The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

ECA accommodation

Hi, I've got an offer from Edinburgh College of Art for 2nd year painting starting in 2011. I have no idea which accommodation to go for: edinburgh uni seems a bit far away (to carry a massive folder etc), unite is REALLY expensive and I don't know anyone else going to share a house with! Any advice??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarahofthenorth
Hi, I've got an offer from Edinburgh College of Art for 2nd year painting starting in 2011. I have no idea which accommodation to go for: edinburgh uni seems a bit far away (to carry a massive folder etc), unite is REALLY expensive and I don't know anyone else going to share a house with! Any advice??

Hi, I know someone who has appied for 2nd Year Painting too. She is still waiting to hear though :frown: . Looking at the Edinburgh Uni accom, College Wynd isn't too far away. There appears to be a good deal of private rented accom, but getting something close will be a problem there too. Try talking to the Edinburgh Uni & ECA accommodation people - I'm sure they will help. There is also the accomodation section on the ECA Portal (http://portal.eca.ac.uk/). Login as a guest, then select ExtraStuff, then Accommodation.
If the person I know is successful too I know she will be in the same boat as you - so may want to share! When did you get your offer? It has been ages since the applicant day. I'll let her know - fingers crossed she will get in too, and I'm sure she'll contact you. Whatever happens - enjoy ECA :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
There is a IQ Student Accommodation in Fountainbridge, but it can be expensive as well.
Original post by SquarePegRoundHole
Hi, I know someone who has appied for 2nd Year Painting too. She is still waiting to hear though :frown: . Looking at the Edinburgh Uni accom, College Wynd isn't too far away. There appears to be a good deal of private rented accom, but getting something close will be a problem there too. Try talking to the Edinburgh Uni & ECA accommodation people - I'm sure they will help. There is also the accomodation section on the ECA Portal (http://portal.eca.ac.uk/). Login as a guest, then select ExtraStuff, then Accommodation.
If the person I know is successful too I know she will be in the same boat as you - so may want to share! When did you get your offer? It has been ages since the applicant day. I'll let her know - fingers crossed she will get in too, and I'm sure she'll contact you. Whatever happens - enjoy ECA :biggrin:

Thanks, I heard last Wednesday, so maybe it might be worth her calling them? Show interest at least! That portal looks great, I heard about it but had no idea how to find it so thanks for the link :smile: If she does get in it would be nice to hear from her! good luck to her :smile:
Thanks, I heard last Wednesday, so maybe it might be worth her calling them? Show interest at least! That portal looks great, I heard about it but had no idea how to find it so thanks for the link :smile: If she does get in it would be nice to hear from her! good luck to her :smile:

She has, and the response so far has been ".. in the next 2 weeks or so, but we do have until 6th May". All probably true but a bit hard for those who have to wait for a month after attending an applicant day only to receive a rejection. They then have to go for their second option, which is OK, except at this late stage all the best accommodation choices have already been gobbled up! So fingers are still heavily crossed at this end! Was your a conditional offer, or did you nail it and get unconditional :smile:?
She has, and the response so far has been ".. in the next 2 weeks or so, but we do have until 6th May". All probably true but a bit hard for those who have to wait for a month after attending an applicant day only to receive a rejection. They then have to go for their second option, which is OK, except at this late stage all the best accommodation choices have already been gobbled up! So fingers are still heavily crossed at this end! Was your a conditional offer, or did you nail it and get unconditional :smile:?

Oh wow that sucks! My applicant day was on the 11th March, so just less than a month for me to hear. I wonder why that's happened??
Where's her second option ? I hope she hears from Edinburgh soon though, it's just mean!
I got a conditional offer of getting a merit at foundation.
Also, if she does get in, i've found this map of edinburgh uni halls, looks pretty useful :smile:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.5151!fileManager/accomm_locations_20_may_2005.pdf
(edited 13 years ago)
Oh wow that sucks! My applicant day was on the 11th March, so just less than a month for me to hear. I wonder why that's happened??
Where's her second option ? I hope she hears from Edinburgh soon though, it's just mean!
I got a conditional offer of getting a merit at foundation.

I'm guessing that since there are very few places for direct Yr 2 entry that they hang on until last minute to get as many in as possible. I suppose, for example, that some who they make offers to have another 1st choice, which then frees up a slot. Pure speculation on my part of course!
Second choice is a toss up between 2 - One of the UAL colleges or Falmouth. Still waiting to hear from UAL too, but the last interview was only last week.
I'm sure the merit will be a breeze :smile:
Also, if she does get in, i've found this map of edinburgh uni halls, looks pretty useful :smile:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/polopoly_fs/1.5151!fileManager/accomm_locations_20_may_2005.pdf

Thanks.
I'm guessing that since there are very few places for direct Yr 2 entry that they hang on until last minute to get as many in as possible. I suppose, for example, that some who they make offers to have another 1st choice, which then frees up a slot. Pure speculation on my part of course!
Second choice is a toss up between 2 - One of the UAL colleges or Falmouth. Still waiting to hear from UAL too, but the last interview was only last week.
I'm sure the merit will be a breeze :smile:

That's weird, I had my Wimbledon interview last week! Falmouth looks great but so far from me! Is she doing foundation?
That's weird, I had my Wimbledon interview last week! Falmouth looks great but so far from me! Is she doing foundation?

The world is truely a small place, and yes, Falmouth although far away, is very fine indeed! Yes, she is also doing a foundation,
The world is truely a small place, and yes, Falmouth although far away, is very fine indeed! Yes, she is also doing a foundation,

Haha! whereabouts? I'm in manchester :smile:
Haha! whereabouts? I'm in manchester :smile:

Small town, daaarn saaaarf
Small town, daaarn saaaarf

Alrighty! Just got rejected from Wimbledon! Not fussed really :smile: I'm thinking Unite for edinburgh now...
Alrighty! Just got rejected from Wimbledon! Not fussed really :smile: I'm thinking Unite for edinburgh now...

Sorry to hear that, but rejoice in the knowlege that they are very friendly in Scotland (oops, they told me not to tell anyone):biggrin:

That depends on where you live. If you stayed on some of the ones on Cowgate, or even in the Warrender ones in Marchmont, you'd be less than10 mins walk away (assuming you're at the main ECA site).

There is an accommodation sticky thread in the U of E forum which you all might find of interest. It covers the Edinburgh Uni accommodation, the alternatives such a Unite and IQ as well as how to go about finding private accommodation :smile:
Reply 16
Are there any ECA students who are definately going to go for Ed Uni halls over UNITE ones? I think I'm going to go for Kincaids.
Original post by jharvey5
Are there any ECA students who are definately going to go for Ed Uni halls over UNITE ones? I think I'm going to go for Kincaids.

I'm either thinking a flatshare or Edinburgh Uni halls at the moment, but I don't really want to be on Cowgate because it's supposed to be really loud...What course are you doing?
http://uk.easyroommate.com/

This might be useful for anyone looking for flatmates :smile:
Reply 19
I'm either thinking a flatshare or Edinburgh Uni halls at the moment, but I don't really want to be on Cowgate because it's supposed to be really loud...What course are you doing?

i was thinking that but i ve stayed on a hostel on cowgate 3 times - it was noisy but didnt bother me too much. my other consideration was warrender park crescent which looks really nice and is on a park but i just thought i would rather be right in the centre of everything and that i should stop being seduced by the smell of cold stone and fresh lawn. i thought about flatshare too but it sounds a bit too stressful to organise for my first year - especially with a bunch of people that i ve never met (+ i couldnt really just pop to edinburgh to view places.)
im doing sculpture starting in the second year. yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending