The Student Room Group

Job propects in Oxbridge?

So, I heard that Oxbridge students have trouble finding the time for jobs when they're at university, presumably due to the amount of work they have, and so on. This might be a menial thread but is this actually true? if so, how do you pay your way through uni/how are you planning to with the rising fees and all that?

Scroll to see replies

they're not really allowed to get jobs during term.
Original post by loopy786
According to the league tables, Oxbridge students have a high rate of employment.. I'm a prospective applicant so I don't actually know anything :P Just looked at league tables :smile:

OP is talking about getting a job during your time there, while you're studying.

Yeah, apparently they really don't want you to have a job as it takes up too much time. Also, if you need the money that badly, they'll give it to you (They have hardship funds and stuff) :smile:
Original post by soutioirsim
Yeah, apparently they really don't want you to have a job as it takes up too much time. Also, if you need the money that badly, they'll give it to you (They have hardship funds and stuff) :smile:

...even with 9 grand fees?

Original post by loopy786
Whoops, sorry OP.. I should read things better.. I jsut added something I thought might help.. why the negative rep? :smile:

Nah, sorry if it wasn't clear... I don't know why someone neg repped you for that.
Reply 4
Original post by TenaciousMonkey

Nah, sorry if it wansn't clear... I don't know why someone neg repped you for that.

No, don't worry; it's my fault. :smile: And I don't know either, but who cares. XD
Reply 5
Most colleges will not allow you to get a job in term time, or if they do it's usually working in college (bar, library etc) for a limited number of hours.

Many students, however, will work during their holidays to earn some spare cash, whether this is a high-flying internship or bar work. Generally the loan is close to enough to live off when supplemented in this way, and colleges are quite generous with hardship funds etc if students really are in trouble.

The fees rise won't affect how you pay your way during university, as they are all paid for after graduation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Money shouldn't be an issue -- there are plenty of bursaries and hardship funds if you need them. Even if you were allowed a job during term time you wouldn't have enough time to do it really; your work would suffer. If you're really strapped for cash, try getting a job for during the holidays instead... that's what I did (night shifts at Asda, gotta love 'em). Other options include doing some tutoring during the holidays, or trying to get paid internship placements for the summers.

EDIT:

Almost definitely, yes.
Reply 7
For Oxford at least: The Oxford opportunity bursary provides you with a good amount if you're struggling, and most colleges have very generous support schemes. The new fees will also not affect your time at university at all. The government will still provide you with a fees loan for the full fees, you'll just have to pay back some money after university.

I know of no one at Oxford who needs a job during term time, or would dream of taking one. Oxford does everything it possibly can to stop you not attending for financial reasons and you shouldn't worry about trying to find a job.

That's why they have student loans.
Thanks everyone for replying, it's put my mind slightly at ease :P
1. you're not allowed (although you can get away with the odd casual thing)

2. with the amount of lectures/studying/sport you'll be doing, having a job as well would be impossible, i don't think i know anybody that wishes we were allowed jobs.

3. they won't let you drop out because of lack of money, would look horrendously bad in the press.
So, I heard that Oxbridge students have trouble finding the time for jobs when they're at university, presumably due to the amount of work they have, and so on. This might be a menial thread but is this actually true? if so, how do you pay your way through uni/how are you planning to with the rising fees and all that?

http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/international_students/visaduring/workingwhilestudying/
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/student_funding/english_students.html

http://www.biomed.cam.ac.uk/gradschool/funds/working.html
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/cambridgebursary/

I know the information is about international students/graduate students respectively - but Oxbridge generally advise against working whilst studying and if you are in need of money; there is support available.

Also, Oxbridge terms are shorter than others - so working through the holidays is an option.

The rise in fees makes no real immediate difference.
Reply 13

When will people actually bother to learn about the new fees system and how it is all covered by student loans. With the increased bursaries, students will be more able to afford university and so less likely to need jobs such as this.

I should add, sometimes colleges offer students jobs like working behind the college bar a few hours per week if the college is confident you can cope with it. These are pretty scarce though, and on the whole working during term time is not allowed.
Oxbridge students are there less than normal university students - leaving more time to earn at home if one wishes. Also, because most students pay reasonably low rents for three years and also eat more in their college too which is naturally cheaper than at other universities where you'll pay more even on the supposed cheap.

I'm in that difficult position where I can't have any bursaries or anything but my parents can't afford to help me very much. Yet money wise I know I will be fine - the support is there, as said by other members, and after costing things out it will cost me not all that much (even when you include vast amounts on alcohol haha)
Reply 15

'Proposed'
An institution like Oxford can charge 9000, and will charge 9000.

On the topic of the thread, there's no way im going through university without a job... There are so many undergraduates where i work, most graduating this year. They have time to do 10-20 hours a week, the only thing that screws them up, is they spend the whole weekend in clubs..
Reply 16
Original post by comrade_jon
O
I'm in that difficult position where I can't have any bursaries or anything but my parents can't afford to help me very much. Yet money wise I know I will be fine - the support is there, as said by other members, and after costing things out it will cost me not all that much (even when you include vast amounts on alcohol haha)

I feel i'd be in a very similar position to you. Parents earn just below the maximum income allowance for busaries (although if its combined im screwed..) but they have way too many bills to support me.. The only thing im betting on, is being out the house should greatly reduce the food, electricity and arguments in the house :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by Jampolo
I feel i'd be in a very similar position to you. Parents earn just below the maximum income allowance for busaries (although if its combined im screwed..) but they have way too many bills to support me.. The only thing im betting on, is being out the house should greatly reduce the food, electricity and arguments in the house :tongue:

Yes it is your parents combined income, and if your parents earn that much EACH then I'd wager they most certainly can afford to help you out, unless you have 6 siblings or something.
Reply 18
Original post by mikeybey
Yes it is your parents combined income, and if your parents earn that much EACH then I'd wager they most certainly can afford to help you out, unless you have 6 siblings or something.

Oh no i didnt mean earn that much each, my mum works 16 hours a week at M&S.. bare in mind i do 15 and a half so its nothing great. Seems like they're just over the limit. Lets just say my parents made a few bad decisions, and they're 'paying' for it..
Reply 19
Original post by Jampolo
Oh no i didnt mean earn that much each, my mum works 16 hours a week at M&S.. bare in mind i do 15 and a half so its nothing great. Seems like they're just over the limit. Lets just say my parents made a few bad decisions, and they're 'paying' for it..

Oh I see, that's a bit **** then! Good luck with your application, and don't worry about money, that's what an overdraft is for!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending