The Student Room Group

Who are more 'common', Northerners or Southerners?

Scroll to see replies

I lived in Cornwall for 10 years and was told I was moving "Up North" when I moved to Devon. It was a bit weird because I'm from Yorkshire. So if you think like I do the Cornish think EVERYONE is "Northern" :smile:
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Whoaaaa what? Everyone past the North-South divide is homophobic? :lolwut:

When did this become a Northerner-bashing thread?

sadly, since the OP. :frown:
Original post by mikejggilli
I lived in Cornwall for 10 years and was told I was moving "Up North" when I moved to Devon. It was a bit weird because I'm from Yorkshire. So if you think like I do the Cornish think EVERYONE is "Northern" :smile:

And being from Cumbria (right near the wall) I think of everyone as being Southern :biggrin: going to be strange moving to Leeds.... Yorkshire is so far South :wink:
I live in the Midlands. The worst of both worlds.
Original post by Ian Holloway
Who do you think are more 'common', northerners or southerners? I think it would have to be northerners by a long stretch (with perhaps the possible exception of Essex in the south). Down south we speak with etiquette - the Queen's english, if you will. Up north, the locals don't seem very classy at all, there are more chavs and the accents sound rather more vulgar.

What are your thoughts?

Down south. So that includes the Westcountry and the Cockneys does it? :rolleyes:
Original post by noobynoo
they're unintelligent because they're poor and went to rubbish schools. If they were intelligent they would go down south, find a job and be rich. so there! :tongue:

*ahem* - intelligence doesn't equal the status of the school you went to.

I've met really intelligent people who went to schools like this:

who read the Financial Times, go to the theatre regularly and who go to top Unis, like the Oxbridge pair.

I've also met people who went to schools like this:

who read the Sun, act like football hooligans, and didn't progress further beyond leaving school (though if that is their chosen career path, then I won't dispute it). Those people could barely tell the difference between a knife and fork!

Believe it or not (though your ignorance may make you not believe it), I did not get those two images mixed up!

Intellect and success are not based on genetics, not even on the school you went to, but *hard work*!!! Remember, when you are a child, school is not the only source of information that you can use to study whatever it is you're studying!

Quick Reply

Latest