and maybe an A or B at AS if you do decide to drop one of those subjects in order to concentrate on the 3 you enjoy most.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks for the insightful answers :smile:

Do you know if GCSEs matter to Unis? Do they look closely at them and to they like have a cut off mark off not accepting someone if they do not have X number of A*s etc

Original post by *Hakz*
Economics, Computing, Maths and Lit/Geo are fantastic sets of A'levels for any degree except for the more scientific courses. In terms applying to do a business or finance degree at university, then these subjects are more than perfect to secure you a place at a top institution providing you do achieve at least 3As at A2 and maybe an A or B at AS if you do decide to drop one of those subjects in order to concentrate on the 3 you enjoy most.

If you're planning on dropping it after the first year, I would suggest English because it's considered a more "academic" subject. But like I said, it's up to you, it's about what you think you would be best at, but more importantly, what you enjoy.

Original post by *Hakz*

Reply 7
Last year, I had this same problem. I chose Geography. I regret that choice.

Quick Reply

Latest