The Student Room Group

Durham Vs Bath Vs King's for Business

Hi! I got all 5 offers from:

1. Durham - Business & Management
2.Bath - International Management & German
3. King's - Business & Management
4. Manchester - German&Business&Management
5. Aston - International Business & German

I'm from Bulgaria and after visiting all the universities I can say that the first three appealed to me the most. I like the Durham (despite no language) and Bath courses'. My questions are:

1.Which business school is better? ( has teaching excellence). I've looked at a lot of rankings and although many say that Aston is better for instance than Durham, I'd have to say that there was great difference between the people there. Definitely what I saw in Durham and Stockton was better than in Aston.

So, I'd really like to hear some opinions.

2. Would my undergrad study be crucial for my postgrad ?
3. I also have an offer from Rotterdam School of Management (Erasmus Uni), which according to some rankings (FT) are world-leading. What do you think about them?

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
1. Durham's business school is not rated in the UK. Bath's business department is very good as is King's and Aston's but Bath is the best out of the 5. Pick Bath then King's as insurance.

2. Doesn't really matter? If you do an undergrad course elsewhere, you can always do a postgrade course in the UK.

3. Rotterdam is a good uni but the UK universities are better, I would say. Don't take rankings to heart; they do not always tell the full story.

Another thing you would have to consider are the fees; is it cheaper to do the course in Rotterdam? If so, maybe you should consider it. Good luck!
Reply 2
I'd say Manchester is the best in the choices, closely followed by Durham and Bath, then King's then Aston.
Reply 3
for undergrad business rep: bath, manc/aston, kings, durham
Warwick. Oh.

Then Kings, mainly because it's in London.

Durham's a gigantic NO, because it's taught on the crappy Queens Campus, which is in Stockton, not Durham!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Bath, placement year + brilliant business school will put you in a great position when you come out of your degree.
Reply 6
Original post by Alexisonfire
Warwick. Oh.

Then Kings, mainly because it's in London.

Durham's a gigantic NO, because it's taught on the crappy Queens Campus, which is in Stockton, not Durham!

I am aware that it's taught in Stockton. Having already been there, I thinks it's ok and I get the best from both worlds-beautiful Durham (when visiting the language centre) and modern Queen's.

What really matters to me is why do you think King's programme is better. Where does it beat the other two. Because both Durham and Bath have exchange and placement options and King's only offer an exchange option as far as I know.
Reply 7
Thanks for your replies. It would really help me if you valuate them in terms of

1.Teaching excellence
2.Reputation in the UK
3. International reputation and reckognition
4. A good mixture of teaching and practice in the programme
5. Students I would meet - It's important to me to know who goes to those course, what type of people. Actually, I think this is of major asset tbh
Reply 8
Original post by hris
Thanks for your replies. It would really help me if you valuate them in terms of

1.Teaching excellence
2.Reputation in the UK
3. International reputation and reckognition
4. A good mixture of teaching and practice in the programme
5. Students I would meet - It's important to me to know who goes to those course, what type of people. Actually, I think this is of major asset tbh

Reason I would go for Bath is the placement year, placement years are invaluable as companies these days don't just want a degree, they want you to have valuable work experience and seeing as the Bath placement years will be linked to business this will put you in the best graduate position out of all the universities you have applied to.

Durhams Business school isn't that well known and I would say Bath's is quite a lot stronger, I don't know much about the others but that placement year is key if you want to be a step up from all the other graduates.

Prestige is very much over-hyped it really comes down to work experience, good degree (2-1 or first), and how you do in the interview.

Prestige will only really come into with investment banking and even then, work experience still is vital and I would say a student coming from a top 10/20 university with work experience is better than a student coming from the top 5 with none.

I can't answer the rest of your questions as I honestly don't know but hope this helps :smile:
Firm: Bath
Insurance: Kings

Definitely not Durham.
Reply 10
Original post by Melting Sugar.
Firm: Bath
Insurance: Kings

Definitely not Durham.

can I ask why not Durham (i've got an offer from bath for a bachelors + placement & a bachelors + masters + placement for Durham)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending