The Student Room Group

Do you agree that librarians are one of the most underrated professions?

From what I've noticed people think of librarians as little more than clerks. They seem completely unaware that you need a MASTER'S degree to become a librarian(in the US) or a bachelor's(in the UK). Not to mention that people still think that the only thing librarians do is put books on shelves!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kelpic
From what I've noticed people think of librarians as little more than clerks. They seem completely unaware that you need a MASTER'S degree to become a librarian(in the US) or a bachelor's(in the UK). Not to mention that people still think that the only thing librarians do is put books on shelves!!

Isn't that all they do?
/Ignorance
Reply 2
ones in our college just go on facebook..and get up for the odd shouting at people talking and putting books away(even then the college has students doing that with some moneys)
Reply 3
I must confess that I was not aware of how highly qualified a librarian must be. I am also not aware of what their job involves. Please enlighten me.
Well, it is quite a boring profession, isn't it, really? Not one that I imagine many people would enjoy doing day in day out.
The librarian at my old Secondary School was an absolute genius, he knew a little about everything and was the go to guy if you needed to know something.

But generally, the librarians in my local library are rude, uncooperative and really lacking job satisfaction. :frown:
Really, you need a degree to become a librarian? The only thing our college librarians seem to do is patrol the area and bitch at anyone who hasn't got their ID card out on display.
Don't get me started on college librarians.............Evil would be a compliment, the way
some of them behave
Original post by kelpic

No.
I'm sure 1 of our librarians in our school isn't even legally allowed into this country, she always legs it whenever she has to go, and she disappears and can't be tracked
Reply 10
My mum's a librarian. She doesn't have a degree and I don't think the job deserves any more merit than it already does…
The librarians at my school take their jobs way too seriously.
Reply 12
I don't really rate their profession all that much.
Reply 13
Librarians are jobsworths
(well at my college anyway)
Reply 14
Original post by Singh993
Don't get me started on college librarians.............Evil would be a compliment, the way
some of them behave

So true!
isnt being a librarian something people say to threaten people to do better in school?
Reply 16
Original post by Banger
Isn't that all they do?
/Ignorance

No, that's what they do in movies. In reality that's what library ASSISTANTS and TECHNICIANS do(yes those jobs actualy exist lol)
Reply 17
Original post by Zottula
I must confess that I was not aware of how highly qualified a librarian must be. I am also not aware of what their job involves. Please enlighten me.

Just google 'librarian job description'. They help people do research plus they deal with EVERYTHING that has to do with management/administration. Also read my answer above.
Reply 18
Original post by jismith1989
Well, it is quite a boring profession, isn't it, really? Not one that I imagine many people would enjoy doing day in day out.

It's for studious people that like books, reading anf the tranquil atmosphere of the library.
the librarian at my 6th form college is so scary, that even the proper teachers are scared of her! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending