The Student Room Group

How easy is it to switch careers?

I'm going to do a 3 year teaching degree and I've always wanted to become a teacher but because it's such a niche degree I'm not sure what would happen if I wanted to move into another field that has nothing to do with children! I always hear stories of how people have taken degrees like Business then gone into something completely different like Law......not sure what I could do if I decided I wanted to stop teaching.

I was perhaps thinking of doing an English degree or Psychology degree at university(I can go through UCAS adjustment and pick out of the two) then do a PGCE but I've heard an English degree isn't needed to do something English related and I'm not keen on Psychology because of the mass amount of statistics involved. I like the non-science side of it but I suppose there's no point doing a Psychology BA degree as opposed to a Psychology BSc degree.

Can anyone give me advice and tell me if it's possible to change career paths with a teaching degree?
Original post by Superstar6318
I'm going to do a 3 year teaching degree and I've always wanted to become a teacher but because it's such a niche degree I'm not sure what would happen if I wanted to move into another field that has nothing to do with children! I always hear stories of how people have taken degrees like Business then gone into something completely different like Law......not sure what I could do if I decided I wanted to stop teaching.

I was perhaps thinking of doing an English degree or Psychology degree at university(I can go through UCAS adjustment and pick out of the two) then do a PGCE but I've heard an English degree isn't needed to do something English related and I'm not keen on Psychology because of the mass amount of statistics involved. I like the non-science side of it but I suppose there's no point doing a Psychology BA degree as opposed to a Psychology BSc degree.

Can anyone give me advice and tell me if it's possible to change career paths with a teaching degree?

If you've always wanted to be a teacher, why would you want to change?

Thinking about exit routes get very complicated when studying such a specific degree, so why let it cross your mind if you're that dedicated to teaching?
Reply 2
In what year are you currently?

If you're just starting out I would switch to a more generic degree, then study for the PGCE.

If you're quite near the end then just carry on.

I'm pretty sure postgraduate law degrees ask for any degree as long as you get a certain grade, e.g. 2:2.

Business and law aren't completely different by the way.
And, it's possible to change career paths regardless of what you do.
Original post by randomflag
In what year are you currently?

If you're just starting out I would switch to a more generic degree, then study for the PGCE.

If you're quite near the end then just carry on.

I'm pretty sure postgraduate law degrees ask for any degree as long as you get a certain grade, e.g. 2:2.

Business and law aren't completely different by the way.
And, it's possible to change career paths regardless of what you do.

Haven't started uni yet
Reply 4
I would do a generic degree then. From my experience, there are too many teachers at the moment. In a local school, nearly 70 applicants applied for a maternity post. On the other hand you might be interested in the principles of teaching.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending