The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamiepango
I agree with the risk. Only the very confident (not us) would apply for all top universities without any safe/backup options :wink:

If you are naturally confident, can express your views and argue well, then the interview would give you a great chance.

I wish you all the best! :smile:

Cheers mate :tongue:
Reply 301
Original post by crazycake93
The D was in Spanish :P

I admit that yes the top universities will base more emphasis on AS grades, however i'm not sure i'm willing to take that risk. Though I am applying to 2 amazing uni's Durham and Cambridge. Hopefully I can atleast get an interview at Cambridge, which I can show off my keeness in Economics :tongue: (don't know if i spelt keeness right btw)

That's the dilemma I think most of us have. Do you risk applying to all of the top universities, or apply to a few where you'll know you'll get offers!

I think for most of here, the problem isn't fulfilling the offer (A*AA), but being given an offer.

It's keenness by the way - it's a horrible word. :cool:
Original post by Groat
That's the dilemma I think most of us have. Do you risk applying to all of the top universities, or apply to a few where you'll know you'll get offers!

I think for most of here, the problem isn't fulfilling the offer (A*AA), but being given an offer.

It's keenness by the way - it's a horrible word. :cool:

Very true, well i guess GCSE's is how they weed out the very best from the best :frown:
Should've revised during GCSE's... I wasn't aware as to how important they are.
Reply 303
I think I am going to take a risk and apply to all top universities (top 15). I don't see the point in spending a lot of time and money somewhere I'm not happy and would rather take a gap year and reapply with achieved grades (and maybe the full A2 in further maths).

Btw crazycake I'm in a similar situation to you with GCSEs, mine are good (5A* 4A 2B) but not that good. Some people on here will have the full 12A* and everything they need at A-level and that's who we have to compete against, but don't sell yourself out because of 'poor' GCSEs (did you go to a state school btw, because this will definitely be taken into consideration especially for GCSEs). Also I'm not aware that Bath place much emphasis on GCSEs, where did you hear this?
Reply 304
Original post by tateco
I think I am going to take a risk and apply to all top universities (top 15). I don't see the point in spending a lot of time and money somewhere I'm not happy and would rather take a gap year and reapply with achieved grades (and maybe the full A2 in further maths).

Btw crazycake I'm in a similar situation to you with GCSEs, mine are good (5A* 4A 2B) but not that good. Some people on here will have the full 12A* and everything they need at A-level and that's who we have to compete against, but don't sell yourself out because of 'poor' GCSEs (did you go to a state school btw, because this will definitely be taken into consideration especially for GCSEs). Also I'm not aware that Bath place much emphasis on GCSEs, where did you hear this?

I'm certainly with you on the top 15 business! People are slightly shocked when I tell them the universities I plan to apply to. I know I can get the grades, so I'd also rather take a year out and re-apply.

When you talk about GCSE grades, I remember hearing that it's compared against your school in general, so I wouldn't worry if you were near the top of the spectrum (at your school).
I also agree about applying to the top universities. If I am going to be paying £9000 a year, I would like to go to a Uni that I actually want to go to and that offers the best job prospects. I am aiming for either Warwick, Bristol or Edinburgh <3 If I don't get one of those, I'll probably reapply next year with my A-Level grades already achieved (assuming they are any good :s-smilie: )
Reply 306
Original post by thegenius31416
I also agree about applying to the top universities. If I am going to be paying £9000 a year, I would like to go to a Uni that I actually want to go to and that offers the best job prospects. I am aiming for either Warwick, Bristol or Edinburgh <3 If I don't get one of those, I'll probably reapply next year with my A-Level grades already achieved (assuming they are any good :s-smilie: )

Having looked at the St Andrews prospectus, it does look amazing but I don't want to have to travel so far. :frown: Where in the country are you situated? I assume you're fine going up to Scotland and it isn't going to bother you!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Groat
Having looked at the St Andrews prospectus, it does look amazing but I don't want to have to travel so far. :frown: Where in the country are you situated? I assume you're fine going up to Scotland isn't going to bother you!

I'm down near London :tongue: so it would be quite far but I can get to Heathrow or City airport quite easily. From there it would just be one quick (and also reasonably cheap) flight to Edinburgh. I probably would only fly back for Christmas and at the end of the year so it'd be alright and Edinburgh has both a fantastic course and is a lovely city so it'd be worth it :biggrin:
Reply 308
Definitely agree with you both, luckily I am up at the top with my GCSE grades so hopefully they'll just tick a box with them and move on to more relevant and recent qualifications...

Edinburgh and St. Andrews do both look really good, I'm just not one to travel, I want to be 3 hours from home maximum I think, luckily for me all the good universities I like are concentrated in a small area
Original post by tateco
Definitely agree with you both, luckily I am up at the top with my GCSE grades so hopefully they'll just tick a box with them and move on to more relevant and recent qualifications...

You got 5A*s 3As 2Bs? They are good results but I would still be wary of where you apply to make sure you don't get rejected by 5 GCSE crazy Universities. :smile:
Reply 310
You got 5A*s 3As 2Bs? They are good results but I would still be wary of where you apply to make sure you don't get rejected by 5 GCSE crazy Universities. :smile:

Yeah, I know they are good but I do need to be careful. I think with strong AS results then they have no reason to reject me. Nottingham and Warwick will probably be the only two GCSE crazy ones, Bath and Cambridge aren't too bothered about GCSEs and I'm yet to decide on my fifth
Reply 311
I didnt think that warwick are GCSE crazy, my friends brother goes there and he didnt have very good GCSE's, but then again he's doing physics it might be different for economics.

i also agree about not wating time or money at a university that I don't like or one that is not a top uni with great job prospects
Reply 312
Original post by cat_cat
I didnt think that warwick are GCSE crazy, my friends brother goes there and he didnt have very good GCSE's, but then again he's doing physics it might be different for economics.

i also agree about not wating time or money at a university that I don't like or one that is not a top uni with great job prospects

There is rumours they like 9A* GCSE but I don't think it's a reason not to pick it. I'm sure not everyone getting in has 9A*s at GCSE and I'm sure there is much more important things for them to consider
Original post by tateco
They sound like good choices, I'm thinking about Cambridge, LSE, Bath, Nottingham and then one more more insurancey place, preferably one thats not fussy about me having mediocre GCSEs! LSE would be my dream uni too

Original post by Groat
Did any of you take OCR F581 this January? How did you do?

Are you guys applying for straight economics?
Reply 314
Original post by asdfg0987

In most cases yes, considering maybe Economics and Econometrics if I apply to Nottingham or Bristol but most likely straight economics. Why?
Reply 315
Original post by tateco
There is rumours they like 9A* GCSE but I don't think it's a reason not to pick it. I'm sure not everyone getting in has 9A*s at GCSE and I'm sure there is much more important things for them to consider

Thats true AS grades, personal statement and predictedgrades must be more important than GCSE's
Reply 316
Original post by asdfg0987

Yes, although my Oxbridge choice is still up in the air, so potentially Economics and Management.

How about you?
Original post by cat_cat
Thats true AS grades, personal statement and predictedgrades must be more important than GCSE's

The problem is though that loads of applicants (more than there are places) will have top AS grades, subject choices and predicted grades. It is also quite difficult to work out whether your personal statement is going to tick the boxes of the universities you have applied to. This is why GCSEs are becoming a more important factor in giving out offers.
Reply 318
The problem is though that loads of applicants (more than there are places) will have top AS grades, subject choices and predicted grades. It is also quite difficult to work out whether your personal statement is going to tick the boxes of the universities you have applied to. This is why GCSEs are becoming a more important factor in giving out offers.

You have a good point, i just wish i knew this when I was doing GCSE's :frown:
I went to a school where teachers didnt really care and I was never told how important they could be.
Reply 319
Original post by cat_cat
You have a good point, i just wish i knew this when I was doing GCSE's :frown:
I went to a school where teachers didnt really care and I was never told how important they could be.

Exactly the same here. Didn't do too much revision, especially for crappy subjects that I hated like english and french, that's what let me down :|

Latest

Trending

Trending