The Student Room Group

Cost of getting braces privately

How much would it cost to get them done privately? I'm talking about just regular braces. I went to my dentist and he refused to send me to an orthodontist saying that they had bigger worries. I'm 16 (17 next month) so theoretically I'm still entitled to free NHS dental care. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
bump :P
You're not entitled to free braces if your teeth aren't bad enough. The cost depends on how bad your teeth are/ what treatment you'll need. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1781.aspx?categoryid=74&subcategoryid=742
Reply 3
It depends on the state of your teeth and can vary massively, but it averages around £2000. If you can get it on the NHS, do.
Reply 4
I think mine worked out at around £1800 and my teeth were pretty bad, I had them on for almost 2 years!
It cost me (my parents :ninja:) around £2,000 which was for white braces as opposed to the metallic ones that I could have got free on the NHS.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Woah, that's a lot! I went before around 3 years ago and they said I was one band too low to be eligible but I think my teeth have worsened
Reply 7
Its definetely worth it. I had braces in high school, but failed to wear the retainers, and paid the price for that by having to spend £2000 odd on straightening em again. DEFINETELY worth it, tangible and intangible benefts. JUST DO IT
Reply 8
Original post by PlasticBag
Its definetely worth it. I had braces in high school, but failed to wear the retainers, and paid the price for that by having to spend £2000 odd on straightening em again. DEFINETELY worth it, tangible and intangible benefts. JUST DO IT

Huh?
Reply 9
Should I book a dentist appointment about the braces, or should I just go and ask him to refer me?
Reply 10
It depends on how bad your teeth are.I had a right game getting mine on the NHS but then i hear some people who get them easy.
Reply 11
Original post by sassy123
It depends on how bad your teeth are.I had a right game getting mine on the NHS but then i hear some people who get them easy.

I've been once before when I was 13 (had different dentist) and they said I was one level below the required level to get them, but I think they've gotten considerably worse since
Reply 12
Original post by sassy123

Btw how did you finally get them? My dentist seems to be really stringent
Reply 13
Original post by Lewis :D

[QUOTE=Lewis [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace];30865447]Btw how did you finally get them? My dentist seems to be really stringent

Ask him to refer you - for a quote. Generally, aesthetic dentistry is never on the NHS. I had a small gap between my front teeth, but my bite was fine, so had to pay for them myself (parents).
Reply 14
For the kind of braces most suitable for me, the ortho quoted £2,600.:frown:

Your teeth obviously aren't too bad, so it would probably be the lower end of the scale.
£1700 :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Osman1993
Ask him to refer you - for a quote. Generally, aesthetic dentistry is never on the NHS. I had a small gap between my front teeth, but my bite was fine, so had to pay for them myself (parents).

How expensive was it if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 17
Original post by Lewis :D

[QUOTE=Lewis [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace];30865742]How expensive was it if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, not sure really, because you get a dental plan so you pay gradually - but below £1000. It fluctuates wildly depending on the person.
Reply 18
Original post by Osman1993
Sorry, not sure really, because you get a dental plan so you pay gradually - but below £1000. It fluctuates wildly depending on the person.

Hey, thanks for the info, i'll sure get it checked out!
Reply 19
My mother proned and they said £2,500 :redface: WTF

Quick Reply

Latest