The Student Room Group

Is law boring?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
as soon as my roomate gets in from her lectures, she says "right gotta get down to work", soon as he opens her book on corporate law, her head goes back on the chair, her tongue is stuck out dribbling and her eyes are closed.
Original post by Hannahm6
Hi
I'm currently in AS year and want to study law at uni, but when I tell people, the common responses are 'law is really boring', 'its way more work than other degrees', 'less of a social life'. I realise that obviously with social life uni is how you make it, but in terms of amount of work you have to do compared to other courses is law much more? And do you find it very boring?
Thanks!

It is up to you.

I can talk personally. I hate law, it is boring, it is too much work. Money- meh. Although, I am doing well in it. The only reason I am doing it is to make my family happy.
Reply 22
Im first year Law and my general experience is that you put in exactly as much as you want to work wise. If you want to get a good degree and by proxy, a good job at the end of it all, then you work hard. If that bothers you less, then you dont do all the work. I for example have done work experience, mooting etc etc.

Social life wise, there have been a few times when i simply havent had the time or the energy to go out with friends, though it rarely happens. As a first year I would probably say i do have more work that i need to do compared with other courses.

Hope this is some help...
I'm doing the GDL and it is REALLY DULL. LLBs with their academic focus may be more interesting.
I think law is amazing, I've enjoyed everything I've studied - I wouldn't have done any other subject.
Do Economics!
Reply 26
Original post by userna-me*
Do Economics!

other than the fact that I dislike maths and don't take maths for A level, that sounds a great idea :P
Reply 27
Original post by The West Wing
I think law is amazing, I've enjoyed everything I've studied - I wouldn't have done any other subject.

I agree that law is amazing--though that said, I did (and have a degree in) another subject first.
Reply 28
It depends I had two interviews this year that I had to prepare for (I applied for Law) and reading around the subject( newspapers, blogs, generals, read about 6 books) I found it soooo interesting

I know that in some parts I will find it boring but I think that is the same in all subjects

Read 'What about Law' and if you are into philosophy and the meaning of Law read 'The Concept of Law' by Hart

If you dont find these interesting dont do Law haha
Reply 29
Original post by anoushka1
It depends I had two interviews this year that I had to prepare for (I applied for Law) and reading around the subject( newspapers, blogs, generals, read about 6 books) I found it soooo interesting

I know that in some parts I will find it boring but I think that is the same in all subjects

Read 'What about Law' and if you are into philosophy and the meaning of Law read 'The Concept of Law' by Hart

If you dont find these interesting dont do Law haha

What About Law is a good one--not sure I'd recommend Hart to anyone who hadn't already studied law or philosophy, though!
Reply 30
Original post by jjarvis
What About Law is a good one--not sure I'd recommend Hart to anyone who hadn't already studied law or philosophy, though!

Yeah I was just thinking that , it took me so long to read it and understand it but once I did I really enjoyed it and I used parts of it in my interview :wink:

Maybe 'An introduction to the Philosophy of Law' that was also good

Can i ask how you are finding Law at Cambridge? Grades permitting I should be studying at Selwyn next year
(edited 13 years ago)
Legally Blonde makes law look like great fun. :'D
Wait someone just said that you don't have to do an undergrad degree in law to be a lawyer/barrister, is this true?
Reply 33
Original post by sophieelis
Wait someone just said that you don't have to do an undergrad degree in law to be a lawyer/barrister, is this true?

Yes.
Reply 34
It's just hard. But no, it's not boring. : )
Original post by jjarvis
Yes.

how?
Reply 36
Original post by sophieelis
how?

A GDL course.
Reply 37
Let me put my view of it across.

Law isn't boring!

Its not a stagnant subject it is continually changing, every single year something will change, (be that through a case or an act) its alive. To me that's fascinating. When you consider how old the idea of law is, how its almost certainly been the making of every civilization in the world, how its still changing even now and how it all (for the most part) works, I couldn't possibly find it boring. Add in the inevitable many many debate points that the law brings up to discuss with your fellows and it makes it a very interesting subject to do indeed.
I'm in my final year...i find about 20% of my overall course interesting, what i enjoy most is my open unit (which is japanese). The rest is difficult and boring. But that's just me. However, I've got a friend who's as passionate about the subject as any, she still finds time to read beyond the prescribed reading and it constantly interests her.

There will be a time in every law student's life that you'd say "I hate this course, why am i doing this?" but like/dislike is a matter of personal taste. It's not just law, it applies to every course. But the thing with law is, it's so difficult and taxing that if you do end up not liking it, it makes it worse than other subject.

you may find this enlightening http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article2045254.ece
Original post by The_Male_Melons
It is up to you.

I can talk personally. I hate law, it is boring, it is too much work. Money- meh. Although, I am doing well in it. The only reason I am doing it is to make my family happy.

what this person said.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending