The Student Room Group

Saudis to build world's tallest skyscraper - double the size of the Burj Khalifa!

Scroll to see replies

Imagine dropping a penny off the top of that...
Original post by crazycake93
Imagine dropping a penny off the top of that...

Would probably burn up while re-entering the atmosphere. lol
Original post by the_gooner
Would probably burn up while re-entering the atmosphere. lol

Imagine throwing £10 in pennies off the top.....

People on the ground will probably think it's Armageddon :tongue:
It's OK for some countries. They won't have to be worrying about aeroplanes flying through their buildings, the scum.
Original post by crazycake93
Imagine throwing £10 in pennies off the top.....

People on the ground will probably think it's Armageddon :tongue:

haha, brilliant way for bored office workers to have a laugh
Reply 145
Hmm solving the poverty or....building a massive ugly as **** penis?
Why are people complaining for? Jealousy? We could say the same about the olympics, what is the point of wasting billions when we have poverty in this country?
I say bravo to the Arabs- and well done on pushing boundaries and building something spectacular. I am proud of them.
Original post by the_gooner
haha, brilliant way for bored office workers to have a laugh

You could probably stop a terrorist too..

If he's holding somone hostage, you could tactically aim a penny and get all the glory... and 72 virgins...
Original post by storna

I agree with the architect who calls this tower 'phallic'. What's up with the Arab world penis measuring with architecture?

They're compensating :wink:
You guys are such a load of dicks.
KSA is not that reliant on oil.
30 percent of revenues also come from Hajj and Umrah industry.
This tower is in Jeddah 56 KM away from Mecca and they are looking to exploit the Umrah industry. Currently there are restrictions on pilgrims intending to explore KSA beyond the holy cities so it s a potential money spinner.
To those guys who know **** about KSA butt off and ask those who actually live here.
KSA provides a lot of welfare similar to that of England to it s local population.
Unemployment benefits are many starting from 2000 SR per month.
There are no taxes so all the income earned by the populace stays with them.
Huge subsidies on electricity and water and now in the recent budget loans to buy a house have been increased. Obviously there will be unhappy folks just LIKE any other country.

Brits are just 24/7 complaining bitches
Also this tower has been commissioned by Prince Alwaleed Bin Talaal and not the government and this Prince has a HOLDING COMPANY with shares in 29 multinational firms around the world.

THIS is a PURE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY AND I WOULD BE A COMPLETE DICK OF A BILLIONAIRE IF I DONT EXPLOIT THIS SITUATION IN WHICH 19 MILLION PEOPLE ANNUALLY COME TO VISIT NEARBY PLACES AND IN WHICH MAJORITY OF CITY RESIDENTS HAVE WEALTH OF 20000 DOLLARS PLUS.
(edited 13 years ago)
It would've been impressive if they invested their money building more new, well reputed and recognized universities. Not everyone can afford to study abroad. $18 billion on building the world's tallest skyscraper is just ridiculous.
Original post by Arsenal4lif
Also this tower has been commissioned by Prince Alwaleed Bin Talaal and not the government and this Prince has a HOLDING COMPANY with shares in 29 multinational firms around the world.

THIS is a PURE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY AND I WOULD BE A COMPLETE DICK OF A BILLIONAIRE IF I DONT EXPLOIT THIS SITUATION IN WHICH 19 MILLION PEOPLE ANNUALLY COME TO VISIT NEARBY PLACES AND IN WHICH MAJORITY OF CITY RESIDENTS HAVE WEALTH OF 20000 DOLLARS PLUS.

Original post by Ramox3
Hats off Sir , Arab here.

People accept capitalism on themselves but hate to see it being applied by others, the motives behind this building aren't just a matter of showing off, its a property investment aiming to make profit in the long run.

You don't honestly believe that this is IN ANY WAY a business decision? The Burj Khalifa makes a huge loss and is mostly empty. The Burj is next to the Dubai Maill and next to the Dubai World Trade Centre; this is twice as tall and is in a country that makes it extremely difficult to do business. There is zero chance that this Tower will come anywhere near breaking even.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 153
Original post by -M$ Ultr@-
It would've been impressive if they invested their money building more new, well reputed and recognized universities. Not everyone can afford to study abroad. $18 billion on building the world's tallest skyscraper is just ridiculous.

You can't (physically) build a seat of learning, a centre of scholarship...

You can build a mile high tower. :biggrin:
Reply 154
It's wrong to assume the Saudi govt is wholly bad. They're not. The Perisan gulf states have efficient welfare systems set-up to the point even water is free in some countries.
Reply 155
Original post by Hamesh
It's wrong to assume the Saudi govt is wholly bad. They're not. The Perisan gulf states have efficient welfare systems set-up to the point even water is free in some countries.

Very true.

We dwell on the bad... dwell and dwell.

As Jesus said - look to take the log out of your own eye before taking the speck out of your brother's.
Original post by DONTBUGME

You can't (physically) build a seat of learning, a centre of scholarship...

You can build a mile high tower. :biggrin:

They need education more than a tower at the moment. :p: They've got enough of skyscrapers in Makkah and Madinah

I'd be impressed if this plot was designed by the Saudis, its just their money. :p:
Original post by Hamesh

Original post by Hamesh

That's true!
Reply 158
Original post by -M$ Ultr@-
That's true!

Very true.

We dwell on the bad... dwell and dwell.

As Jesus said - look to take the log out of your own eye before taking the speck out of your brother's.

Thanks, bros! :smile:
Of course there are some areas, the House of Saud needs improving, namely, being more transparent. But on the whole, it's a false dilemma to assume they're either completely bad or they're either completely good, when that isn't the case.
Why Jeddah? Why at all...

After living in Saudi, all that money would be bunch better spent on impoving the infrastructure or making the cities look a little prettier. Most parts of Khobar are just sand and concrete. I always wondered with all the money that they have why can't they just do it? It's not like it wouldn't take much just to make the place look a little cleaner and greener and less like this: (street to my old house)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending