The Student Room Group

Dating a Catholic???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i have a feeling that you are massively over thinking this
You're a moron.
:P Not all Catholics are the Pope. Sex before marriage is a no but not every Catholic is intent on getting married straight away. I know plenty of Catholics who are not intent on getting hitched!
I hate the way you type your threads :colonhash:
Get a grip.
You sound like the kind of approach to those of a different church or another faith that is about 40 years out of date. Catholics have services that are not in Latin, the C of E has women vicars and there are female rabbis. We have decimal currency and don't have free school milk until the age of 11 any more.

Mary Whitehouse would be a modern woman compared to you were she alive today.
Reply 26
Original post by limetang
Troll. Partly because you're talking about catholics in the third person when you claim to be one. Doesn't make all that much sense.

Although essentially everything you've said is so inconsistant. As surely if you were a catholic, even an 'open minded' one the prospect of dating another catholic should not be that daunting.

So yeh you arent getting a serious response to this 'dilema' from me.

yes but IM normal. this guy is an extreme catholic. like the Opus Dei types in Da Vinci Code

Original post by Seble
your completely overreacting there. No Catholics don't havvee to have kids. Just ask him about his views, once you get to know him better. I'm sure they're quite subjective from person to person.

btw: if you really want more responses, you should head over to the catholic forum.

Catholics DO have to want kids if they are to be married. And since sex outside of marriage isnt allowed, there isnt any point in dating for a long time unmarried. They cannot use artificial contraception. It is different if the couple is naturally infertile, but fertile couples must want to have children

Here is a quote from the Catechism of the catholic church:

1601 "The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament."84
1604 God who created man out of love also calls him to love the fundamental and innate vocation of every human being. For man is created in the image and likeness of God who is himself love.90 Since God created him man and woman, their mutual love becomes an image of the absolute and unfailing love with which God loves man. It is good, very good, in the Creator's eyes. And this love which God blesses is intended to be fruitful and to be realized in the common work of watching over creation: "And God blessed them, and God said to them: 'Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it.'"91

* The openness to fertility

1652 "By its very nature the institution of marriage and married love is ordered to the procreation and education of the offspring and it is in them that it finds its crowning glory."162

Children are the supreme gift of marriage and contribute greatly to the good of the parents themselves. God himself said: "It is not good that man should be alone," and "from the beginning [he] made them male and female"; wishing to associate them in a special way in his own creative work, God blessed man and woman with the words: "Be fruitful and multiply." Hence, true married love and the whole structure of family life which results from it, without diminishment of the other ends of marriage, are directed to disposing the spouses to cooperate valiantly with the love of the Creator and Savior, who through them will increase and enrich his family from day to day.163
1653 The fruitfulness of conjugal love extends to the fruits of the moral, spiritual, and supernatural life that parents hand on to their children by education. Parents are the principal and first educators of their children.164 In this sense the fundamental task of marriage and family is to be at the service of life.165

1654 Spouses to whom God has not granted children can nevertheless have a conjugal life full of meaning, in both human and Christian terms. Their marriage can radiate a fruitfulness of charity, of hospitality, and of sacrifice.
1664 Unity, indissolubility, and openness to fertility are essential to marriage. Polygamy is incompatible with the unity of marriage; divorce separates what God has joined together; the refusal of fertility turns married life away from its "supreme gift," the child (GS 50 § 1).

for those of you saying "treat him as normal" and "im a cathlic but i have sex outside marriage", there is a distinction between non practicing and practicing catholics. i would agree that dating a non catholic and dating a non practicing catholic is the same.

but dating a practicing catholic is very different, because of the requirements of the religion. basically:

- dating catholics cannot have sex or intimacy or living together. instead they should court each other with a view to getting married
- one is either called to the single or married life. if you are to be married you must want and try to have kids, raise your kids catholic, not use contraception.
- if you are single, you must remain celibate
- if you are divorced, divorce is not recognised in the CC therefore you can never remarry. only the first valid marriage will be recognised. if you remarry you cannot partake in communion as you are seen as cohabiting adulterously.
- before you marry most churches make you do the marriage prep course with is 6 - 8 months about the sacramet f marriage.

so yeah. dating a practicing catholic is very different, there arent many of them and i wondered if anyone had. since intimacy isnt allowed, what do you do when you date? must you pray together alot or what?

if you dont know then dont post!
Reply 27
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
:P Not all Catholics are the Pope. Sex before marriage is a no but not every Catholic is intent on getting married straight away. I know plenty of Catholics who are not intent on getting hitched!

if you read my OP, this guys is a practicing catholic.

as for your catholic friends with no intent of getting married, are they going to stay celibate forever as is required by the faith of single perople? didnt think so , so they arent practicing catholics.

Original post by barnetlad
You sound like the kind of approach to those of a different church or another faith that is about 40 years out of date. Catholics have services that are not in Latin, the C of E has women vicars and there are female rabbis. We have decimal currency and don't have free school milk until the age of 11 any more.

the guy im dating only attends the traditional orthodox catholic Mass which is in Latin only and is a devout catholic.
it isnt relavent to mention CofE which is a total mess, nor jewish rabbis. the CC doesnt have women priests, married priests nor is it headed up by remarried/divorced/adulterous monarchy.
Original post by shinytoy
if you read my OP, this guys is a practicing catholic.

as for your catholic friends with no intent of getting married, are they going to stay celibate forever as is required by the faith of single perople? didnt think so , so they arent practicing catholics.

the guy im dating only attends the traditional orthodox catholic Mass which is in Latin only and is a devout catholic.
it isnt relavent to mention CofE which is a total mess, nor jewish rabbis. the CC doesnt have women priests, married priests nor is it headed up by remarried/divorced/adulterous monarchy.

Well if he's that devout surely he wouldn't be going out with you since st paul said it's better to remain single and celibate. Forever? My point was the I have Catholic friends who've had boyfriends but didn't start going out with them for the purpose of getting married.
Reply 29
Sucks to be you.
Just because he wants to date you doesn't mean he wants to marry you.

Also Catholics don't have to want children if they are married but they are not supposed to have sex if it's not for the purpose of having children because every sperm is a possible child that you are wating or something like that.

If he's so extreme and you're so worried about it, why would you even agree to date him?
hahahha.
You are massively over reacting and generalizing here.
You need to ask him about his views, there are varying degrees of Catholic.
Personally, i have sex before marriage, don't hate gays and use contraception...
whereas some catholic friends don't hold the same views as me.
it depends on your up bringing and outlook on life as well.

also how are you scared of dating a catholic when you claim to be catholic yourself?
also how are people in your family divorced when you claim to be catholic?
seen the word 'catholic' so many times it no longer makes sense :frown:
Reply 34
Original post by q1w2e3r4t5y6

Read her first post - her family aren't catholic.

However, I do massively dislike the overuse of the word "dude" and think that you should stop overthinking and worrying if he wants to marry you right away, just go on a date and get to know him.
Reply 35

so yeah. dating a practicing catholic is very different, there arent many of them and i wondered if anyone had. since intimacy isnt allowed, what do you do when you date? must you pray together alot or what?

if you dont know then dont post!

Start dating without worrying about marriage. If you're right for each other, then it'll happen. If not, you might have a new friend. Either way, you need to get to know him first.

And you don't have to want children from a marriage, you just can't use artificial contraception to prevent it. Things like the rhythm method are allowed.
Reply 36
Wait, I thought YOU are a Catholic too? Who won't have sex before marriage?
Reply 37
Original post by IPlayThePiccolo
Well if he's that devout surely he wouldn't be going out with you since st paul said it's better to remain single and celibate. Forever? My point was the I have Catholic friends who've had boyfriends but didn't start going out with them for the purpose of getting married.

by devout i mean, he is trying to live his life in accordance with the catholic faith. therefore although St paul said it is better to be single, he said beign married was also good.

Original post by Kitty Pryde
Just because he wants to date you doesn't mean he wants to marry you.

Also Catholics don't have to want children if they are married but they are not supposed to have sex if it's not for the purpose of having children because every sperm is a possible child that you are wating or something like that.

clearly you didnt read my post directly above yours:

Catholics DO have to want kids if they are to be married. And since sex outside of marriage isnt allowed, there isnt any point in dating for a long time unmarried. They cannot use artificial contraception. It is different if the couple is naturally infertile, but fertile couples must want to have children

Here is a quote from the Catechism of the catholic church:

1601 "The matrimonial covenant, by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life, is by its nature ordered toward the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring; this covenant between baptized persons has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament."84
1604 God who created man out of love also calls him to love the fundamental and innate vocation of every human being. For man is created in the image and likeness of God who is himself love.90 Since God created him man and woman, their mutual love becomes an image of the absolute and unfailing love with which God loves man. It is good, very good, in the Creator's eyes. And this love which God blesses is intended to be fruitful and to be realized in the common work of watching over creation: "And God blessed them, and God said to them: 'Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it.'"91

* The openness to fertility

1652 "By its very nature the institution of marriage and married love is ordered to the procreation and education of the offspring and it is in them that it finds its crowning glory."162

Children are the supreme gift of marriage and contribute greatly to the good of the parents themselves. God himself said: "It is not good that man should be alone," and "from the beginning [he] made them male and female"; wishing to associate them in a special way in his own creative work, God blessed man and woman with the words: "Be fruitful and multiply." Hence, true married love and the whole structure of family life which results from it, without diminishment of the other ends of marriage, are directed to disposing the spouses to cooperate valiantly with the love of the Creator and Savior, who through them will increase and enrich his family from day to day.163
1653 The fruitfulness of conjugal love extends to the fruits of the moral, spiritual, and supernatural life that parents hand on to their children by education. Parents are the principal and first educators of their children.164 In this sense the fundamental task of marriage and family is to be at the service of life.165

1654 Spouses to whom God has not granted children can nevertheless have a conjugal life full of meaning, in both human and Christian terms. Their marriage can radiate a fruitfulness of charity, of hospitality, and of sacrifice.
1664 Unity, indissolubility, and openness to fertility are essential to marriage. Polygamy is incompatible with the unity of marriage; divorce separates what God has joined together; the refusal of fertility turns married life away from its "supreme gift," the child (GS 50 § 1).

hahahha.
You are massively over reacting and generalizing here.
You need to ask him about his views, there are varying degrees of Catholic.
Personally, i have sex before marriage, don't hate gays and use contraception...
whereas some catholic friends don't hold the same views as me.
it depends on your up bringing and outlook on life as well.

also how are you scared of dating a catholic when you claim to be catholic yourself?

did you read my OP - he is majorly devout. and im sure you know, your views on contraception, sex and presumably homosexuality (we arent called to hate them but are called to try to show them the straight path) and cohabitation are not in accordance with the church teaching. i would advise confession.

i am the only one who is confirmed as catholic as i turned to the Lord by myself many years ago.

my parents and sibleings are not practicing catholics, they are heathens unfortunately. but i am working on turning their path straight, and my three sisters are currently on the RCIA (catholic conversion). i do pity my unequally yoked siblings and pray they will upturn their face to the Lord so that His mighty Light will shine upon them.
are you American by any chance?
because catholics aren't usually so evangelical.
you strike me as more of a 'christian' or baptist.

and yes, i regularly go to confession but i also know that the only one who can judge me for my sins against the catholic church is God... people can think less of me for having sex before marriage or my other beliefs that do not comply with my religion but no man should judge another- thats for God to decide if the way i lead my life is good or bad.

also you sound pretty devout yourself-- so why not just go on a few dates with this guy,you sound like you both have similar views...
Reply 39
Original post by Helenia

However, I do massively dislike the overuse of the word "dude" and think that you should stop overthinking and worrying if he wants to marry you right away, just go on a date and get to know him.

i have replaced 'dude' with 'fellow' in my OP. you are probably right. but for future reference i wasnt sure, how to date one. liek what do you DO when dating catholics since you cant kiss them or anything. do you have to go church together?

Original post by ily_em
Wait, I thought YOU are a Catholic too? Who won't have sex before marriage?

i am very devoutly so. i very much love the Lord! but i have never dated any catholics nor even met any proper ones before so i am not sure what it means or what to do. i usually date normal rudeboys, married millionaires (they pretend to be single) or non religious cute guys. so i am not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending