The Student Room Group

Bit worried about my brother - is this normal?

Scroll to see replies

He is an inspiration, we should make a statue of this impeccable human being.
My brother is exactly like that too, he works day and night at his university's library, even on weekends and during holidays. But her will get far in life with that work ethic...I could never work that hard!
Reply 22
Original post by insignificant
I can't even believe what some people are responding with. It is NOT healthy to constantly work 24/7 it does not do your health any good at all. He needs to have breaks every so often, spend time with his family and friends, get fresh air!

I know. I was surprised too!
Original post by df232
I know. I was surprised too!

Do your parents make him do any chores? When I'm home I have to still help out so perhaps he could take the dog for a walk if you have one, or do some garden work or run some errands or something ...
Reply 24
If you want decent grades you have to put the work in, obviously you're not at a level where you need to even think about putting that amount of work in, or if you are, but you're not doing so, you my dear are likely to fail.
Reply 25
Original post by Nix-j-c
If you want decent grades you have to put the work in, obviously you're not at a level where you need to even think about putting that amount of work in, or if you are, but you're not doing so, you my dear are likely to fail.

No i'm not at that level. And if everyone really does that much work at that level, then i don't want to be!
Reply 26
Original post by df232
No i'm not at that level. And if everyone really does that much work at that level, then i don't want to be!

Yes, well. It's like this: If you love your subject of study, then you gladly put in the amount of work that's required to excel. It's actually no longer "work", if you like it. It's fun. Pure fun.

Also, you have to sacrifice things to get other things done. Because to get things done, you have to do them. And that takes time. Time you cannot spend with other things, because that takes away your focus, and your energy dissipates.

For a driven university student the first and foremost thing to sacrifice is a private life. If you have friends, family or even a romantic partner who just distract you (because they are incapable of understanding the dynamics of a successful academic career) then there's no other way than to reduce the amount of contact that you have with them. Sounds harsh, but it is a necessity. Otherwise you again just defocus and dissipate energy that you need elsewhere.

Also, you said that he goes to the gym and is otherwise physically active. I see no problems whatsoever.

-------------------------------

LOL @ 2 negs.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Anquietas
Yes, well. It's like this: If you love your subject of study, then you gladly put in the amount of work that's required to excel. It's actually no longer "work", if you like it. It's fun. Pure fun.

Also, you have to sacrifice things to get other things done. Because to get things done, you have to do them. And that takes time. Time you cannot spend with other things, because that takes away your focus, and your energy dissipates.

For a driven university student the first and foremost thing to sacrifice is a private life. If you have friends, family or even a romantic partner who just distract you (because they are incapable of understanding the dynamics of a successful academic career) then there's no other way than to reduce the amount of contact that you have with them. Sounds harsh, but it is a necessity. Otherwise you again just defocus and dissipate energy that you need elsewhere.

Also, you said that he goes to the gym and is otherwise physically active. I see no problems whatsoever.

touche
Original post by df232
That is a bit unfair but I am sure he will.

:rolleyes: How is it unfair? He's got a grad scheme lined up, he knows he's at a good uni, and he's ensuring that he knows enough to do well rather than going, '**** it I'm going out' when clearly he needs to get on with his work.

Yes, I agree, he needs breaks every so often, but it's not unhealthy to focus on your education when you're at the peak. In fact if you weren't focusing on your education at that point then if I were an employer then I'd be really reluctant to hire you.
Reply 29
Original post by wanderlust.xx
:rolleyes: How is it unfair? He's got a grad scheme lined up, he knows he's at a good uni, and he's ensuring that he knows enough to do well rather than going, '**** it I'm going out' when clearly he needs to get on with his work.

Yes, I agree, he needs breaks every so often, but it's not unhealthy to focus on your education when you're at the peak. In fact if you weren't focusing on your education at that point then if I were an employer then I'd be really reluctant to hire you.

When i said "that is a bit unfair", I was referring to a comment that said "he will probably get further in life than you... "

The likelihood is that he probably will. But i think it is a bit unfair for someone to say the above without knowing me. I am also surprised that about 20 people have "repped" it!
I don't do as well academically but I do have a job and do work hard.

I was just a bit worried that he was doing far too much work and might be doing damage to himself.
Reply 30
Original post by MutantGecko
he will probably get further in life than you...

24 likes and 1 dislike for this comment! I don't think this forum is for people like me...
Reply 31
He's right though, isn't he?
Reply 32
Original post by MutantGecko
he will probably get further in life than you...

What does further in life mean? 5 miles/10miles and where to?
What a dork, I didn't do a scrap of work at uni and still swaggered out of there with a first.
If you think this isn't normal...well...enjoy living in your box while he's laughing at you from his 16 bedroom mansion. :-)
Original post by snowpatrolchlo
If you think this isn't normal...well...enjoy living in your box while he's laughing at you from his 16 bedroom mansion. :-)

Well that (unrealistic) predicted future scenario just confirms that it is not normal, since living in a 16-bedroom mansion is certainly not normal.

Not that that has any connection to his current approach to uni work, though.
Reply 36
Original post by kopite493
yes because having no time for friends is a great way to live your life....

im not saying he shouldnt work but by the sound of things he's doing to much work

he needs to get out and have a drink and a relax for a day..

I can't even believe what some people are responding with. It is NOT healthy to constantly work 24/7 it does not do your health any good at all. He needs to have breaks every so often, spend time with his family and friends, get fresh air!

Don't you think you're overreacting slightly? It's just for a couple of months - he'll soon be done and then he can spend as much time relaxing with his friends and family as he likes. A couple of months of sacrifice isn't ridiculous when you bear in mind that the grade you get in your degree will have a significant effect on the rest of your life.
Original post by Fysidiko
Don't you think you're overreacting slightly? It's just for a couple of months - he'll soon be done and then he can spend as much time relaxing with his friends and family as he likes. A couple of months of sacrifice isn't ridiculous when you bear in mind that the grade you get in your degree will have a significant effect on the rest of your life.

No I don't think I'm Overreacting at all because I think that your own mental health is far more important than any degree. You need to have fun and rest and recuperation for your mind to be healthy and working well, it's not right to be cooped up staring at books and computer screens all day. You need a balance all the time, it's not healthy to go from one extreme to another, when I was seeing a counsellor she said burnt out students are becoming more and more common and the effort that they have to go to to get back on track is unbelievable. It's better to have a healthy life.
Reply 38
No I don't think I'm Overreacting at all because I think that your own mental health is far more important than any degree. You need to have fun and rest and recuperation for your mind to be healthy and working well, it's not right to be cooped up staring at books and computer screens all day. You need a balance all the time, it's not healthy to go from one extreme to another, when I was seeing a counsellor she said burnt out students are becoming more and more common and the effort that they have to go to to get back on track is unbelievable. It's better to have a healthy life.

This still seems rather extreme to me. I'm not a doctor but surely there's a big gap between working all day and necessarily suffering psychiatric harm? I know I'm not the only person (or even the only person in my house) who spent final year working all day almost every day, and there are plenty of careers where people work 60 hours or more each week for years. It's one thing saying that people should know their limits - and that seems eminently sensible - but it's quite another to say that working all day is necessarily harmful, especially since there's nothing in the original post to suggest that he doesn't take a day or two off each week.
It's probably important to work hard now and get a good career, if that's all that motivates you to stay alive - heck, it's what I am doing right now, same degree as your bro - and it's bloody hard work!

However, I definitely don't think it is healthy to do that all the time; maybe around exam time it's fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending