The Student Room Group

Writing uncertainties in a CV?

Hi I'm trying to organise my life, thinking about internships, insight days, careers and the like. Here's the dilemma:

Currently in the second year of a 4-year Physics course. At the moment I want to switch to a 3 year course. BUT I think that I want to do a graduate diploma in Economics in place of the 4th year, the time to apply for these is around the time I'd apply for Summer internships for next year (Octoberish onwards).

Problem is do I say I'm doing a 4 year course, then state my intent on pursuing a graduate diploma? I haven't secured a place on one yet and I haven't officially switched to a 3 year course. I don't say I'm doing a 3 year course until I officially change but that seems slightly misleading, right?

I hope I'm right in saying it would still be appropriate to apply for Summer internships if I do switch to a graduate diploma for my 4th year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. So much respect for you guys who reply to these threads
Reply 1
Well, it's a bit late to be applying to summer internships for this summer (if you haven't already), and most internships are for second years. So, say you're doing the four year course, apply next year; if you get a an internship and a job offer off that, tell them you're changing to a third year; if not, then no one needs to know.

Keep things simple: no one is going to think you deceived on such a small thing.
Reply 2
Original post by Brevity
Well, it's a bit late to be applying to summer internships for this summer (if you haven't already), and most internships are for second years. So, say you're doing the four year course, apply next year; if you get a an internship and a job offer off that, tell them you're changing to a third year; if not, then no one needs to know.

Keep things simple: no one is going to think you deceived on such a small thing.

I'd be applying for internships next summer, as in applying between October and December this year to try and secure a place for 2012 :smile:

So a graduate diploma would take 1 year and would replace my 4th year in Physics and you're saying that I should pretend that I'm doing the 4 years in Physics anyway, then tell them when I do change.

I was also wondering if it would sound more impressive if I told them about the diploma when they were viewing my application as I'm going for a consultancy/asset management placement.

Cheers for the feedback!
You never put future events in a CV. A CV is about things you have done. If you are currently signed up to do a 4 year degree, put the 4 year degree down. If/when you change, change your CV.
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
You never put future events in a CV. A CV is about things you have done. If you are currently signed up to do a 4 year degree, put the 4 year degree down. If/when you change, change your CV.

So don't even tell them about my intentions in the couple of lines before the bulk of the CV?
Original post by ennC
So don't even tell them about my intentions in the couple of lines before the bulk of the CV?

No, there shouldn't be a 'couple of lines before the bulk of the CV'. You are invited to interview on the basis of the skills you have got, not the ambitions, plans or dreams because they are undistinguishable at this stage. They might be conversation pieces at interview, but they are not CV material.
You never put future events in a CV.

I'm not sure that's always true. I've got future events on my current CV, and it seems to be quite successful. I've also got my intentions (which I've called "Career Objectives") before the bulk of my CV (i.e. the work experience and skills I've got). I probably wouldn't put down the intention to go a graduate diploma if I was only half way through a degree but at the same time I wouldn't say that the above quote is a rule.
Reply 7
Original post by Smack
I'm not sure that's always true. I've got future events on my current CV, and it seems to be quite successful. I've also got my intentions (which I've called "Career Objectives") before the bulk of my CV (i.e. the work experience and skills I've got). I probably wouldn't put down the intention to go a graduate diploma if I was only half way through a degree but at the same time I wouldn't say that the above quote is a rule.

Maybe it just depends on the CV. I've now deleted my ambitions paragraph before the rest of my CV because I'd like to keep my CV as short as possible and that kind of thing can be included in cover letters.

So would I not include my intentions, graduate diploma-wise, because 1) I may fail at obtaining a place, so it may not even happen and/or 2) because it shows that I'm not committed to the degree that I am already half way through?

Bit dubious about 2) actually...
Original post by ennC
Maybe it just depends on the CV. I've now deleted my ambitions paragraph before the rest of my CV because I'd like to keep my CV as short as possible and that kind of thing can be included in cover letters.

So would I not include my intentions, graduate diploma-wise, because 1) I may fail at obtaining a place, so it may not even happen and/or 2) because it shows that I'm not committed to the degree that I am already half way through?

Bit dubious about 2) actually...

You don't put it in because you haven't done it, and so it does not demonstrate a relevant skill or a qualification which is what the employer is interested in. Think about it for a moment. Do you really think that you putting in 'I am considering taking.....' or 'I might apply for......' or 'I am hoping to get a place on .......' is really going to be something that makes them think - 'Ah, we want to see more of this applicant'. Of course to won't, it just clutters up the CV or covering letter and obscures what they want to see, which is evidence of relevant skills.

If employers took any notice of speculative future plans, then people's CVs would be endless dream sheets of perhaps, maybes and mights that they had no intention of doing, but would get them to interview.

The supposed 'evidence' from those who have got to interview which future events on their CV should be treated as the good fortune, rather than meaningful advice, that it was.
The supposed 'evidence' from those who have got to interview which future events on their CV should be treated as the good fortune, rather than meaningful advice, that it was.

If you're referring to me, I didn't get an interview, they just offered me a job straight away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending